Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Living with Kobolds  (Read 3493 times)

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Living with Kobolds
« on: September 14, 2011, 07:22:06 pm »

So, I found a volcano in Legends mode and decided to embark on it. I did notice there was a civilization nearby, but didn't think anything of it. I embark and get a message that I have discovered a cave. I look around for the cave and notice 'k's everywhere. Kobolds! I check the units screen and see that they are friendly. Interesting.

I'm wondering how this will go. Will I get visits by kobold thieves? If I fight a kobold thief does that mean I will get attacked by the kobolds on the map? Will they mind if I claim the junk they have and send it away on a caravan?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Living with Kobolds
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:23:58 pm »

Experiment for !!science!!.   If in doubt, prepare to flood the cave with lava at the pull of a lever.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:26:13 pm »

That thought had come to mind. I do have a volcano after all, so it should be a relatively simple matter to set up an emergency anti-kobold lava system or some such.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 07:28:34 pm »

Easy?  Yes, just don't be careless.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 08:05:21 pm »

Kobolds aren't that tough, but if they turn hostile early then you might have problems. As I recall from tales of people embarking on sites with "friendly" goblins, they will turn hostile as soon as the goblins attack you. I don't recall if they need to siege for this to happen though; if a goblin ambush can turn the natives goblins hostile then I imagine a kobold ambush can do likewise. Otherwise, kobolds never siege you so no worries.

Anyway, can you post worldgen parameters and location and any mods you may be using? I kinda wanna embark with 7 military dwarves and see how many I can kill. XD
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 08:25:10 pm »

I'd like your world seeds and embark location as well.  I've never heard of anyone finding a kobold cave like that before.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:34:31 pm »

Kobolds aren't that tough, but if they turn hostile early then you might have problems. As I recall from tales of people embarking on sites with "friendly" goblins, they will turn hostile as soon as the goblins attack you. I don't recall if they need to siege for this to happen though; if a goblin ambush can turn the natives goblins hostile then I imagine a kobold ambush can do likewise. Otherwise, kobolds never siege you so no worries.

Anyway, can you post worldgen parameters and location and any mods you may be using? I kinda wanna embark with 7 military dwarves and see how many I can kill. XD
I thought if you let the kobolds take enough treasure* they will eventually get bold enough to try and siege you for all your goodies?

* i.e., elven loincloths, socks, wooden arms and armor, etc
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 08:37:08 pm »

They will.  It's the most adorable ambushes EVER!

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:50:21 pm »

Sieges, not just ambushes?

I wouldn't know; I almost never let thieves get away with ANYTHING.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 08:53:45 pm »

I've gotten ambushes, but then I rarely even get goblin sieges, just great big ambushes.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 08:55:02 pm »

Y'know, everytime I see "adorable kobolds" I immediately want to kill them, Happy Tree Friends-style.

I tend to create worlds with 10-12 goblin forts (I modded them to live in castles, yeah, FUN to storm these) and 4-5 kobold caves, each with 200 residents. I don't embark over them, though. My adventurers are the happiest adventurers in the world (while they live that is).

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 09:34:33 pm »

Y'know, everytime I see "adorable kobolds" I immediately want to kill them, Happy Tree Friends-style.

I tend to create worlds with 10-12 goblin forts (I modded them to live in castles, yeah, FUN to storm these) and 4-5 kobold caves, each with 200 residents. I don't embark over them, though. My adventurers are the happiest adventurers in the world (while they live that is).
I recently found out that in ADnD, the table for "random number of kobolds encountered" ranges from 2 to 400. And our level 1 party happened to find a room containing 280 of them.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 09:44:59 pm »

They raped noserubbed you to death?

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 09:57:49 pm »

This is a bit off topic but am i the only person to imagine kobolds to sorta like lizards crossed with Felynes from monster hunter?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:05:50 pm by Monkeyfacedprickleback »

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 10:03:20 pm »

Living with Kobolds sounds like it could be the name of a reality television show.

I'd watch it.
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.
Pages: [1] 2 3