Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27

Author Topic: Roll to Work at GenCorp! Tuesday: The End: A New CEO.  (Read 63798 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Work at GenCorp! Monday: 12.02pm
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2011, 06:32:14 am »

Monday: 12.02pm

I'll play work.

It's around midday and you have a day off work for some inconsequential non-professional-life reason or other and you're still lying in bed when suddenly your phone rings. You're lying in bed still because you're not very important. You answer. It's the boss's assistant.

"Hey, Powder? We've had a bit of a problem at work and the boss needs you to come in. Yeah, I know it's pretty short notice... yeah, we can pay you one and a quarter time for the afternoon... well, maybe one and an eighth... we'll see... Well, anyway, he'll probably fire you if you don't come in, so. Ok, great, see you in a while! Thanks sunshine!"

She signs off with an inappropriate kiss down the phone. What the hell was that?

How do you get to work?

Task Assigned! Get to work!

Failure Rating: 10.
Morale: 0.

Thank her for the cover, accept her generous offer, and excuse myself to go set up the projector.  Do so.

“Hey, thanks Emma from Accounts, you saved me from another going over there, the boss has really got it in for me,” you begin what you hope is suavely [2]. “I’d love to go to the gig Thursday, I love Incidental Toilet!”

Accidental Toilet, idiot,” she replies. “But still, when you’re as cute as a cute button with a cute picture of a cute pony on it,” she continues [6], “I guess you can afford to be a bit of an idiot… I’ll send you an email!”

As she gets up and you turn red, she leans over, kisses you on the cheek, and walks off. You stare. You know you shouldn’t, but you do.

It takes several minutes before you realise you’re meant to be up in Presentation Room Green Four 24 setting up a projector for Professor Crack’s lunchtime seminar to the board, but you just can’t concentrate. Regardless, you manage to get to the room quickly enough, and for a confident IT professional like you, setting up the projector is child’s play [5-1+1]. Perhaps you should get to your desk for the first time today and get answering some of those stupid new Supportdesk calls. You can’t understand why they keep messing about with the division of responsibilities like this; when you started, if you had an IT problem, you called IT – you didn’t need a flowchart to see which IT to goddamn call. It’s hard to feel disgruntled for long though: the thought of all the poor souls calling up the wrong IT department is amusing and, more pertinently, you’re still watching Emma from Accounts walk away. She’s totally quite hot.

Morale Dro- oh wait!
Morale Boost! Oh my god what just happened?! Again!!? I’m an idiot? But as cute as a cute button with a cute picture of a cute pony on it?!?!
Success Task Completed!

Task Completed! Set up projector!

Failure Rating: 11.
Morale: 9

Hmm..

Call A geek, make him work!

"IT, if you wouldn't mind-I'm on an *extremely* important task from the...*er, mumble, mumble*...Himself, and if I don't get someway to give me access to the system, we might all get canned. Just, possibly. Get OVER HERE!

You call a geek IT Helpdesk, but they say you’ve got through to the wrong number [2]! They don’t deal with account access issues in Blue Square section any more. Unfortunately you’re going to have to contact IT Supportdesk, and you’ve got to send them a proforma email to report the problem, or log a help request on the intranet. He puts the phone down.

You ragesigh to yourself. If he hadn’t put the phone down on you, you realise, you’d have probably rageshouted at him instead. Well, at least it’s going better than your last attempt at using a computer. If there are any more delays you’re going to start looking pretty incompetent though…

Morale Drop! Frustrating IT!

Task Assigned! Minute a teleconference recording!
Task Assigned! Sign up for some fire training!

Failure Rating: 15.
Morale: 4

Satoshi hurried to put his equipment back, then head to the appropriate room, stopping only to check the building map in the main lobby to see where it was. Right now he was just grateful for an easy task that didn't require handling deceased avians...

You head back to the janitorial cupboard to put your equipment away and then go on to the main lobby to check the map [6]. You don’t think you’ve ever even seen Presentation Room Green Four 24, so you’re not too sure how to get there. Ah! You reckon you can take a short cut outside without having to go through the twisty intestines of this ridiculous building.

You pass outside where you see a number of armoured police vans parked and unloading their SWAT teams. You wonder what the hell that’s about, surely someone would have said if anything serious was happening? Must just be an exercise. You concentrate on trying to remember the map as you walk round the building and go in the side entrance, getting to Presentation Room Green Four 24 so quickly that you get started on setting the room up before you even expected to reach it (+1 to setting up the room next turn). Why is it so horribly warm in this room? You glance at your watch. You have just about fifteen minutes to get this set up.

Morale Boost! Walk in the sun!

Task Assigned! Set up Presentation Room Green Four 24!

Failure Rating: 5.
Morale: 10.

Warning! Your Morale is so high that you are beginning to look suspiciously happy! Remember folks, we are here to work, not to have fun!

Daniel Sighs.

Use this time for a break, with the phone close to you, so if the boss comes in you can act as if you have been trying to call IT.

You figure that if the computer’s going to act like that you may as damn well take a break. You were pretty close to dozing off there anyway, so you think to yourself, so, well, if I can’t get a coffee, at least I can stop for a second and give my wrists a rest from this goddamn data entry, I can’t find any light jazz on the radio and I mean, seriously, who’s really that interested in col… [1]

Suddenly you’re running through a forest, scared witless by the pursuing heathen who won’t do what he’s told. You dodge in and out of the grey trees as crudely made arrows fly past you; you stumble and trip over a root and fall to the floor at full speed. Cursing and whimpering, you get to your feet and run on, but looking behind you you can see that the heathen and his offensive loincloth are closing on you! Oh good lord, is his loincloth made of human skin? Is that a face protecting his dignity? Help! Help!!! He’s going to shoot you full of arrows and make you into a loincloth!

Morale Drop! Data entry dragging on and on!
Morale Drop! A murderous heathen wants to use your face as a loincloth!
Fail! Sleeping at your desk!

Task Assigned! Data entry!

Failure Rating: 13.
Morale: -8.

Toby throws a tube of gas at one pair of the guards, then he tries to barge through the second pair to continue his flatulence-induced rampage.

You launch one test tube at the pair of guards at one end of the corridor; it hits a guard full in the face [5]! The contents spill out and the guards fall to their knees, coughing and retching horribly. As the guards approaching from the other end pull out their batons to subdue you, you barge through at top speed, knocking them over like skittles and leaving a couple of gas filled test tubes behind as you run [5]. You don’t have time to look over your shoulder but you hear them start coughing as you push open the doors at the end of the corridor. It seems that turning left will lead you out of the building, and turning right leads you further into the maze like complex.

Morale Boost! Causing chaos!
Morale Boost! Sticking it to the man!
Morale Drop! Covered in sick!
Morale Drop! Extreme failing!
Fail! Further assaulting your colleagues!
Fail! Why in the lord’s name have you still got no trousers on?
Fail! Still requested in the boss’s office!

Task Assigned! Head to the boss’s office!

Failure Rating: 31.
Morale: -5.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Work at GenCorp! Monday: 11.24am
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2011, 08:11:53 am »

Oh, I meant to say...

I'm really sorry, guys.  I'm currently in the middle of my school's big 3-day career fair looking for my very first "real" job, which is really stressing me out and making my morale plummet.  Honestly, I think the subject matter here just hits too close to home for where I'm at right now, so I'm just going to retire this character.  Thanks for taking me on, and apologies for being such a sore loser about it.

Good luck!  Yeah, your first job will probably suck, but you'll get that awesome thing called "job experience" which makes getting the second one much easier.  Don't worry- it won't be this bad!

Anyway-  Lawas, all these IT descriptions are really making my day here.

Head back to my desk and do what they pay me to do.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2011, 09:35:56 am »

WAKE UP.

And then use the rush from the dream to quickly do the data compilation.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2011, 10:08:15 am »

Ah, but how could she send an Email or log into the intranet with NO COMPUTER ACCESS.

Kathryn bit back the rage building up.

Serenity...now...serenity now!

If she would have physically go to the Help desk and all but drag one of those little Nerds here, it would be done!

She marches out in a huff to do so.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2011, 01:35:31 pm »

Gah! I've gotta lower my morale somehow... Hey, Dwarmin. Next time Kathryn runs into Satoshi, can you have her raeg at him? That should work out for both of us. :3

I wonder what's with today. First a fire, then police show up? And dead pigeons everywhere... I'm starting to think something weird is going on around here. Then again, what was stranger than a perpetual motion coffee machine? Not much. Sato decided to just shelve those thoughts for the moment and get to work arranging the chairs in rows of semicircles around the lectern, then remembered the boss said to make sure the temperature was OK. Better do that first, THEN work on the chairs. I'd hate to get my uniform all sweaty. He looked around for the thermostat to make sure the room was about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Once he had that set - assuming there was no problem there - he would get to work on the arrangements.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2011, 05:43:26 pm »

Powder Woodcutter lived near where he worked- one of the reason;ps he'd found the interview. So he ran to work, actually relishing killing some plants

(Powder Woodcutter=/= nature freak)

Tosca_cake92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2011, 11:47:30 am »

Go the pathway to the right, futher in to the complex, in hope of getting away from the pursuing guards

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Work at GenCorp! Monday: 12.19pm
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2011, 03:57:08 pm »

Monday: 12.19pm

Powder Woodcutter lived near where he worked - one of the reasons he'd found the interview. So he ran to work, actually relishing killing some plants.

You quickly jump out of bed, get dressed and leave the house, eager to run to work and kill you some damn plants! Or do some godawful tedious filing, whichever. You sprint the first 100 metres as fast as a lightning bolt, but disaster strikes! You trip over as you run [1], and just as you realise you've just tripped over a plant you also realise that you're running so fast you are flying head first INTO A TREE! If it had only been a brick wall you had hit you wouldn't have minded, but no! A goddamned natural tree!

And then you hit the tree.

Morale Drop! Ouch!
Morale Drop! Outwitted by nature!
Fail! Late already!

Task Assigned! Get to work!

Morale: -2.

Head back to my desk and do what they pay me to do.

You head out of the presentation room and get back to your desk without any further adventure [5]. You take a couple of calls about resetting passwords, and then a call from someone who's accidentally turned their screen upside down. You could fix it in a second, but you're not authorised to take that particular type of IT call anymore: you tell them to log a request with IT Servicedesk and not to bother IT Supportdesk anymore with that kind of ridiculous query. They can always turn their head upside down if it's too difficult to read. Then you get a call from a serviceuser in Green Three 97:

"Hello? Supportdesk? Have I got the right damn IT Desk this time? Hello? All my damned colour's gone into the corner of my screen. What the hell? Come and fix this damn thing will you?"

Morale Drop! Oh God... Nothing but calls from idiots...
Morale Boost! Refused someone help!
Success Answered some Supportdesk calls!

Task Assigned! Fix his colour!

Failure Rating: 10.

Ah, but how could she send an Email or log into the intranet with NO COMPUTER ACCESS.

Kathryn bit back the rage building up.

Serenity...now...serenity now!

If she would have physically go to the Help desk and all but drag one of those little Nerds here, it would be done!

She marches out in a huff to do so.

You get up to march out in a huff [1], but as you do you bang your knee on the desk! You can no longer manage to bite back the rage! You start turning green!

In a single fluid movement before you can control yourself, you lift your monitor, raise it above your head whilst ripping the cable out of the wall socket, and then smash it onto the floor! As it bursts into flame you leave the room looking for the correct IT Helpdesk! God help them!

Morale Drop! Banged your knee!
Morale Boost! Uncontrollable rage!
Fail! Should have got started typing by now!
Fail! Set another computer on fire!

Failure Rating: 17.
Morale: 8

I wonder what's with today. First a fire, then police show up? And dead pigeons everywhere... I'm starting to think something weird is going on around here. Then again, what was stranger than a perpetual motion coffee machine? Not much. Sato decided to just shelve those thoughts for the moment and get to work arranging the chairs in rows of semicircles around the lectern, then remembered the boss said to make sure the temperature was OK. Better do that first, THEN work on the chairs. I'd hate to get my uniform all sweaty. He looked around for the thermostat to make sure the room was about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Once he had that set - assuming there was no problem there - he would get to work on the arrangements.

Just after the IT guy leaves with the projejctor all ready and set up, you look for the thermostat and find it  quick enough; you start to mess about to set it to 70 degrees Fahrenheit [2]. But the thermostat's in Celsius! If only Jimmy Carter had got his way! You set it to something you think must be about right - 50 degrees Celsius converts to about 70 degrees Fahrenheit, right? Yes! It does! You start setting the chairs up theatre style [1], but you're sweating so damn hard that you think you'd best open the windows while you work. A small flock of pigeons flies in through the window! Oh good Christ! Are they dead? You panic and run blindly about the room, hands over your face, running faster and faster in a circle until you run straight into the main pile of chairs you'd set up before opening the windows.

You'd SWEAR the pigeons are dead and they're pecking at your ears! You start rolling about the floor screaming, a small flock of entirely live pigeons pestering you as hard as a bunch of pigeons can.

Morale Drop! Attacked by pigeons! Are they zombie pigeons?!?? (No.)
Morale Drop! Very sweaty!
Fail! Only two minutes left to get the temperature set up!
Fail! Should really have set up those chairs by now!
Fail! Filled Presentation Room Green Four 24 with pigeons!

Task Assigned! Set up Presentation Room Green Four 24!

Failure Rating: 9.
Morale: 7.

WAKE UP.

And then use the rush from the dream to quickly do the data compilation.

All of a sudden you wake up with a jolt [4]. My god. Were you dreaming of being a heathen's loincloth? You still have a strange sensation of disgustingly intimate sweat on your cheeks, and a terrible feeling of fear in the pit of your stomach. You look over your shoulder; there is no one behind you, and certainly not anyone armed with a bow.

You try to channel the adrenalin into superfast superaccurate data entry [5], and before you know it the pile is completely done! You haven't done any work that quick since your first week!

Damn. Now you'll have to file it all.

Morale Boost! Finished the tedious data entry!
Morale Drop! A lingering impression of The Fear!
Success! Did some typing!

Task Completed! Entered the data!
Task Assigned! File all that data!

Failure Rating: 12.

Go the pathway to the right, futher in to the complex, in hope of getting away from the pursuing guards

You're about to take the corridor to the right, hoping to head further into Bruce Halford's complex and escape from the pursuing guards [2]. But as you turn, you see four security guards storming down the corridor at you!

You throw a test tube of awful gas at them, but they run so fast through it that it seems to have no effect [2]! You turn to flee the opposite direction [2], but one of them throws their baton at your ankles and knocks you down as you run. You skid along the floor for a few metres, and one of the security guards catches up. You're sure it's all over: you're gonna be fired.

The security guard smacks you with his special TruncheonCorp baton in the back of the head, but you instinctively managed to dodge [6]! You parry the blow with a test tube, held in your outstretched hand; the test tube shatters and the stench immediately causes the guard to vomit! He pukes all over your face! You are temporarily blind!

You kick off the guard: he falls back into the other three guards, knocking them over. You get to your feet and flee. Behind you are at least four angry guards; in front of you are the fire exit doors leading outside.

Morale Boost! Causing chaos!
Morale Boost! Sticking it to the man!
Morale Drop! Covered in another man's sick!
Morale Drop! Beaten by the man!
Morale Drop! Temporarily blind!
Fail! Further assaulting your colleagues!

Failure Rating: 35.

Warning! You have reached MEGAFAIL! At this level of incompetence, all GenCorp staff are encouraged to beat you mercilessly and will receive tax-free cash and Morale bonuses for doing so! You will be fired as soon as you are violently immobilised and escorted from the premises!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2011, 03:59:40 pm »

Daniel thinks if the boss is just outside his cubicle.. He can't take the risk of getting this done slow. Lest his boss sees him with unfinished work.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Work at GenCorp! Monday: 12.19pm. Pigeons! Rage! Loinclothes!
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2011, 04:39:47 pm »

Run down the hallways screaming "FIRE, FIRE-THE TERRORISTS HAVE STRUCK AGAIN!"

OOC: Another 1? This game is rigged!  :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tosca_cake92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2011, 05:46:35 pm »

With a roar, Toby heads out through the fire exit and flees outside, trying to run away from any oncoming GenCorp employees or SWAT teams.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2011, 06:19:43 pm »

Powder Woodcutter angrily trudged off to work, trying not to be more late.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2011, 07:23:28 pm »

"Go on, off with you!" Sato yelled, flailing his arms around to clear away the pigeons so he could try to get back to the thermostat. Damn, isn't it like three point something degrees Fahrenheit is one degree Celsius? He didn't know, but he was going to take a gamble on it being the case and tried setting the thermostat to 20. After that, he was going to grab a chair and go to town on these pigeons; if he somehow lucked out in getting them gone, he would resume putting the chairs up.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2011, 07:38:21 am »

Dorp, sorry.

Go fix the color!  Good mood means good hard work*!

*The best cure for a good mood.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Work at GenCorp! Monday: 12.44pm. Lunch. And pigeons. And SWAT teams.
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2011, 09:27:54 am »

Monday: 12.44pm

Daniel thinks if the boss is just outside his cubicle... He can't take the risk of getting this done slow. Lest his boss sees him with unfinished work.

Still suffering from some lingering Dream Fear, you think that perhaps the boss is watching you from afar. You get to work, and get started on the filing with something approaching a reasonable speed [3]. It will probably only take fifteen minutes to finish it off, but it’s pretty dull. You could go for lunch: authorised lunchtimes are 12.45pm and 1.15pm.

Morale Boost! Nearly lunch!
Morale Drop! Tedious filing!

Task Assigned! File all that data!

Failure Rating: 12.

Run down the hallways screaming "FIRE, FIRE-THE TERRORISTS HAVE STRUCK AGAIN!"

You run down the hallways screaming "FIRE, FIRE - THE TERRORISTS HAVE STRUCK AGAIN!” [6] and all at once, every doorway on the corridor you’re currently screaming along opens, and every member of staff tries to flee simultaneously. You’re sure you hear the distance sound of windows being broken, and the muffled cries of people landing on the ground in a crumpled heap.

Suddenly, there are over three hundred typists, sub-typists and various other assistants stampeding down the corridor; a piercing alarm starts to sound; sprinklers twinkle into action.

As smoke seems to rise all about you flee onwards, driven by the maddened crowd, trampling over the bodies of the fallen, crushing the chests of the too weak or too slow, their bleeding bodies left to desiccate in the swirling dust. A GenCorp security guard tries to stop the herd and to reinstate some order; he is flattened by the onrushing horde of under-secretaries and never seen again, his bones bleached by the desert sun and ground into powder by the march of time. Directed as if by some innate crowd sense, the hundreds of men and women stream down corridor after corridor; some bust down doors to offices on the side and commence to looting.  Gunshots echo; you struggle to keep your head above the mass of people, you nearly fall to the floor struck in the face by a flatscreen TV someone carries past you as if on a tide of virulent sewage.

Up ahead someone screams, “There’s one! The terrorists! The terrorists are here! They’ve killed the security guards! Call security! Aaaaaaaahhhg the gas! They’re using nerve gas!”

A mass of hysterical screaming ensues; you feel the burst of bitter and evil sentiment rise as nearly half a thousand people embrace their bloodrage at once: the column of patriotic countrymen and women changes direction to pursue the spotted terrorist.

“He’s a terrorist! Burn him! Burn him! He’s a terrorist!”

You smell the acrid aftersmell of sick; you taste blood and cordite in the air; beneath your feet the floor is slick with a greasy mélange of bodily functions.

Morale Boost! Mass hysteria!
Morale Boost! Mass patriotism!
Fail! Should have got started typing by now!
Fail! Set another computer on fire!
Fail! Could have avoided this if you’d done that fire training I told you about!

Failure Rating: 20.
Morale: 12.

Warning! Your Morale is so high that you are beginning to look suspiciously happy! Remember folks, we are here to work, not to have fun!

Powder Woodcutter angrily trudged off to work, trying not to be more late.

Furrowed brow and clenched fist, you pick yourself up and get back on your way [3]. You get to work, kicking a plant over as you go, but as you walk up the main driveway after swiping through the first gate to the complex an armed police officer stops you. Apparently there’s some kind of terrorist-led riot going on: either you’ll have to stop around here and wait, or head to Sub-reception Grey Six 34b.

He picks up his clipboard and asks your name, and then when you reply and he reads down the left hand column he notes you have an asterisk next to your name.

“Oh, Mr Woodcutter. This isn’t exactly standard procedure, but I’ve been told you have to go and get working, there’s some weeds in Greenery Area Black Seven A1 that urgently need cutting down, terrorists or no terrorists. The boss says quote unquote to step to it boy those weeds aren’t gonna kill themselves they’re a goddamn disgrace. I’d better let you through.”

Success! Got to work!
Fail! Late!

Task Completed! Got to work!
Task Assigned! Kill those damn weeds!

Morale: -2.

"Go on, off with you!" Sato yelled, flailing his arms around to clear away the pigeons so he could try to get back to the thermostat. Damn, isn't it like three point something degrees Fahrenheit is one degree Celsius? He didn't know, but he was going to take a gamble on it being the case and tried setting the thermostat to 20. After that, he was going to grab a chair and go to town on these pigeons; if he somehow lucked out in getting them gone, he would resume putting the chairs up.

Yes! Three point something equals one! That’s it! You jump to your feet in a flash and fight your way to the thermostat and set it to 20 with the speed of an eel. You grab a chair and go to town on the pigeons [6].

The next few minutes are a blur of blood, sweat and feathers as you slay pigeons in a 360 degree circle of furious frenzy! Your inherited Pigeon Fear kicks in, you smash every one out of the air as they orbit your bulging eyes and panic-ridden face: you smash them out of the air and into the walls! You even smash a pigeon through one of the windows you hadn’t opened earlier. It shatters. You swing your chair at the last pigeon left alive and stumble into the stack of chairs you’d prepared for setting out, but you miss the pigeon as it taunts you a final time.

It flies past and you leap up to pluck it from the air and wrestle it to the ground! As you force it into a headlock the boss walks in with Professor Crack and Doctor Erdleton.

ACCIDENTAL BOSSCHECK!

“Sa-…”

The boss appears to have fainted.

Professor Crack and the Doctor manage to catch him as he falls and waft some smelling salts in front of his face.

He comes to, and sees Presentation Room Green Four 24 covered in pigeon blood, corpses and feathers, a knocked over column of chairs strewn across the floor. You haven’t quite finished setting it up, and appear to be kneeing a pigeon in the face.

“SATOSH-…”

He doesn’t seem to be fainting, but he does seem to be turning very red and having great difficulty breathing.

“Someone call an ambulance!” Doctor Erdleton screams.

You notice the pleasant ambient temperature in the room.

ACCIDENTAL BOSSCHECK FAILED

Morale Boost! Pigeonocide!
Morale Drop! Very sweaty!
Fail! Didn’t get the room set up in time!
Fail! Heart-attacked the boss!
Fail! Filled Presentation Room Green Four 24 with pigeon parts!

Task Failed! Didn’t get Presentation Room Green Four 24 set up in time!!

Failure Rating: 16.
Morale: 10.

Go fix the color!  Good mood means good hard work*!

You catch the lift up to Green Three 97 and knock politely on the door. A distinguished old gentleman, quite Southern looking, opens the door.

“Hello young man. Now, I appear to have some trouble with the colour on this here television screen. All the colour has fallen into the bottom right corner.”

As a seasoned IT professional [4], you quickly notice that this is a very aged monitor, a 1991 IBM model, no less. You sit down at the old gentleman’s desk, and observe that, indeed, all the colour has fallen into the bottom right hand corner. You also observe that there is an enormous paperclip magnet to the right of the computer. Sighing to yourself, you click through some menus so fast that the eyes can’t follow, pretended to type in a few commands, and then you casually move the magnet. The monitor works correctly!

“Well my boy, you’re a miracle worker and that’s no mistake and I thank you greatly. Would you like a cigar?”

He offers you a finely crafted case of cigars, motioning for you to take one.

Success Fixed his colour!

Task Completed! Fixed his colour!

Failure Rating: 9.

With a roar, Toby heads out through the fire exit and flees outside, trying to run away from any oncoming GenCorp employees or SWAT teams.

Escaping from the security guard’s grip [4], you look back behind you only to see an angry horde of hundreds of GenCorp employees heading your way, some of them waving flatscreen TVs, others brandishing pitchforks, many of them screaming and being sick.

You panic, before managing to override your fear and hurl out a manly roar and then run full pelt at the fire exit, breaking open the doors and out into the midday sunshine. You stop and turn, throwing your arms into the air and roaring again like some kind of research sub-assistant grizzly bear.

“He’s a terrorist! Burn him! Burn him! He’s a terrorist!”

The angry mob shouts after you; you run down the outside of the building in a head down sprint. You look over your shoulder; you turn a corner; down a slight slope you see a line of armoured police vans and behind it a line of armed SWAT team members taking cover. A man with a megaphone addresses you.

“FOREIGN TERRORIST. GIVE UP. YOU ARE SURROUNDED. PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND LAY FACE DOWN ON THE GROUND. I REPEAT. FOREIGN TERRORIST. GIVE UP. WE WILL NOT HESITATE TO SHOOT IF YOU DO NOT SURRENDER. YOU ARE SURROUNDED. I WILL COUNT TO FIVE BEFORE OPENING FIRE.”

You look behind you: the baying mob has stopped about 20 metres behind you. Many are taking photos on newly acquired iPhones. You stare ahead: the line of police are training their automatic weapons on you.

“FIVE…

FOUR…

THREE…”

Morale Boost! Causing extreme chaos!
Morale Drop! Covered in another man's sick!
Morale Drop! Pursued by an angry mob!
Morale Drop! Threatened by the man!
Fail! Depressed!

Failure Rating: 39.
Morale: -11.

Warning! You have reached MEGAFAIL! At this level of incompetence, all GenCorp staff are encouraged to beat you mercilessly and will receive tax-free cash and Morale bonuses for doing so! You will be fired as soon as you are violently immobilised and escorted from the premises!

Warning! Your morale level indicates that you are close to depression. This will affect your ability to work.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27