Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginners' XXVII - Imperishable Night - Game Over!  (Read 182560 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' XXVII - Day 1 - Storm on Mt. Ooe
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2011, 05:23:18 pm »

Orangebottle, can you repost that reply? It's not in the Topic Summary anymore.
Powder Miner and Mindmaker, do you feel that asking everyone to ask you questions because you are "bored" is a scumtell?  Don't you think it would have been more townie-like to have been going after someone instead?
Shakerag, you'll notice that I went for someone in the post or in a post very near it (I can't remember which, unfortunately. I'm pretty dependent on the Topic Summary)

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2011, 05:34:15 pm »

In other mafias, it's usually seen as scummy to stack votes D1, so I was directing that question to see if I could catch anyone of the four voting for Jafferey.  After all, you are supposed to jump on scummy things, correct?
Catch them on what? They were all asking him RVS questions with a pressure vote. And yes. You are.

I don't really care for Jafferey's life, I was trying to scumhunt.
Scumhunt...how, exactly? By asking a strange question with no actual response?

I also don't see what your problem with the extension is. It's normal procedure, and it's always good for town to have time to make decisions.
The town had three more days to go over it. An extension was entirely unnecessary at that point, and it looks odd that you'd extend for Jaffery when we still have plenty of time left to switch our votes around.

They're also RVS questions and requests to answer RVS questions, with pressure votes attached. All he has to do is answer their questions and poof, the vote is gone. RVS pressure votes aren't usually all that serious.
Perhaps you'd like town to speed through lynches so they don't make good choices?
Also, it's kinda funny how you're so sure that lynching Jafferey would be a mislynch. "Day one usually ends in a mislynch" Care to explain at all?
You still haven't learned to stop throwing bullshit around, have you? In almost every day one, town will end up mislynching town. It's not that big of a leap.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2011, 05:49:50 pm »

unvote
Mindmaker, looking back, you haven't really been digging all that deeply.  You seem to be pretty content to ask one question, and sit back for a long stretch without branching out anywhere else.

It's been more than one question. True it hasn't been much, but don't spread false information.

After mipe9's act, you hopped on the bandwagon there and seem awfully keen to get others to hop on as well.

How is that a bandwagon?
And how do I want to get others to hop on? I only asked you a question to find out what you think of this whole mess to hear something from the new player.

And your response to Mormota really smacks of OMGUSism.

Yeah... no.
I didn't vote him, if you have noticed.  Isn't that what a OMGUS is by definition?
If Jim had said that I would have bowed my head and accepted it. But if I get called useless by somebody who is useless himself I get a little grumpy.

It also certainly seemed odd as well, earlier, answering your buddy Orangebottle (who defended you) and not Jim.

Where did he defend me?
Also, there's nothing odd about it. I explained it. Deal with it.

So, what do you have to say for yourself and your obviously scummy behavior?

Nothing, because there is no scummy behaviour to be seen.
Clarify your questions and I may "justify my scummy behaviour", Mr Fancypants.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 20, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »

IronyOwl, why are you tunneling on me?

Please tell me how IronyOwl is tunneling.

Because he's not.

I hope this isn't all of your suspicions, because this is a paper-thin excuse for a vote.

unvote
Mindmaker, looking back, you haven't really been digging all that deeply.  You seem to be pretty content to ask one question, and sit back for a long stretch without branching out anywhere else.  After mipe9's act, you hopped on the bandwagon there and seem awfully keen to get others to hop on as well.  And your response to Mormota really smacks of OMGUSism.  It also certainly seemed odd as well, earlier, answering your buddy Orangebottle (who defended you) and not Jim.

Calling scumteams tends to work out very badly for the town. You'll almost always be wrong until somebody actually flips scum.

Until that happens, don't look at what two players are doing in relation to each other for scumtells. Just look at each player individually, and judge each player individually.

Bold words. I hope you have the evidence to back yourself up. I don't see much in your post.

The best evidence is usually the most illustrative of your points. You only really need one or two links or quotes for each point, and you don't have to provide them every time you make an argument, but you should be ready to bust it out if people ask for it.

Like I am now. Evidence. Where is it?

Shakerag, I'll ask you the same question, as I asked the person you replaced. What do you think of mipe9 and his appraoch. I understand you just joined the game, so take your time to read up on it.

I am inclined to think that mipe9 is likely a townie.  He had a very crazy and aggressive tactic early on to reaction fish, and I would think that, if he was scum, that would be a very risky thing to do, seeing as he has brought a lot of attention on himself for it.  I think that since he thrust himself into the spotlight early like that, the scum in this game would try and get an easy bandwagon going on him.  Therefore, looking at who was jumping on mipe9, why, and when could yeld clues about who is scummy this game.

Interestingly, you seem to be very focused on mipe9 yourself ...

Making assumptions about what the scum would and wouldn't do in a variety of situations tends to give yourself very bad reads on players.

In this case, making a bad opening move is not a town tell because it would be bad for scum to do. In the same way, it does not automatically make him scum, because it would be bad for town to do as well. Don't get into the mindset that scum are cunning and calculating and deliberate over every move because I've played enough games as town and scum to know that that really isn't true.

Looking at the reasons people are voting him is a good thing to do. But really, looking at the reasons anybody is voting anybody is a good thing to do.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2011, 06:46:07 pm »

In other mafias, it's usually seen as scummy to stack votes D1, so I was directing that question to see if I could catch anyone of the four voting for Jafferey.  After all, you are supposed to jump on scummy things, correct?
Catch them on what? They were all asking him RVS questions with a pressure vote. And yes. You are.

I don't really care for Jafferey's life, I was trying to scumhunt.
Scumhunt...how, exactly? By asking a strange question with no actual response?
To see how people react to being called out on it.

I also don't see what your problem with the extension is. It's normal procedure, and it's always good for town to have time to make decisions.
The town had three more days to go over it. An extension was entirely unnecessary at that point, and it looks odd that you'd extend for Jaffery when we still have plenty of time left to switch our votes around.

They're also RVS questions and requests to answer RVS questions, with pressure votes attached. All he has to do is answer their questions and poof, the vote is gone. RVS pressure votes aren't usually all that serious.
Perhaps you'd like town to speed through lynches so they don't make good choices?
Also, it's kinda funny how you're so sure that lynching Jafferey would be a mislynch. "Day one usually ends in a mislynch" Care to explain at all?
You still haven't learned to stop throwing bullshit around, have you? In almost every day one, town will end up mislynching town. It's not that big of a leap.
[/quote]
Guh. I suppose. Still, I think it was less than three days...

Unvote whoever the heck I was voting, vote for ed boy. I haven't really questioned you at all yet.
What do you think of the lurkiness in this game so far (not the players lurking, the lurkiness). I think it's quite abundant.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2011, 06:47:26 pm »

I botched that post, should have pressed preview...
Ugh.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2011, 06:59:36 pm »

I haven't really questioned you at all yet.

Thoroughness is great, but who do you suspect, and why aren't you voting them instead of jumping around from pressure vote to pressure vote?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2011, 07:25:09 pm »

Unvote whoever the heck I was voting, vote for ed boy. I haven't really questioned you at all yet.
What do you think of the lurkiness in this game so far (not the players lurking, the lurkiness). I think it's quite abundant.
I'm not happy about the lurking at all. Jafferey was very inactive (though now that he's been replaced hopefully the situation will improve). Mipe9 has also been active lurking a lot, as I listed in my earlier post. I'm a little on the fence about IronyOwl - he's not been in the game long, but I think he could have done better than only two posts.

Incidentally, what is tunneling? It wasn't included on the list of terms in the original post.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2011, 07:35:24 pm »

I haven't really questioned you at all yet.

Thoroughness is great, but who do you suspect, and why aren't you voting them instead of jumping around from pressure vote to pressure vote?
I guess you're right, but I was suspicious of mipe9 but his lurkiness was due to RL... hm. GOne reading thread to dig stuff up on him. *shoulders pickaxe*

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2011, 07:39:34 pm »

AH, yes.
Mindmaker, where's your vote? Why aren;t you voting? Why aren't you pressing?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2011, 07:47:12 pm »

What the hell have you been doing all this time then? You've been asking tons of questions and you still don't have any reads on anybody?

You're just doing things to look productive, instead of actually being productive with your scumhunting. You need to work on changing that.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2011, 07:49:27 pm »

AH, yes.
You may want to check the middle section of page thirteen.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:04 pm »

AH, yes.
You may want to check the middle section of page thirteen.
...Oh. Right under the vote count....

mipe9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' XXVII - Day 1 - Storm on Mt. Ooe (town IC needed)
« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2011, 11:58:19 pm »

It's called scumhunting. He asked you a total of two questions. Why do you feel so offended, perhaps cornered by two questions, Mipe9?

I don't care about the fact that he asked me two questions. I care about the fact that 100% of his posts are towards me.

Mipe9.
I'm not quite sure what you did at the beginning of the game. It probably was supposed to be a trap.
Still, you pulled out of it quickly, as people started to question you, with no explanation whatsoever.
To your convenience this was the time where I started taking the heat, so you could lurk for a bit and let the situation cool of.
Explain yourself now or never.
Which thing do you mean? I've done so many great/stupid things in this game that I might not remember the one you are talking about.

Don't get into the mindset that scum are cunning and calculating and deliberate over every move because I've played enough games as town and scum to know that that really isn't true.
Yeah, I have to agree with that. A 'perfect' scum wouldn't organize lynches and stuff like that, a perfect scum would act exactly like he would as town. The scum players goal is to act as town as they can so that nobody will be suspicious of them.

Incidentally, what is tunneling? It wasn't included on the list of terms in the original post.
"tunnel vision is the product of a variety of cognitive distortions, such as confirmation bias, hindsight bias, and outcome bias, which can impede accuracy in what we perceive and in how we interpret what we perceive".

In plain mafia & english terms, if you find a person who you think is scum and attack only that player and ignore everybody else, that's tunneling.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2011, 12:27:27 am »

It's called scumhunting. He asked you a total of two questions. Why do you feel so offended, perhaps cornered by two questions, Mipe9?

I don't care about the fact that he asked me two questions. I care about the fact that 100% of his posts are towards me.

Mipe9.
I'm not quite sure what you did at the beginning of the game. It probably was supposed to be a trap.
Still, you pulled out of it quickly, as people started to question you, with no explanation whatsoever.
To your convenience this was the time where I started taking the heat, so you could lurk for a bit and let the situation cool of.
Explain yourself now or never.
Which thing do you mean? I've done so many great/stupid things in this game that I might not remember the one you are talking about.

Don't get into the mindset that scum are cunning and calculating and deliberate over every move because I've played enough games as town and scum to know that that really isn't true.
Yeah, I have to agree with that. A 'perfect' scum wouldn't organize lynches and stuff like that, a perfect scum would act exactly like he would as town. The scum players goal is to act as town as they can so that nobody will be suspicious of them.

"tunnel vision is the product of a variety of cognitive distortions, such as confirmation bias, hindsight bias, and outcome bias, which can impede accuracy in what we perceive and in how we interpret what we perceive".

In plain mafia & english terms, if you find a person who you think is scum and attack only that player and ignore everybody else, that's tunneling.

I am talking about your reply to me, just to make it clear.

Would you then say that someone's first post and RVS vote is tunneling?

You have not brought up anything new or original over the course of the entire game day. Why are you not doing anything, Mindmaker?
You think so?
How about you present me some of your achievements from Day 1?

PFP. So I attack you, and your defense is denying that I did? How about you prove how unproductive I am?
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 38