Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 665

Author Topic: My Little Fortress. Glitterglen.  (Read 272743 times)

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress. Glitterglen.
« Reply #9885 on: April 13, 2012, 11:22:59 pm »

I shake my head slightly, trying to fight back fearful tears.

"N-No... my deeds... I can't make up for them... ever..."
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9886 on: April 14, 2012, 12:47:01 am »

"Khenal, you aren't the same pony that did those things. You are a better pony now. You shouldn't forget what happened there, but that doesn't change the fact that you are a hero to the hundred plus ponies out there." Charity gestures toward the door before adding, "and you are a good pony, even if you don't know it."

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9887 on: April 14, 2012, 01:13:01 am »

As I continue to slowly back away from Charity and Starkey, I bump into a statue.  I turn, clumsily trying to keep it upright with just my hooves, magic forgotten.  After securing it, I notice what the statue is of:  Myself, striking down a Diomedian.  I take a few steps away, shaking, before responding to Charity.

"A better pony?  No!  Th... That's the kind of thinking that lead to the Asylum!  I'm not a hero, I'm just a normal pony!  I don't deserve statues or status!  I don't deserve a title!"

I slowly sink to the floor, the weight of my past slowly crushing me.

"I... I don't deserve..."
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9888 on: April 14, 2012, 01:21:00 am »

Forgetting all formalities of rank, Otik approaches and lays a hoof on Khenal's back.

"Ye deserve much more than ye give yerself credit for, Khenal. Wot happened b'fore... that's all in th' past. Ye've come so far since then."
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9889 on: April 14, 2012, 01:33:19 am »

Charity moves to the side of Khenal opposite of Otik and places a hoof upon his withers. "She's right Khenal, if you hadn't come far from where you were then, then would you have so many friends here who care about you? Would I have made you Captain of my bodyguard if you weren't a good and trustworthy pony. You deserve what respect you have gotten here."

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9890 on: April 14, 2012, 01:36:09 am »

I cringe at the hoof on my back, still shuddering as Charity adds her as I try to not totally break down.

"N-No... I'm f-f-falling into the same traps again... hubris... again... "

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9891 on: April 14, 2012, 02:01:39 am »

"Hubris? Khenal, you're one of the humblest ponies I know. Why, just look at youself now!"
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9892 on: April 14, 2012, 02:09:38 am »

I look up to Otik and Charity, practically begging.

"Please... please stop... I can't... I can't f-fall to hubris again... I can't let the Asylum... happen again..."

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9893 on: April 14, 2012, 02:14:06 am »

Otik pulls Khenal into a hug, resting his head on her shoulder.

"Hey... tha' willnae happen again. Ye've got somethin' ye didnae have last time."

"You have friends."

"Ye have family."

"You have her."

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9894 on: April 14, 2012, 02:22:34 am »

Charity's face becomes much more serious. "Khenal, Stand Up."

Once he does so she looks him in the eyes. "Khenal, Otik is right, that isn't going to happen. You won't make that same mistakes again. And if you did start down that road, you have so many friends here who love you that would set you right again."

She reaches out hoof to touch his side. "Not least of all myself. Now, I need to talk to your new recruits in private. You head home now. And you and Friesden are taking the day after tomorrow off. No Buts! If Doctor Bubbles gives Friesden any trouble about it, you tell him it was my orders. Go enjoy yourself, and you think about the three of us have said."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:28:55 am by KingStrongbeard »

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9895 on: April 14, 2012, 02:29:05 am »

I stand as Charity orders, still a bit shaky and sniffling.  They were all right.  I was... so lonely at the Capital... no Friends, no Family... no Light...  I would have to stay diligent, but they would be able to help me, to point out if I was going down the wrong path again.  I try to argue when she gives me the day off, but Charity is brooking none of it.  I give a weak salute and head home, desperately needing to see Friesden.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9896 on: April 14, 2012, 02:37:52 am »

Charity smiles as Khenal leaves the room and after he closes the door behind him, lets out a sigh. As Starkey and Otik move to stand by each other again, Charity looks at the two of them, her face once more serious and devoid of emotion. "By now both of you have likely heard the rumor that General Dostob is on his way here. These rumors are true and he's bringing a whole legion of the best troops in The Shells. Do you know what this means?"

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9897 on: April 14, 2012, 02:40:12 am »

Starkey's face is a mxture of shock and...anger?

"...Her? She's coming to Glitterglen?"

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9898 on: April 14, 2012, 02:52:53 am »

"If by her, you mean our [sarcasm]dear and beloved[/sarcasm] Princess, then yes, very possibly." Charity looks at the floor and then back up at her two friends, "I will tell you what I told Khenal. The Princess has been in contact with me for years, it is her orders that send our workers to the surface, she is the reason we have our flanks hanging out there in the jungle risking daily Diomedian ambushes. She demands much, and we are way behind schedule. She's killed ponies for less serious offenses. I know, I worked in her city for years. The Princess has already tried to kill me once, I have no doubt she might try it again should she find any reason. If you are to join my Guard, you have one last test you must pass. You must swear an oath to follow me above all else. I hate to ask this of you my friends, and I do trust you, but I need to hear you swear it."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:19:30 am by KingStrongbeard »

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: April 14, 2012, 03:12:26 am »

Starkey ponders for a moment.

"Above all... above my family? No. My homeland and my countryponies? No."

He looks up into Charity's eyes.

"But above Hugwax? Without question."

Otik does not hesitate for quite so long.

"I'd follow you over her any day, ma'am."

Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 665