Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: I need a new space station 13 server.  (Read 12589 times)

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need a new space station 13 server.
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 02:46:45 pm »

You must be looking at the wrong server, Matz.  /tg/ is pretty much the most populated single SS13 server around - byond://fornoreason.servehttp.com:1337
(It seems to be down right now, but I'm sure it'll be up soon.)

Also... all the servers have pretty rampant elitism.  BS12 is just elitist about something different.  Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals, who form an elite — a select group of people with intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight.

In the case of BS12, the "elite" would be people who are good roleplayers and who play the game the way we like to play.  Yes, we favor them, and we try to cater to them, because we want more of them, and less of people who need shiny or explosive things dangled in front of them constantly to keep entertained.  As I said in the other thread, there are plenty of servers that cater to players who need constant stimulus - but BS12 is not one of them.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 02:52:02 pm »

Seriously all this: "<INSERT_SERVER_NAME_HERE> sucks, because SS13 should be <INSERT_SOMETHING_HERE> instead of <INSERT_SOMETHING_ELSE_HERE>" is stupid.

If you like to run around the station naked, killing everyone you meet, you have a server for that. If you want slightly less silliness and killing, you have a server for that. If you want to do your uneventful and boring job as a crew person, you have a server for that. If none of those work for you, you can either play something else or get your own server.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 02:59:25 pm »

In the case of BS12, the "elite" would be people who are good roleplayers and who play the game the way we like to play.
??? More like all the server hosts (and mods slightly less so) are.

And it's not a need for constant stimuli that people want..it's not having 4+ hour rounds where people are not dying at all. What is the point of even playing for that long? In that amount of time I could use up all the chemicals in the entire ship, light the engine, and then have a couple hours to spare to walk around the hallways. There's no teamwork required really in how the game works if things aren't happening. Where's the fun in sitting in a tiny room for hours?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2011, 03:10:09 pm »

I for one strongly welcome - and offer my time to - creating a new Server, hitting a fair middle ground between the extremes we have...

You know, Quality fun. Getting beaten to death by a blunt object is not quality fun.

I also strongly recommend (and what I enjoyed doing a lot) having a very GM/DM (Like in D&D) focused server, I had awesome feedback when I basically dedicated my time to making every round entertaining and challenging at the same time, allowing players to take many different roles.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 04:40:26 pm »

That sounds excelent.

I see that the /tg/ even has (just a few) DF references,so it seems a lot of B12ers want things on a spectrum between BS12 and /tg/.

Focus on admin rounds sounds epic too. Some of the most fun rounds are of the "and now for something completely different" type. Like Thunderdoming after a long, serious round. Or the occasional zombie or alien invasion.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2011, 04:42:47 pm »

Any one here have any coding experience and or server space available?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 07:44:28 pm »

Well if someone is willing to take on a student and teach me how to play you can expect a good Rper to be a friend for life , With my video card that just burned out i am running on nothing but my integrated one so i am SOL with others games .

Aka. I got time to play now lol

Message me with details and i will follow .

ps. Dear god i didn't realize how much i miss playing my games after a hard day at work ..So stressed out and its only been 1 day ...i am so screwed

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2011, 08:03:29 pm »

Honestly if you ever followed the history of baystation12 you'd know that everyone who wasn't a complete asshole who hated the notion of anything fun left long ago.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2011, 08:38:32 pm »

I am one of the active coders for /tg/station 13. I can say we're just as active, if not more, as Goonstation (the only thing between us and them in activity is you can't see their updates in real-time like you can with tgstation). I'd recommend tgstation to someone who wants casual roleplay. Most people on the server enjoy and appreciate good roleplaying, because they come from /tg/, aka traditional games (DnD, 40k, etc). You just have to put up with the occasional griefing, chaos, what-the-fuck-just-happened moments, etc.

There's a bunch of people in the community that are just complete jerkwads, like any server. However, the administration staff is the most decent, albeit slightly dramatic, group of people I've seen on any SS13 server. All in all, it just depends on what kind of gameplay experience you want:

Goonstation - If you like action, guns, insanely chaotic rounds, silly joke things like poop and piss, etc. you will love this server!

/tg/station (not including the other servers that use the tg code) - Between goonstation and baystation in terms of RP. Not too much, not too little. The occasional round will be a massive clusterfuck.

Baystation - sadly, very empty usually. From what I gather, they've got a tight-knit community going for them. Heavy, strict roleplay and realistic game mechanics. If you open an airlock without first depressurizing the room, or break a window, you WILL either slam into a wall and break all your bones or fly into space in a second.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2011, 08:54:49 pm »

Honestly if you ever followed the history of baystation12 you'd know that everyone who wasn't a complete asshole who hated the notion of anything fun left long ago.

You mean those guys that hated playing with anyone that wasn't in their close knit group of 5 or 6 friends?

Those guys that felt the server should be limited to 10 people because anything more than that just gets too crazy!?

Those guys that consistently said the community was 80% morons?

The guys that said we should have a whitelist server that you can only get into if you are "deemed worthy" by the roleplay God to play there?

Yeah they were nice, cool guys.  I miss them!  :-(

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2011, 09:04:30 pm »

If you guys truely were interested in running a server, i'd be willing to lend a hand coding.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2011, 09:12:27 pm »

You mean those guys that hated playing with anyone that wasn't in their close knit group of 5 or 6 friends?

Those guys that felt the server should be limited to 10 people because anything more than that just gets too crazy!?

Those guys that consistently said the community was 80% morons?

The guys that said we should have a whitelist server that you can only get into if you are "deemed worthy" by the roleplay God to play there?

Yeah they were nice, cool guys.  I miss them!  :-(
That's because that apparent 80% were those that were banned from goonstation and had no where  else to go, they just so happened to be idiots and griefers, after getting that sorted out the rest were actual worth keeping people. But honestly I wasn't even for a whitelist or small number server, I wanted small numbers simply due to the fact anymore really lagged to hell and back on the code we had at the time. Having enough competent admins to deal with the idiots that flocked to us because the goons banned them would have been enough.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2011, 09:30:58 pm »

I might have a friend with open server space. I emailed him today and am awaiting a reply. I don't know how big it is or how fast it is. But if he lets us use it, it's free.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2011, 09:52:26 pm »

I've tinkered with BS12 code before. I'm unfamiliar with a lot of it (particularly UI code) but I should be capable of reverse-engineering/modifying stuff. I really like the idea of a GM oriented server too.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2011, 10:08:54 pm »

Well, as a former lead coder of BS12 (from the good old days :) ), I'm more then willing to lend a hand to getting a "back to the roots" SS13/Bay12 server
I can offer a decent server if needed, and insight to other coders

It would also finally give me the motivation needed to finish coding TGstations new atmos system

And I sortof agree with saint... in retrospect, it was a terrible idea, but hindsight is 20/20, and lets face it, we went from being a tiny server to being more popular then goon in a period of a few days.
Sure as hell I wouldn't like to repeat that experience
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5