Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So... Adventure mode is becoming a bit boring.  (Read 4588 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
So... Adventure mode is becoming a bit boring.
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:40:19 am »

Every one of my games is just the same old conquer the world and get killed by a horse. Could you reccomend me some challenged?

Note: Being a peasant is not a challenge, in my opinion. It just requires a bit more grinding.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: So... Adventure mode is becoming a bit boring.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:44:01 am »

Take your adventurer into hell? 

If you want a challenge, try going for a total pacifist challenge.  How can you complete quests like this?  Go into stealth mode, burn something near the enemy, wait for them to die.  Or use other indirect means. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:50:39 am »

Take your adventurer into hell?   

Ahh, yes. I just need to know how I can get him or her there reliably.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:53:00 am »

Make fort, dig down, dig stairs, reach hell, abandon.  Go there in Adv. Mode, pull the adamantine sword. 

Never did this myself btw, I'm a newb, but other people have done this. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:54:18 am »

Make fort, dig down, dig stairs, reach hell, abandon.  Go there in Adv. Mode, pull the adamantine sword. 
I can never find where my fort is :(

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 07:57:29 am »

I can never find where my fort is :(

Do an island continent, memorize the landscape.  Always play as a dwarf adventurer, you'll start in dwarven lands. 

Remember, this is information I got from other sources. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:29:43 am »

After you abandon, check the "reclaim" option to see it on the world map. Then note where you start on the adventure civ. picking screen map, and travel i nan appropriate direction.

Also you can use mods with magic a crafting. Make a challenge; kill and make totems out of megabeasts and titans using only crafted gear.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 11:41:18 am »

Yeah after a while it start to wear really thin, looking at the development page it feels almost disheartening too see all the awesome stuff Toady has planned for it but at the same time how oh so incredibly far from 90% of them the game is, I really wish he would get some help to speed up the dev process.

As for what you could do going to hell is a nice option,  though you won't last 5 minutes there no matter how high your stats are or how good your gear is.

Or you know, you could just play another roguelike for a while, I really like Dungeon crawl SS, I also play a lot of Powder on my DS, but there are windows, linux and mac builds too.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 12:11:24 pm »

On the topic of other games, try switching to Genesis Mod. I did it recently when I got bored, and holy shit does it spice adventure up. The bandits are actually dangerous now. Might want to add some [CAN_SPEAK] to the new default playables if you're not gonna do fort though.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 01:07:05 pm »

Chain forgotten beasts at the bumpers so that their (hopefully not) deadly dust pushes the gobbo away when he gets close.

Also build a tunnel going down one of the sides which has a GCS silk harvester in it so he goes down it really slowly and you get more points.
[Signature]

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 10:23:57 pm »

On the topic of other games, try switching to Genesis Mod. I did it recently when I got bored, and holy shit does it spice adventure up. The bandits are actually dangerous now. Might want to add some [CAN_SPEAK] to the new default playables if you're not gonna do fort though.

Genesis Mod is cool, but it does not really offer that much of a new experience.  After the initial thrill of playing as a bronze colossus wears off, it's just more of the same, really.  Unless somebody really makes a mod that completely revamps adventure mode, it's just gonna be mostly the same, until Toady changes it, which will probably be years from now. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 10:33:50 pm »

Tharwen, wrong thread? I presume that's talking about the Goblin Pinball project? Sadly, you can't chain forgotten beasts, because they're untameable. I might be wrong, though.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 12:01:02 am »

On the topic of other games, try switching to Genesis Mod.

I use Genesis all the time. 'Tis fun.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 02:20:49 am »

Tharwen, wrong thread? I presume that's talking about the Goblin Pinball project? Sadly, you can't chain forgotten beasts, because they're untameable. I might be wrong, though.

Oh. You're right. Oh well, I suppose it would probably liven up Adventure mode a bit...
[Signature]

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 03:53:57 am »

Oh. You're right. Oh well, I suppose it would probably liven up Adventure mode a bit...
well you could try the Beastmaster challenge and try to tame* and capture all the known mega semimega beasts in the land.
though this means using Dfusion to convince them in not murdering you and runesmith to keep track of all of them from your pen.
only asking for surroundings and never doing kill quests so the beast never be aggro on when you get there.
Or wait until I can either get a modder to help me make a infected/wizard/magic transformation/ conversion mod using DFhack.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: [1] 2