Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trap Questions  (Read 1147 times)

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
Trap Questions
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:35:41 am »

would lead be a good trap component for any blunt type damage weapon traps? i'd think it would due to its weight but i might be wrong.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Trap Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:39:06 am »

Lead would be a great material for blunt weapons, if you could make weapons from lead, which you can't.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:10 am »

would lead be a good trap component for any blunt type damage weapon traps? i'd think it would due to its weight but i might be wrong.
It's so soft, you can hit someone with a hammer-shaped lead thing and end up slapping him with a sheet of lead. Anyway, I can't recall being able to make lead weapons.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:54:37 am »

no not actual weapon i mean like trap component type things like a spike ball or something else like such,
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 09:59:14 am »

I know that screws at least need weapon-rated materials to be made, and I'm pretty sure that the same material restrictions apply to all trap components.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:50:55 am »

ah i'll have to check then.

if they were make able wouldn't they be on the forge/magma forge?
if so then no you cant make em.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 02:39:06 pm »

You can mod them to be possible, by adding the [WEAPON] tag to lead, or whatever the specific tag is, and they'll do good for blunt weapons.  In fact pretty much any edged attack will turn into a blunt attack because of lead's poor properties.  But, ultimately, silver beats out lead for density, and you can already use silver.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 06:40:54 pm »

so what silver trap parts should i make? warhammers as actual blunt weapon obviously but as actual trap parts

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:14:20 pm »

Well, all of the trap components have edged strikes, but certain ones will favor better than other.  Any edged attack the fails to slice will turn into a blunt attack.  Axes, corkscrews, and menacing spikes are all Size 1,600 while spiked balls and disks are size 1,000.  Axes have an extremely large contact area of 100,000, making them well suited to lopping off limbs, and so do disks.  Corkscrews have a contact of 100.  Balls and spikes have 10, making them very easy to shove through someone or hit organs.  They all penetrate fairly well, except spiked balls that have a fairly shallow hit.  Balls and disks both hit 3 times, all others hit just once.

I'd have to vote for large spiked balls, personally.  Their low contact area ensures damage, and their low penetration is a slight hindrance but not enormous, while their 3x hit rate will add up quickly.  Corkscrews would do good too, small contact area and larger size, but they only hit once per trigger.  Of course, against HFS you can only use spikes, as they fit into upright spikes, so the argument is moot.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 08:22:29 pm »

If you're using silver you may not have to worry at all about penetration depth. Spiked balls all the way.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 04:17:11 am »

thanx guys so should i do 10 per space then? i do have alot of silver.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 04:19:06 am »

If mechanisms or components are an issue, then stuff them in.  If you have a lot of great mechanisms and a lot of spikes, go ahead and spread them out.  Remember that mechanism quality DOES matter for weapon traps, but DOES NOT matter for upright spikes.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 03:54:17 am »

i don't have a legendary mechanics yet
how should i train a mechanic really quickly? spam mechanisms and gears?