Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: Man jailed for trolling  (Read 18339 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Man jailed for trolling
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 04:18:13 pm »

Harassment is harassment, regardless of place. He should've gotten the same punishment as if he would've done it outside of the Internet.

People shouldn't be punished for saying hurtful things offline either. People need to stop being so fucking sensitive. Haters gonna hate whether people like it or not.

Naw man, no free-tromps for dumbasses. I'd rather buy a gun.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 04:19:14 pm »

This is a British article. Aren't British slander and libel laws and things like that ultra-draconian? I know that I've heard that somewhere.

Keep in mind this is the Daily mail, not exactly known for being unbiased as well. Also a nice little extract from the comments:

"Its interesting that people don't think people with aspergers should be punished they have capacity and normal intelligence so should suffer the consequences"

Again, the Daily mail everyone.
Blargh.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 04:25:46 pm »

Huh, thats weird. I saw this same exact topic with the same exact title on tvtropes. Anyways, I just honestly dont see how cyberbullying can drive somebody to suicide. Also, it is very easy to get somebody banned on youtube if they are bothering you, and people on facebook can be blocked easily. I'm not in support of this troll, but I do think that the sentence was too harsh for such a simple thing as trolling.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 04:27:48 pm »

Anyways, I just honestly dont see how cyberbullying can drive somebody to suicide.

I also have difficulty understanding this. I mean, really. It's the internet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 04:30:53 pm »

Anyways, I just honestly dont see how cyberbullying can drive somebody to suicide.

And if it does the world's probably better off without them.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 04:32:27 pm »

Okay that is sort of uncalled for. Analysis of cyberbullying or not, saying the world is better off without someone who drove or would drive themselves to suicide is pretty awful in at least 9 out of 10 contexts and situations.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 04:36:39 pm »

Too far.

18 months for severely harassing parents who have lost children seems a tad too much, but if it makes them feel better...
It's not like society is going to suffer without this guy for a few months.
A 5-year ban on personal networking sites seems rather stupid, though. Who came up with that as a punishment?

This is where the line needs to be drawn for trolls. There are the ones that do it because it's pretty basic humor, and then there are these guys. They give an unnecessarily bad image to trolls.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 04:37:05 pm »

Being a supporter of freedom of speech in any and all cases, I find the ruling absolutely ridiculous. I may heavily disagree with what he has to say, but I'll defend his right to say it.

That said, I'm all for victims of such heckling to have more avenues to ignore such people. He has a right to say what he wants, but people also have a right to not have to listen. Also, if he was bypassing ignore methods on facebook/whatever, that constitutes harassment in my eyes, and then we *would* have something worthy of throwing him in jail for.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 04:38:55 pm »

Okay that is sort of uncalled for. Analysis of cyberbullying or not, saying the world is better off without someone who drove or would drive themselves to suicide is pretty awful in at least 9 out of 10 contexts and situations.

Ok, maybe that was a bit harsh.

I still remain skeptical that cyberbullying really has any appreciable negative effect (unless you count the efforts made to stop it). If it did than all of the world's major politicians and entertainers would be dead from suicide, because they all get trashed on all the time.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 04:41:15 pm »

Being a supporter of freedom of speech in any and all cases, I find the ruling absolutely ridiculous. I may heavily disagree with what he has to say, but I'll defend his right to say it.

That said, I'm all for victims of such heckling to have more avenues to ignore such people. He has a right to say what he wants, but people also have a right to not have to listen. Also, if he was bypassing ignore methods on facebook/whatever, that constitutes harassment in my eyes, and then we *would* have something worthy of throwing him in jail for.

Its more than ridiculous. This is worse than in a tyrannical dictatorship,  they only arrest you if you make fun of the dictator, (or his minions, or his cronies).
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 04:42:53 pm »

18 months for severely harassing parents who have lost children seems a tad too much, but if it makes them feel better...
It's not like society is going to suffer without this guy for a few months.

Its not gonna suffer if the parents feel bad either.

EDIT: Sorry for the triple post.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 04:43:14 pm »

If this man, as stated before, was actually bypassing any sort of thing that the victim was doing to ignore him (beyond just not reading his stuff of course) then yes, this was harassment, over the internet or not. Even then, I still stand by the fact that nothing someone said to me over the internet could make me kill myself.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 04:43:45 pm »

That's actually a schroedenger argument. While it's obviously true that a person who can't take a bit of internet trolling without dieing has failed their evolutionary QA, the real situation is that these people are usually independently depressed and can be set off by a whole range of stimuli (bullying being a common one), but if their condition is not aggravated can make a full recovery and eventually become productive members of society. Saying all depressed people should die, on the other hand, is a like saying all people born deaf should die because it's their own fault they can't hear a car coming.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 04:43:50 pm »

Its more than ridiculous. This is worse than in a tyrannical dictatorship,  they only arrest you if you make fun of the dictator, (or his minions, or his cronies).
The right to make fun of your dictator and his cronies is more important than the right to mock some woman for her daughter's death.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 04:44:53 pm »

I also have difficulty understanding this. I mean, really. It's the internet.
Do you have also have difficulty understanding how offline bullying can drive somebody to suicide? Because there is no difference between them. In fact, cyber-bullying could even be counted be considered the same as somebody breaking into your home to bully you, which would otherwise be a safe space.

This isn't very related to cyber-bullying, though. He was harassing relatives of people who committed suicide, he wasn't the cause of the suicides to begin with.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22