Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 665

Author Topic: My Little Fortress. Glitterglen.  (Read 281210 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress. Glitterglen.
« Reply #5625 on: December 23, 2011, 05:22:40 am »

Anxiety flashes over Friesden's face. "But...but you told me everypony does that...Don't they?"
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: December 23, 2011, 05:47:04 am »

"I did, hun. An' they do. But... to a lot of ponies, it matters more who ye do it with. F'r example: like any rumor, I garuntee ye this one gets a little... twisted... when it goes 'round. Some ponies in this room might think I'm steppin' out on Starkey. Others might think he's steppin' out on me. Th' ones who got it straight from th' pony's mouth may be talkin' 'bout why: Is Starkey abusin' th' power o' his station? By itself, it's not bad. But when ye think about th' things that come with it... it turns inta somethin' else."
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: December 23, 2011, 05:50:31 am »

"Is this...is this bad? What we're doing?"
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: December 23, 2011, 05:56:36 am »

"Priests, philosophers, an' damn near everypony else have been askin' that question forever. me? I think that, so long as everypony actually involved is okay with it, it en't anypony else's business."
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: December 23, 2011, 05:59:20 am »

"O...okay then...mum." Her face started to brighten.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: December 23, 2011, 06:01:32 am »

"Hey. You... dunnae seem so confident. Are ye sure yer okay with what happened?"

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: December 23, 2011, 06:49:08 am »

Charity's Journal 1st Opal 99
I had the military line up for inspection today. It was miserable. Not the soldiers, though there are some holes in their ranks, it is their gear. Far to many of them are making do with sub-par equipment, some of them still have bone or leather covering their flanks. It is unacceptable. I've spoken with the armorers and they are going to use our remaining steel and bronze to try and outfit a few more. Unfortunately there isn't enough steel available, and our smelters aren't able to keep up with the volume of metal crap we acquire that needs melting down, I think we will have to add another smelter to our system.

Chairty's Journal 4th Opal 99
We've been working on setting up a private barracks for Cryptson and my private guard to train in. It's being built on the floor with my masonry workshop. Just two floors up from the dinning hall. Falcata has taken a personal interest in it's construction as well. I saw her helping to smooth the floor earlier today.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention, I've assigned Captain Falcata and her daughter Carrot's old home, right across the hall from my home, and right next to the Dinning Hall, it's in a wonderful position, I hope they can feel at home there.

19th Opal 99
Our scouts have spotted another horrible creature in the deep.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41621737/Fort/Gedor.png

20th Opal 99
Fortunately the beast was not as tough as it had appeared to be, and was dispatched with ease by our well trained fighting ponies.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41621737/Fort/Gedor%20Combat%20Report.png

It was Itur, one of Otik's mare's that got the killing strike, and after the fight she gave her weapon the name, Sellflash.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41621737/Fort/Sellflash.png

Also, today, Ironya gave birth to her first daughter. A little earthpony.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: December 23, 2011, 07:24:02 am »

"I..I feel strange."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: December 23, 2011, 07:28:47 am »

((I wish that Friesden the character was real, just so I could apologise to her for what I've done. What I am doing. What I will do.

I feel like the operative now.))

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: December 23, 2011, 09:42:05 am »

((Not done torturing her yet:) ))
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: December 23, 2011, 02:06:40 pm »

((I can't change what will happen without disregarding her character...damn me.))

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: December 23, 2011, 03:13:20 pm »

"With any luck, Starkey, we can get back to normal before the week is out."
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: December 23, 2011, 06:11:02 pm »

((The transcription is finally up.  Here's the link to part 1  Part 2 is a few posts down from it.  Not quite as long as the last one actually, only 22 pages.  And apologies for interrupting the scene unfolding, but here's Falcata and Kris' thoughts on what's happened so far and the not so distant future:))

Falcata's Diary - 12th Sandstone, 99

I'm back in the hospital again.  My head is killing me, not to mention the cut and stab wound I've received.  I was pretty shocked to wake up finding the duchess sitting next to me, concern plastered on her face.  I didn't really understand what was going on at the time, but she seemed positively elated that I was awake.  Apparently, the fact that I'm not babbling nonsense is new too, which worries me.  I hope I didn't say anything... off putting or incriminating while I was out of it.

My memories of what happened over the last day are a bit fuzzy, which is surely related to the pounding in my head.  I do remember Carrot appearing before us, heading to the tower... and fighting Couth Darkmane.  I don't really remember much from there.  Lady Charity tells me that I heroically placed myself between between her and a blow from Darkmane, possibly saving her life in the process.  I... vaguely remember doing that... but in any case she was most grateful, and I understand she personally carried me down here.  I'm... touched that she would go through the trouble herself.  Wasn't there anypony else there to carry me?

I regret that I didn't have a chance to thank her in turn.  She left a few hours ago, and at the time I was still fighting to remain conscious and lucid.  The thought didn't even cross my mind while she was here.  I should go tell her in person when I get the chance.

For now, I'm just too tired to do anything.  Kris has been here with me since I've been awake, but I don't know when she got here.  I could tell she had been crying her little heart out again, and this time I don't really blame her.  I didn't break my leg this time... I really could have given my life for the duchess.  I didn't even think about Kris when I made that decision...

13th Sandstone, 99

I'm totally blown away.  I didn't expect Lady Charity to host a feast commemorating our victory, much less ask me to be seated at her right side.  When we got there, she revealed to me that she was so impressed by my selflessness and courage, she wanted to make me captain of her personal bodyguard!  I was shocked, and didn't know what to say, and so without thinking about it, I accepted.  I kind of regret that, and told her that we need to talk in private.  She doesn't know I'm dying... and I'd hate to accept the position only to have it vacated so soon.  I haven't had a chance to speak with her yet... I hope she takes it well.

14th Sandstone, 99

I spoke with the duchess today, and I really must say that my opinion of her has changed dramatically in the past few days.  After hearing about the amulet incident, I was actually a bit scared of her, and made it a point to avoid contact with her as much as possible and to remain as formal and obedient to her when she was around.  Today though... I realized that she's actually a very kind pony, and it's only because of her title that I feared her before.

She was very understanding about my condition, and left the offer for me to command her personal bodyguard open.  When I told her why I wished to remain in the guard, she offered to give me and Kris a pension for the rest of our lives.  I... was completely shocked to hear the offer.  I accepted the position as her bodyguard, and she told me that she would see to getting me some new equipment for my position.

I feel a bit selfish accepting it, since I'm sure there's somepony else who could put the equipment to better use than me, but I didn't want to question her.  I considered taking the retirement... but I still haven't told Kris what's wrong with me, and retiring would basically force me to do that.  I'm... still not ready for that.  Not yet.

Kris' Diary - 18th Sandstone, 99

Oh, diary... I've been so upset the last few days that I haven't been able to write a thing, even in you.  At first I was really happy when mom told me that she was going to be fine after her fight, and that Lady Charity had given her a promotion for what she did... but it didn't last long.

Mom... has been really sad lately, even after she got the promotion.  And when I was looking around today... I found her diary.  I know I'm not supposed to read it, and she would be really mad at me if she found out... but I couldn't help it.  She's been so upset lately that she doesn't even eat much... and I wanted to know if I could help.

I almost couldn't even read it all.  Lilac was right!  Mom really is dying!  I felt sick after reading it, and I cried for hours.  It was tough... but I think I managed to get her to believe that I just didn't feel good when she got home.  I almost can't look at her, knowing that she's dying... she... she lied to me!  She said she was going to be okay!  Why would she do that!? 

Oh... mommy...  (Tears stain the page, disrupting another paragraph)

She... she wrote that there is nothing anypony can do.  I can't believe that there isn't anything anypony can do!  Dr. Bubbles has to be able to do something!  Or... mom always said that Mr. Khenal was the most powerful wizard in Glitterglen.  Maybe he can help?  But... she told me not to bother him... and if I do, he'll probably tell her that I read her diary...

Oh, diary... I... I don't know what to do!

16th Timber, 99

Sometimes I forget what I read in mom's diary, but when I remember, I start crying again.  It's been almost a month since I read it... and I still can't believe it.  I think she thinks something is wrong with me now... but I haven't told her what happened.  She... she keeps acting like nothing is wrong.  I don't understand why she doesn't tell me...

If nopony here can help her... then... I heard that a caravan should be here soon.  Maybe somepony there would know what to do?  Do they bring doctors?  I think I'll go check tomorrow morning when mom is on duty.  She doesn't have to know, and I don't think anypony there would tell her.  They wouldn't know she was my mom, right?

Falcata's Diary, 28th Timber, 99

Kris knows something is wrong with me.  I can see it in her face every time she looks at me.  I feel horrible for not telling her the truth, but so far I haven't been able to muster the courage to crush her like that.  I have the courage to throw my life away to save the duchess, but not tell my own daughter the truth.  What kind of mother am I?  I think I've waited long enough, she deserves to know the truth.  I'm going to try to find the easiest way to break it to her, but I don't think such a thing exists.  I'm not sure what to do.

Lady Charity summoned me to her office today, so I didn't tell Kris yet.  There she presented me with an absolutely beautiful new silver warhammer to signify my new position.  I assumed it was just for ceremonial use, considering the ornamentations on it but she assured me that Ironya intends it for combat use and that I shouldn't be afraid of damaging it.  I hope I never have to swing it at a foe, but I know that's probably a forlorn hope.  I thanked her in earnest and asked her to pass my thanks off to Ironya and the other craftsponies for doing such a superb job.

I really must find someplace to display it.  I wouldn't want to appear ungrateful!

4th Opal, 99

As if the warhammer wasn't enough, Lady Charity summoned me to her office today to tell me that Kris and I were going to be moving into Captain Carrot's old room across from hers.  I wasn't expecting that, and I again thanked her so much for the gift.  I shouldn't have any problems finding somewhere to display my weapon now.  I just hope Carrot isn't too put off by us moving into his old home.  If he has any thoughts on it, I'm sure he'll find a way to let me know...

((Just wow, that came out long winded.  Not sure how much butchering I did with the timeline, but I think it'll fit in eventually.  Some of that takes place days or weeks ahead of the current RP, so I'll have to wait a bit before posting any more on some of this.  Plot hooks ahoy!  Perhaps I should start on that choose your own adventure while I wait?

I also just realized that it's kind of odd to put ellipses in journal entries.  It's supposed to be the characters writing it out, not saying it, but it's hard not to.  I'm too lazy to go rewrite it all.  :P))
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:15:48 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: December 23, 2011, 06:31:52 pm »

((Fantastic job at transcribing as always!))
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: December 23, 2011, 07:17:08 pm »

Anxiety grows again on Friesden's face. "Where...where's Khenal?"
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 665