Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22

Author Topic: Man jailed for trolling  (Read 18284 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Man jailed for trolling
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2011, 08:12:21 pm »

Ah. Okay fine. Let me restate.

Calling the police because someone shot at you in a car is less reasonable then calling them because someone shot at you as you were walking.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2011, 08:14:07 pm »

Calling the police because someone shot at you in a car is less reasonable then calling them because someone shot at you as you were walking.

Hmm, nope. Remember how I said earlier that I thought it was perfectly reasonable that the transgressed in the original case called the police, even though it was an online version of the crime?

Here:

No, because it doesn't make what the offender is doing "okay", nor does it make cyberbullying any more "okay" than in real life. Both are harassment in some form, and both are awful. Reporting it to the authorities was not any more wrong than if someone was harassing you in real life.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2011, 08:17:19 pm »

So? Less reasonable does not mean not reasonable.

Both are a fuck yes call the police. But, by applying theoretical mitigating circumstances (that do not involve the difference between walking and driving a car) one becomes a no do not call the police sooner.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2011, 08:19:26 pm »

So? Less reasonable does not mean not reasonable.

Both are a fuck yes call the police. But, by applying theoretical mitigating circumstances (that do not involve the difference between walking and driving a car) one becomes a no do not call the police sooner.

I must be confused because I agree with you completely on both points (except the mitigating circumstances, which I genuinely do not understand, because while my previous argument WAS about those to some degree, they were not at all related to calling the police). To restate, calling the police in this situation was exactly as responsible and reasonable as if it were real life bullying. What are you disagreeing with again?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:21:43 pm by freeformschooler »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2011, 08:21:08 pm »

We are not even talking about calling the police. That is a stand in for the idea of the reasonableness of any act or response, in this particular case -Suicide-

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2011, 08:23:55 pm »

Doesn't matter, either morally, or in the eyes of the law.

By that reasoning, it's more legal to break into my house when I'm awake than when I'm asleep, afterall, I can respond better if I'm awake when you come inside.

Its more like saying that its more legal and/or acceptable to smoke and/or sell crack cocaine in a ship out in international waters than it is to smoke and sell crack cocaine in a ship floating down the Thames.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2011, 08:26:16 pm »

Try with a crime that has a victim other then 'society'.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2011, 08:26:39 pm »

We are not even talking about calling the police. That is a stand in for the idea of the reasonableness of any act or response, in this particular case -Suicide-

Ah, alright. See, calling the police is a reasonable thing to do in both circumstances, and suicide is unreasonable in both also. However, theoretical circumstances don't make calling the police less reasonable. But, due to what I perceive is the cause of suicide (emotional pressure, in this case, because the bullying "caused" it), if you're able to reasonably shut yourself off from the cause (emotional pressure) in one case, and are not in the other, I can understand your reasoning less in the former.

Don't be surprised if my arguments and posts become more inane or nonsensical as the night goes on.

None of this makes the crime less the fault of the transgressor or more the responsibility of the victim. The victim's only responsiblity is what they do because of it. They cannot control the crime itself, offline or online. (However, online, they can control to a certain degree how much they are affected by it)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:30:41 pm by freeformschooler »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2011, 08:34:01 pm »

BTW, in regard to suicide, why is it more tragic when somebody who wants to die dies than when somebody who doesn't want to die dies?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2011, 08:34:28 pm »

BTW, in regard to suicide, why is it more tragic when somebody who wants to die dies than when somebody who doesn't want to die dies?

I don't think it is?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2011, 08:35:29 pm »

Are you listening or are you just playing the "lala~ I can't hear you" game with me now? You can't take "Special Care" of people with depression without their consent.
I'm not sure to what extent this should be something the government does, maybe they can let people opt out of treatment instead of in, but keep in voluntary?  :-\
I'm not sure what you mean. They are forcibly entered, but allowed to leave at any time? There's no way to safely and accurately test the criteria neccessary for someone with depression, so there is no way for them to tell apart those who should go and those who shouldn't.

IDK about you but children born with terminal illnesses are pretty damn saddening

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2011, 08:36:40 pm »

I don't think it is?
And my understanding, suicidal people don't want to die so much as stop hurting so badly that death is a price they're willing to pay. But still a price.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2011, 08:40:22 pm »

I don't think it is?

Neither do I; Nor do I believe them to be equal in tragedy. This does not, however, appear to be the prevailing opinion of society.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2011, 08:41:14 pm »

IDK about you but children born with terminal illnesses are pretty damn saddening

Human life is a terminal illness...
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2011, 08:42:37 pm »

I almost feel bad about destroying this thread with my silly argument.

Almost.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22