Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: Man jailed for trolling  (Read 18347 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Man jailed for trolling
« Reply #285 on: September 22, 2011, 01:02:41 pm »

DrPoo, learn how to use this:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tact

Then you might avoid these situations.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 22, 2011, 01:08:54 pm »

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:10:46 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 22, 2011, 02:13:32 pm »

It was just a creative insult, i have heard somewhere that alchohol shits up the fetus causing a wide variety of different flavors of autism and mania.

Oh, so we're using "autistic" as an insult, now?

Thanks.  Thanks a lot.

Also, you're just digging a deeper hole for yourself, so you might want to stop about now.
on top of that: autism isn't caused by alcohol abuse during pregnancy, it's genetic afaik. if you're going to start making claims, at least get your facts straight. someone linked to the wiki page for FAS, maybe you should start there.
I dont like unreasoned hostility :(
meant to or not, that comment was offensive so Vectors hostility is not unreasoned
it's also not just an insult to autistic people but also their mothers... and noone insults my mother  >:(

as kaijyuu mentioned, you could do with some more tact

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 22, 2011, 04:45:57 pm »

Ok ok you win. I just shut up. I dont want to do a huge game of wiki golf whenever i post anyway.
Sorry for having an opinion and attempting to participate in a discussion.

Inb4 troll accustations and diagnoses flying everywhere.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 22, 2011, 04:52:10 pm »

Calm down everyone, he lacked tact but wasn't trying to agreviate anyone.
The insult he used was something like "alcohol soaked foetus" which would rather cause severe deformity, mental retardation and death, but it was only to call bullies retards.
Of course we could discuss the morality of using "retard" as an insult, but he is taking a slightly too heavy blame for what he wrote.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 22, 2011, 04:54:42 pm »

No, no, having an opinion and participating in discussion is fine, admirable, and in general an awesome thing. Kudos, for speaking up about it! That's not what you've been criticized for.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 22, 2011, 05:04:54 pm »

DrPoo, learn how to use this:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tact

Then you might avoid these situations.

I was born without tact.. Cant do much about it, i just fail. The most friends i made are people who want my knowlegde, like today some guy on SS13 tortured me with chrmicals and called me a fail something,untill i told him that i knew the recipe for poly acid..
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2011, 05:13:23 pm »

Okay, and that's fine. The number 1 rule, if you have difficulty figuring out what's socially acceptable, is to accept that and plan accordingly. Be willing to apologize if you err, especially if you have difficulty coming up with a reply that isn't insulting to the person you think is overreacting. I don't think you're any worse a person for having difficulty navigating social customs (Zeus knows I have enough problems there myself), and perhaps that spiel I typed up was overly harsh as a result.

Basically, what I'm saying is that, if you don't have an intuitive grasp of tact, that's okay. You're bound to make mistakes, but that's all they are. You can usually apologize for not recognizing the implications of what you said, or that somebody would be offended, and then just move on. After all, if it was a mistake (and that is, I think, what you're saying; that you didn't intend to insult people for being on the autism spectrum, and just made the comparison without considering every possible implication), there's no need to defend it, right?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 24, 2011, 05:24:56 am »

Good riddance. Hopefully after a few more people get jailed for such offenses the minority of people on the internet who get their jollies by messing with other people will learn to grow the fuck up.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 24, 2011, 01:16:04 pm »

Good riddance. Hopefully after a few more people get jailed for such offenses the minority of people on the internet who get their jollies by messing with other people will learn to grow the fuck up.
Please.

have you seen how well this worked with piracy?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 24, 2011, 01:32:50 pm »

Seriously. I don't really see this as any sort of wake up call to trolls. Plus, this was straight up personal harASSment . I see trolling as going onto forums and message boards and messing with people, Often using stereotypes and such, instead of using personal information to cause mental pain. But that's just a personal definition, I'm sure the actual one includes all types of harassment over the 'net.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 24, 2011, 01:41:32 pm »

Seriously. I don't really see this as any sort of wake up call to trolls. Plus, this was straight up personal harASSment . I see trolling as going onto forums and message boards and messing with people, Often using stereotypes and such, instead of using personal information to cause mental pain. But that's just a personal definition, I'm sure the actual one includes all types of harassment over the 'net.

The problem is mostly that the man wasn't jailed for trolling.

He was jailed because he trolled and the kid commited suicide.

Which I have a serious problem with. If a crime doesn't warrent a charge if no harm comes to pass then it wasn't worthy of a charge after the fact.

Honestly it has been worse. Verbal Schoolyard bullying has lead to court ONLY because the kid commited suicide. Honestly people...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 24, 2011, 02:00:33 pm »

Well no, he was harrassing the families of people who had died and slandering them.  Suicide doesn't come into it at all (except that one of the people who's families he harrassed had committed suicide, but that was nothing to do with him).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 24, 2011, 03:18:11 pm »

Well no, he was harrassing the families of people who had died and slandering them.  Suicide doesn't come into it at all (except that one of the people who's families he harrassed had committed suicide, but that was nothing to do with him).

Ohh... well then what the heck does this even gain the attention of the board?

A person commited constant harassment, people caught on... the end.

It just goes to show that I REALLY should just assume what a topic is about and should read up on it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 24, 2011, 03:22:01 pm »

I like the way you've completely contradicted yourself.  From "It's irrelevant whether someone committed suicide or not" to "Oh, noone committed suicide?  Then clearly it's not important".
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22