Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22

Author Topic: Man jailed for trolling  (Read 18279 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Man jailed for trolling
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2011, 08:45:49 pm »

Human life is a terminal illness...
Many people say that to make dying people feel better, but it's not the case.
Illness is described specifically as an unhealthy condition of body or mind, to say that life is a terminal illness is to say that a healthy person is immortal.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2011, 08:48:54 pm »

Illness is described specifically as an unhealthy condition of body or mind, to say that life is a terminal illness is to say that a healthy person is immortal.

No, to say that life is a terminal illness is to say that a dead person is immortal; Which in some technical senses of the term (such as if "immortal" is defined as "not able to die") is technically a correct statement.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2011, 08:51:56 pm »

To say life is a terminal illness is to be a shitty internet nihilist. Because that's not correct in a technical or poetic sense, at all.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2011, 08:59:25 pm »

Ah the beauty of the metaphor, allowing you be argue and get no where with 200% more reliability.

But, due to what I perceive is the cause of suicide (emotional pressure, in this case, because the bullying "caused" it), if you're able to reasonably shut yourself off from the cause (emotional pressure) in one case, and are not in the other, I can understand your reasoning less in the former.

Hum I suppose I can understand your reasoning to a certain extent here, although the idea of completely shutting oneself off or expecting one to do so is something I do not agree with. IE: They should not have to shut themselves off, nor would I blame them for not despite the consequences. At least not on the theoretical level.

BTW, in regard to suicide, why is it more tragic when somebody who wants to die dies than when somebody who doesn't want to die dies?

It is not, but it is a not the same type of tragity, thus some view it as more or less relative to others by their ability to relate. More specifically, many times there is a concrete reason for death. He got shot. She got crushed. It's not quite as easy with suicide, and it is at the same time less arbitrary, more likely something could be done.

And my understanding, suicidal people don't want to die so much as stop hurting so badly that death is a price they're willing to pay. But still a price.

"understanding" There are many reasons for suicide. Of which that is only one.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2011, 09:03:21 pm »

But, due to what I perceive is the cause of suicide (emotional pressure, in this case, because the bullying "caused" it), if you're able to reasonably shut yourself off from the cause (emotional pressure) in one case, and are not in the other, I can understand your reasoning less in the former.

Hum I suppose I can understand your reasoning to a certain extent here, although the idea of completely shutting oneself off or expecting one to do so is something I do not agree with. IE: They should not have to shut themselves off, nor would I blame them for not despite the consequences. At least not on the theoretical level.

Yeah, that is certainly a problem. In that, outside of shutting yourself off from the bully, it is basically just like real life bullying. And that's why I can only deal in theoretical level arguments here: a real, reasonable person PROBABLY wouldn't just stop using the internet or the service through which they're being harassed.

I want to state that things like this are why the sigtext thread is great and I should start using it:

Ah the beauty of the metaphor, allowing you to argue and get no where with 200% more reliability

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2011, 09:07:40 pm »

And my understanding, suicidal people don't want to die so much as stop hurting so badly that death is a price they're willing to pay. But still a price.

True, but it's usually the reasoning I hear (from people studying suicide and, on the rare occasion I've been involved, suicidal people). It's not universal, just my experience and something I can understand, and I thought it would be a helpful perspective for someone asking.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:23:04 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2011, 09:17:37 pm »

True, but it's usually the reasoning I hear (from people studying suicide and, on the rare occasion I've been involved, suicidal people). It's not universal, just by experience and something I can understand, and I thought it would be a helpful perspective for someone asking.

Wanting to commit suicide is a sign that your brain is disordered. Three possible vectors (as far as I can discern).

External person. E.g., you get bullied for a year and that causes an inbalance in serotonin that causes depression that causes you to commit suicide. Either manslaughter or murder.

External environment. E.g., a homosexual raised in a fundamentalist Christian family. Through unwelcoming/discouraging environment, feels for whatever reason that they don't deserve to live. Causes depression, causes suicide. Manslaughter (possibly. If it's not possible to pin the crime on person, no crime? Someone help me with this.)

Internal. E.g., brain has inherent imbalance. Causes depression, causes suicide. Negligence, maybe?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2011, 09:22:49 pm »

Er. Wrong quote?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2011, 09:25:14 pm »

The first bit was for you :P
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2011, 09:26:27 pm »

Hum. That is a dangerous area you wander into Dsarker.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2011, 09:28:49 pm »

Then I'm... really confused. Are you agreeing? I suppose posting the more physiological circumstances that lead to that reasoning manifesting is kind of agreement?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2011, 09:36:50 pm »

How do you mean, Cryptfeind?

Bauglir, I'm just posting my own uninformed and completely unscientific ideas as to other causes of depression, manifesting in suicide.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2011, 09:46:50 pm »

You're also missing one of the more common stated (at least) reasons for suicide or attempted suicide, namely to relieve a burden on loved ones/society. One of the more regularly given reasons for suicide among the disabled and elderly, from what I understand. Might be able to fit into the B), but the external situation is neither hostile nor the major reason for considering suicide (internal love for others is).

Depending on certain other commitments, suicide might also be seen as the most rational, or at worse least painful, choice given a particular situation. It might be better than life imprisonment, for example, or when falsely accused of something that will leave a powerful stigma even once absolved of guilt, effectively ruining one's chances at much of a future. Also, re: Socrates, heh.

Suicide's not a very clear cut issue, honestly, especially if you actually give a sympathetic ear to those considering it. Calling considering it a disease or brain disorder is, in my opinion, drastically underestimating the complexity of the situation.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:50:09 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2011, 09:50:28 pm »

True, but it's usually the reasoning I hear (from people studying suicide and, on the rare occasion I've been involved, suicidal people). It's not universal, just by experience and something I can understand, and I thought it would be a helpful perspective for someone asking.

Wanting to commit suicide is a sign that your brain is disordered. Three possible vectors (as far as I can discern).

External person. E.g., you get bullied for a year and that causes an inbalance in serotonin that causes depression that causes you to commit suicide. Either manslaughter or murder.

External environment. E.g., a homosexual raised in a fundamentalist Christian family. Through unwelcoming/discouraging environment, feels for whatever reason that they don't deserve to live. Causes depression, causes suicide. Manslaughter (possibly. If it's not possible to pin the crime on person, no crime? Someone help me with this.)

Internal. E.g., brain has inherent imbalance. Causes depression, causes suicide. Negligence, maybe?
If this is were to be the accepted types of suicide, all of your punishments would be impossible to discern.  Any external cause for suicide would be rendered void by the reasonable doubt caused by a possible internal reason.

You're also missing one of the more common stated (at least) reasons for suicide or attempted suicide, namely to relieve a burden on loved ones/society. One of the more regularly given reasons for suicide among the disabled and elderly, from what I understand.
That classifies under external enviornment.

No, to say that life is a terminal illness is to say that a dead person is immortal; Which in some technical senses of the term (such as if "immortal" is defined as "not able to die") is technically a correct statement.

Ok, let me put it this way.

It is suddenly given that Life is a terminal illness.
An illness is an unhealthy condition of body or mind.
If any living person is terminally ill, they are unhealthy.
If a person is near death, he must be unhealthy.
For a person to be healthy, he must be not unhealthy
.'. A healthy person can never die.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2011, 10:00:18 pm »

How do you mean, Cryptfeind?

Talking of criminal punishments specifically for causes of as hard to understand as suicide?

Also I before E except after C.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22