Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: Man jailed for trolling  (Read 18321 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Man jailed for trolling
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 05:14:17 pm »

Hrm :-/ That still leaves the question as to why they would view the internet as "real life". I mean, if somebody was already severley depressed, then I could see cyber bullying as the straw that broke the camel's back, but alone, no. Also, if this man did go around blocks, then the harassment charges were completley justified, and probably should have been institued pretty early on.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 05:16:51 pm »

Thats just it about this, I know that one can easily block somebody over the internet, or effectivly ignore them. Nearly everywhere you go on the internet has an effective way to deal with bullies. This is not so in real life. Just try pressing the "ignore" button here.

Exactly!
Ah, I understand why you don't understand it - cyber bullying is, in most cases, "real life" (as if the internet would be any less real) bullies pursuing you online. Leaving you no escape from them. And it's really not that hard to go around a block.

But you don't have to use your real name online. And if it gets to be too much, you can just delete your account or whatever. There is still a difference here. On the internet, you have multiple decades' worth of advancement in security of control, even past being blocked, whereas in real life, you have almost nothing.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 05:17:44 pm »

Thats just it about this, I know that one can easily block somebody over the internet, or effectivly ignore them. Nearly everywhere you go on the internet has an effective way to deal with bullies. This is not so in real life. Just try pressing the "ignore" button here.

Exactly!
Ah, I understand why you don't understand it - cyber bullying is, in most cases, "real life" (as if the internet would be any less real) bullies pursuing you online. Leaving you no escape from them. And it's really not that hard to go around a block.

But you don't have to use your real name online. And if it gets to be too much, you can just delete your account or whatever. There is still a difference here. On the internet, you have multiple decades of advancement in security of control, even past being blocked, whereas in real life, you have almost nothing.
Not everyone wants to be anonymous on the internet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 05:19:09 pm »

If someone is making youtube videos that unfairly insult a member of your family who can't defend themselves then you'll want to stop it.  If the memory of someone is all that is left then you're damn well entitled to stop people from falsely destroying it.

I put it to you that ignoring these videos and offensive wall posts would not have been sufficient.  Whether he went around blocks (although he almost certainly did) is irrelevant.

And whether or not it's "real life", a real person is talking to you.  A real person who may be able to manipulate your emotions, especially if for some reason you're vulnerable to that (and I'd say that being vulnerable doesn't mean that you deserve to die).

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2011, 05:21:23 pm »

Exactly!

But you don't have to use your real name online. And if it gets to be too much, you can just delete your account or whatever. There is still a difference here. On the internet, you have multiple decades of advancement in security of control, even past being blocked, whereas in real life, you have almost nothing.
Not everyone wants to be anonymous on the internet.

No, but at least you can be, unlike real life. And even if you aren't, it's still an option if you're being bullied. For example, stop using your real life name account, and make an anonymous one.

Maybe there is something I'm not getting here. In a large majority of cases, even just stopping using the account or service or entire INTERNET or whatever, if it's not real people you really know, will disconnect you from the bullying. You simply cannot do that in real life.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:23:02 pm by freeformschooler »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2011, 05:22:07 pm »

And whether or not it's "real life", a real person is talking to you.  A real person who may be able to manipulate your emotions, especially if for some reason you're vulnerable to that (and I'd say that being vulnerable doesn't mean that you deserve to die).
And being vulnerable about your daughter's recent death is understandable even among the most stone-hearted. What he did was extremely cruel.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2011, 05:22:47 pm »

If someone is making youtube videos that unfairly insult a member of your family who can't defend themselves then you'll want to stop it.  If the memory of someone is all that is left then you're damn well entitled to stop people from falsely destroying it.

If somebody does that I will get angry at them. And I will respond rationally by making a response video insulting them.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 05:24:07 pm »

But you don't have to use your real name online. And if it gets to be too much, you can just delete your account or whatever. There is still a difference here.
You can't 'just delete your account', that's where people communicate with you. It's not impossible to delete one account, set up another, and message all the people you want to talk to, trying not to forget anyone (this will upset them, and as a teenage girl this is important to you). But the amount of energy that you (a depressed person) needs to put into it is orders of magnitude more then what the bully will need to do in order to find your new screenname.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 05:25:16 pm »

In real life, you can totally wear a clava wherever you go and disappear from the public eye. I've got a few books that explain how to do it.

There's no bloody difference between irl and internet talking, legally. Moreover, this fucker's speech is even less legal than picketing a funeral (as picketing a funeral has a political goal, and as such is specially protected speech). His actions clearly met the legal definition of harassment/ slander/ libel. Guys a fucking dick and if I met him in real life, I'd happily beat the shit out of him.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 05:25:57 pm »

If somebody does that I will get angry at them. And I will respond rationally by making a response video insulting them.
Yes that will solve everything.

Leaving aside the effectiveness (or complete lack of it) of your proposed solution, not everyone is you.  Some people would like to stop their daughter's name from being dragged through the mud any more.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 05:26:22 pm »

But that gets nobody anywhere. You've just started a fight.
The best response would obviously be to ignore it. That's not really an option that these families had, as the man was emotionally damaging them. They couldn't ignore it forever; it would still be brought up frequently, and that's not something you can just forget.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 05:27:41 pm »

But you don't have to use your real name online. And if it gets to be too much, you can just delete your account or whatever. There is still a difference here.
You can't 'just delete your account', that's where people communicate with you. It's not impossible to delete one account, set up another, and message all the people you want to talk to, trying not to forget anyone (this will upset them, and as a teenage girl this is important to you). But the amount of energy that you (a depressed person) needs to put into it is orders of magnitude less then what the bully will need to do in order to find your new screenname.

Actually, you can just do that. It may not be realistic or fair or fun, but you are physically capable of deleting your account, starting a new one, and adding all the people from your old account to it, privately. You are physically incapable of deleting your irl account and starting a new one. You are also physically capable of not reading the offender's messages, for instance, if they're not people you know in real life. You are not capable of doing that with someone breathing down your neck.

By the way, I still think this guy is sick and what he was doing, if not harassment, was borderline harassment. And harassment is reasonably illegal.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:29:36 pm by freeformschooler »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 05:29:17 pm »

But that gets nobody anywhere. You've just started a fight.
The best response would obviously be to ignore it. That's not really an option that these families had, as the man was emotionally damaging them. They couldn't ignore it forever; it would still be brought up frequently, and that's not something you can just forget.

Well I sincerely believe that it is more civil to fight online than in court. By involving the authorities in a petty argument they sunk below even his level.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2011, 05:30:46 pm »

Actually, you can just do that. It may not be realistic or fair or fun, but you are physically capable of deleting your account, starting a new one, and adding all the people from your old account to it, privately. You are physically incapable of deleting your irl account and starting a new one.
Is this one of those "it's ok because you can just <insert unreasonable alternative here>" arguments? I hate those :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2011, 05:31:36 pm »

In this topic, people assume there's literally, any difference between harrasment on the internet and in "Real life".

No this was the proper response. If this kind of thing was done say, by somehow getting the videos to a public access station somehow no one would question that this was horrible and very senseless harassment. It's not internet names anymore, it's actual people and I'm sorry people act like people. Not wanna be anon tough guys.

The internet isn't really super serious business, but sometimes things like this actually are. It's not like if i made fun of someone on here for posting habits or whatever. It was actual people, as in the person and not the name being dragged through the mud.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22