Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 665

Author Topic: My Little Fortress. Glitterglen.  (Read 280978 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress. Glitterglen.
« Reply #4890 on: December 10, 2011, 01:08:46 am »

I watched in horror as the mare slowly started to warp. The Inquisitor only redoubled her chanting.

In came Otik. "What's the noise?" she said, before gaping at Friesden. Friesden's foreleg, now totally warped, stretched into a tentacle, which snaked its way over to Otik, who stood stock still, transfixed. It wrapped itself around her, and she collapsed, writhing in euphoria.

"Keep your hooves off her, BITCH!" yelled Starkey as he drew his axe. In one swift stroke, he cut off the tentacle. Friesden screamed in pain, and blood spurted forth from the wound. She reared back, and it was this point that Khenal entered.

"Friesden! No!" he cried.

For a moment, the mare's eyes changed back to what they were before, and the Inquisitor took this opportunity. She touched her sword to Friesden's flesh. The sword (which I found out later had been blessed by the Hierarch of Paintedtouched) set her flesh afire. The mare writhed in pain, her body unwarping. Her legs reformed.

"By the God Princess Herself, be ye cast OUT, daemon!" shouted the Inquisitor. The flames disappeared, and Friesden lay asleep.

"That's all we can do." said the Inquisitor. "We'll find out what happens when she wakes."

It was then that I heard a scream, as if from far off. I sighed. A commissar's work is never done.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:18:05 am by Dsarker »
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: December 10, 2011, 01:26:30 am »

The Diomedion grabs Kris by chest with it's tentacle, dragging her back towards it with unbreakable strength.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: December 10, 2011, 01:28:20 am »

She shrieks and paws at the dirt, unable to get a foothold on anything with her hooves. "Heeeelp!!!"
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: December 10, 2011, 01:29:48 am »

I hurried up the stairs. Schmutz was at the top of the stair, waiting by the door. He had my crossbow in hoof, as well as his own. Without a word, he gave me my crossbow and bolts and followed me out.

We headed out into the forest, looking for the source of the cry.

I didn't see the diomedian as it snuck up on me. But Schmutz did, and with a loud cry, he shot it twice in quick succession. The once static face of his was smiling.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: December 10, 2011, 01:34:54 am »

The diomedian shrieks, throwing Kris three yards into a tree, causing her to break a few bones upon impact. Then, the monster collapses dead.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: December 10, 2011, 01:42:08 am »

I moved forward to the filly. After a quick check, I motioned Schmutz forward. She was hurt, but she'd survive7.

7 Anypony wishing to learn more of the filly's future are recommended to read 'Glitterglen: An Annotated History', by General Kris.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: December 10, 2011, 01:45:11 am »

Schmutz found Kris lying next to the tree, dazed and confused.  As she begins to come around, she starts groaning and rubbing at her side.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: December 10, 2011, 01:45:22 am »

Unfortunately, Abel is hit in the back with an arrow, embedding itself deep inside him.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: December 10, 2011, 01:50:05 am »

It was on that day that I learned the benefits of full barding. The arrow embedded itself in my armour, and I was free to turn around and return the damage with interest. A pair of bolts from my crossbow found their mark in my foe, killing it instantly.

((AFK for the night. Telgin can take over.))

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: December 10, 2011, 02:04:36 am »

((And so I shall.  Breaking this up into two posts for readability.))

With the attacking diomedian slain, I took it upon myself to take stock of our surroundings.  There were two dead diomedian ponies, the first expertly dispatched by my aide and the second more by luck on my part than judgement.  And it seemed we'd come across the filly whose screams could be heard even back at Glitterglen8.

"She's a bit banged up, sir," Schmutz said, observent as ever.  "But I think she'll pull through.  A few busted ribs is all."

I'm no medicae, but I could see that he was right.  She was rubbing at her side and her breathing was a bit off, but she seemed unharmed otherwise.  I adjusted my cap and returned my crossbow to its sling.  "Very well, then.  Let's go see about getting this little filly a little medical attention."  Unfortunately, she was still out of it, else she could have saved us all a lot of trouble in the coming hours, but I had no way of knowing at the time and so led us back to Glitterglen, feeling quite pleased with the outcome.

As I suspected, the site of Schmutz and I hauling the poor thing back into the fortress with an arrow jutting from my armor was quite inspiring among the locals and they flocked to me.  I hushed them with a wave of my hoof and played myself off as the selfless savior they thought I was.  "Would everypony kindly step back?  This young filly needs to get to the hospital."

It worked like a charm, and they all made a berth for my passage, oohing and aahing as they always do.

8. How Abel was able to hear her screams from the barracks is a bit of a mystery.  I certainly heard no such thing.  We can only assume he is exaggerating a bit for dramatic effect, but the truth will likely never be known.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 02:17:05 am by Telgin »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: December 10, 2011, 02:33:19 am »

Falcata rolled over in the bed, confused from being woken from her shallow sleep by noise in the hallway.  She rubbed her eyes and tried to clear the fog in her mind, partly from the pain killing magic running through her body and partly from the utter exhaustion of the past day.

Moments later, Commissar Abel and the curiously dirty pony from before burst into the hospital, demanding a doctor urgently.  Something about the pony he carried looked familiar...

"Kris!" she screamed, her voice croaking at the attempt at such volume.  She scrabbled up onto her good hooves and tried to rise from the bed, nearly collapsing onto the floor as she did so.  A nurse had set her leg by now, but even with the powerful pain fighting magic in her body it was barely tolerable.  She limped over to the commissar, taking in the scene with horror.

The filly was moaning and clutching at her side, specks of blood in the corners of her mouth.  She looked up to her mother, but immediately turned away, dried tears on her cheeks joined by new moisture forming in her eyes.
  "I-I'm so sorry... I di-didn't mean to... I..."

The commissar gently placed her onto an available bed.  "Schmutz, go see if you can find a doctor, would you?"  He looks to Falcata.  "She's bruised a few ribs I think, she'll be fine."

As the pony complied, Falcata began to panic.  "Kris, wh-what happened!?  Oh, Luna..."

"W-we were playing in-in the forest..."

"We?" Abel questioned.  "I saw nopony else."

Kris moaned again and nodded.  "Li-Lilac was w-with me.  S-she di-didn't c-come with you?"

"Clop," the commissar said levelly.  "I'll be right back."  He gallopped from the hospital, reaching for his weapon as he did so.

Falcata stood motionless over her suffering daughter, mouth agape. 
"Oh, Kris..." she began before breaking down into sobbing.  The one time she wasn't around to protect her, this happens.  She agonized over what to do, finally sitting next to the bed.  "It's going to be okay, honey... I promise," she said, gently stroking Kris' mane.

"I-I'm sorry... mom," the filly said. "I-I shouldn't have..."

"Shh... it's okay," she answered, continuing to stroke her mane.  "You're safe now."

((And that's it for today.  I'll probably post a journal update for Falcata tomorrow.  I think enough has deviated from my glossing over from before to update it))
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 03:03:18 am by Telgin »

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: December 10, 2011, 02:55:21 am »

((good night everypony!))
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: December 10, 2011, 06:25:46 am »

Well, after seeing those Diomedians in the forest, I certainly wasn't going out there alone. I marshalled a small squad and headed out. It was quiet, and only the short sobs that I began to hear gave us any indication of the truth of the filly's tale. Slowly we made our way through, checking for another ambush on the way.

We came to a small clearing. In the middle was a diomedian royal. I swore under my breath. He was holding a small filly, and a knife was at her throat. Held telekinetically was a sword, and I sighed. If we wanted to save the filly we'd have to duel this beast, and my bloody reputation put me in first order.

I drew my sword, slinging my crossbow as I did so. I stepped boldly forth into the arena, hoping I hid the fear in my body as I did so, and proclaimed "I am Commissar Anias Abel. If you want to harm that filly, you'll have to come through me."

With a sneer, the royal tossed the filly aside and faced me. "I am Dresguthor, pillager of Mittenknees, slaughterer of the Ten Hounds of the Princess, and ruler of one hundred cities. Face me, if you dare."

Well, I'm sure those names were supposed to mean something, but I never did find out. He charged me, and I sidestepped and slashed for the side, just blocked by his returning sword. I blocked the counter strike, and continued with the flurry of blows, each swiftly blocked by my adversary. He was a skilled swordspony.

But like all the Diomedians, he was undisciplined, and eventually left the cool, collected state that a swordspony needs for victory, and started maniacally attacking wildly. I countered, and my strikes started landing home, cutting or grazing him. Every strike seemed to leave him more crazed, and eventually he was no more likely to hit me than an elephant a fly.

I poised, waiting for when he would leave himself open, and he did. A brutal strike left his sword stuck in the ground, and as he lowered his head to raise it, I swung the fatal strike, cutting his head clean off. It fell and rolled on the ground. I dropped my sword and ran to the filly.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: December 10, 2011, 02:24:05 pm »

Schmutz eventually returned with a doctor as ordered, who proceeded to scold Falcata for leaving her bed before diagnosing Kris.  Falcata refused to rest until she knew Kris would be okay, but it didn't take long for that conclusion to be drawn.  She cracked two ribs, and had managed a few cuts and scrapes, but she would recover in short order, the doctor had told her.  Much to Falcata's relief, the blood on Kris' mouth was from a cut lip, not a punctured lung.

With another dose of pain killing magic working through both of them, Kris had finally managed to slip off to sleep.  Falcata managed to convince the doctors to relocate her next to her daughter, and she collapsed into bed.  She was too worked up to sleep though, and at long last, she magically fetched a quill and piece of paper to record her thoughts.

Falcata's Diary Addenda - 23rd Felsite

I can't believe I forgot to mention that none other than Commissar Abel was here in the hospital as Toltot brought my sorry hide here.  It seems his selfless reputation is well deserved, as he was checking up on the wounded like they were family.  He personally wished me well, and if I hadn't been in such pain at the time I'd have probably giggled like a foal.

In other news, it seems that Khenal has finally awoken from his coma.  He left the hospital while I was still sleeping, so I didn't speak with him, but I'm glad he's alright.

24th Felsite

Kris and I were woken by a young filly galloping into the hospital late tonight, who I was later to learn was Captain Carrot's daughter, Lilac.  I can definitely see the resemblance both physically and in behavior now.

I didn't pay her much mind, even when she started talking to Kris, until she mentioned she knew what was really wrong with me.  I hadn't spoken with any doctors today, so I had no clue what she was going on about, but she told Kris that my stomach was rotting.  I thought she was just making things up or exaggerating like foals often do, but Kris was practically hysterical.  It was all I could do to calm her down.  Lilac dropped the point eventually after planning events after my death, and offered for Kris to join her elsewhere.  After a little encouragement on my part, she did so, leaving me for the first time in over a day.

Hopefully she forgets about that nonsense.  As soon as the doctors get a splint on my leg, I'll be out of here.  I should bring up the nausea and vomiting with Dr. Bubbles though.  Perhaps he has something he can treat it with.

25th Felsite

Today was... awful, to put it very mildly.

I thought Lilac was making things up, but when I finally spoke with Dr. Bubbles this morning, he admitted it was true.  He can't explain it, but my stomach is somehow decaying.  I knew I was sick... but I never expected that.  He gave me some medication that has settled my stomach a bit, and I was finally able to eat a little something this afternoon, but he made it pretty clear that there was nothing more he could do.  My body will have to fight it off if I'm going to live, and I could tell from his expression and comments that the odds weren't good.  When I pressed him for more, he told me I probably had a few months to maybe a year to live.  The decay was very slow, he said.  Little comfort.

I decided not to tell Kris, hoping she wouldn't remember it at all.  I felt numb.  I still don't think it's settled in my mind that I'm dying.

I forgot all about that a few hours later when the commissar returned however.  Much to my horror, he was carrying Kris, who was injured.  The doctors came and found she had a few cracked ribs, but it was nothing she wouldn't recover fully from.  That was a tremendous relief, but I still feel jittery about it.  I barely managed to get anything but apologies from her, but she said she and Lilac were playing in the forest when a tentacle pony attacked them.

I was devastated that she would do something like that.  If the commissar hadn't been there at just the right moment, she would be dead or worse right now, and that's something I can't even begin to think about.  I owe him more than I can give for bringing her back to me.  I must thank him next time I see him... I was too shaken up to do so while he was here.  He ran off to go find Lilac once he discovered she was still loose in the wilderness somewhere.  I dearly hope the filly is alright, if anypony can help her, it's him.

Kris has finally settled down and gone to sleep.  She thinks I'm angry at her, and maybe I am.  She knew better than to go out in the forest, and this is exactly why.  I'm too upset and worried about her to be truly mad at her right now.  Every time she wakes and groans, it tears at my heart.  At least she's here where I can watch her again.  I try to do everything I can for her, but I can't be everywhere at once.

I... just hope that I'll be here long enough.

((Armok's beard, that turned out even longer than the last one I think.  I get a bit carried away writing these things!))

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: December 10, 2011, 02:29:42 pm »

((Armok's beard, that turned out even longer than the last one I think.  I get a bit carried away writing these things!))

((That's fine with me, I enjoy reading these.))
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 665