Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Manormatch, the construction of new capitol  (Read 5858 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manormatch, the construction of new capitol
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 12:24:53 am »

The Tale of Hunger and War

The following tale is not directly related to Manormatch nor the civilization that founded the fortress. It is just a part of dwarven history in general and inspired by an artifact rock salt bracelet.

Year 32 was difficult year in terms of farming. Previous winter had been cold, followed by hot and dry summer. This resulted poor harvest above ground. Dwarves were unaffected by all this of course as their farms were exclusively underground. Humans had a hard time but the situation didn't get critical due all the animals they were able to hunt for food. But the elves didn't have that luxury, their traditions forbade all kind of animal hunting, resulting famine among elven societies.

When the winter of year 32 came it was clear to elven civilization The Ancient Larks that they could not survive through it without doing something. But what could they do? There was no way to get any kind of food from farms, neither from their own nor from human farms. Trading with dwarves were also out of question due their lack of respect towards wood. And then the idea came; even if they couldn't trade with dwarves attacking was an option. And so begun a great war, known as The Singed War, between elven civilization The Ancient Larks and dwarven civilization The Flags of Fording.

The first clash occurred during the midwinter of year 32, when the elves attacked the small dwarven outpost Trottedoars, which was just north and east from another, bigger dwarven fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why did the elves attack such an outpost instead of bigger fortress? The answer was easy, the outpost Trottedoars was inhabited only by three dwarves, who were preparing it for migrants, thus making it a easy target. Sixty-five elves took part in the attack, which was over as soon as it had begun. All three dwarves were slain and the fortress was pillaged and robbed. No elf died during the attack.

The victory wasn't enough to support the elves and thus another raid was needed. This time they turned the attention towards the second dwarven fortress, Lashdimpled.

This time the dwarves were wiser, and they managed to flee before the invading force arrived. They were forced to leave behind huge amount of stuff, including most of their food supplies, and so the elves avoided the starvation for now.

Even though the elves did get lots of food from the raid of Lashdimpled the war was far from being over. The following years were again terrible in terms of farming, which resulted three other attacks. During the winters of years 33 and 34 elves attacked the outpost Trottedoars again, both of raids being victorious. What made the war famous among all civilizations happened during the third raid of Trottedoars, year 34. The elves were already too hungry, and as the loot they found from the fortress weren't enough to satisfy the hunger, one elf decided to eat the fallen defenders. This act resulted elves adopting the custom of eating their victims and using their leather and bones to crafts.

The final conflict of the war took place in The Lost Jungle, and has become known as The Battle of Roasting.

This time the elves attacked a small party of dwarves, consisting of two members. It was later discovered that the dwarves were the emissary sent to negotiate the peace and his bodyguard. The elves weren't interesting in looting the two dwarves this time, but instead they just wanted to get the meat and fat of those two dwarves for eating. The spring came before the two lonely dwarves were struck down and eaten.

After the conflict the dwarves were forced to make an offer to elves. For leaving their kin alone the dwarves offered a portion of food produced monthly. The elves accepted this offer and so The Singed War ended.

Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 12:32:19 am »

What is my Crossbow skill at?

Skilled Archer and Skilled Marksdwarf. Not bad considered that you starterd without any skills.

EDIT:
Another artifact has been completed!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:55:16 am by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 02:05:22 am »

Another woman consort of evil! What the fuck they are? Never met one...
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 02:12:53 am »

Another woman consort of evil! What the fuck they are? Never met one...

They are basically normal dwarves abducted by evil entity, then turned to serve their new master. Think them like vampire maidens, without the fangs and ability to fly of course.

We got another mayor! And again it's one of our jewelers. Why it has to be always a jeweler?

By the way, just noticed something. We have 202 dwarves living in the fortress, of which only around fifty to sixty are idling... That means about one hundred dwarves are actually working!  :D

EDIT:
And another artifact has been created! This time no images of consorts of evil or devouring fallen victims? I'm disappointed...  :'(
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:24:15 am by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 03:06:55 am »

The Visit of Devil Diplomat

Summer was coming to an end and human caravan arrived. Just before the traders had reached the depot an alarm was given.

"We saw a devil! And it's coming right to us!" shouted Ropeunites. "Everybody inside! We need to kill that thing!"

One of the humans turned to Ropeunites. "Don't kill it! It's one of us!"
"One of you! What the hell are you talking about?" answered Oilaces, who had came to the entrance to see what was going on.
"Yes, it's one of us. In fact it's our diplomat."
"You have a demon as diplomat? Are you sure about that? I say we take no chance and kill it!" replied Oilaces.
"Do that and you risk the wrath of our kingdom. It won't do you any harm, perhaps our leader sent it to negotiate with you."

Oilaces pondered the situation for a moment. The risk of letting demon inside was great, but on the other hand she was curious to know more about the thing.

"Fine, let it come. But I assure you, any wrong movement from it or any of you and you shall all die!"
"Agreed." replied the trader.

And so the devil was allowed to enter the fortress. Everywhere it went it was followed by the archers, ready to kill it in slightest sign of aggression. It went straight to Oilaces' office, where the meeting begun.

The meeting didn't take long, the devil was there just to see the fortress while passing through, so no real negotiations was made. It was before the evening when the devil left the fortress, as it still had a long travel to the land of elves ahead. What it wanted with elves was not revealed, though deep in their hearts the dwarves hoped that it wouldn't be a peaceful visit.

After the demon left Oilaces begun to interrogate the traders.
"How come you have a devil as your diplomat?"
"I ain't sure, it has been living in our society for some time now. Perhaps our lord could answer to your question, if the devil didn't do that already."
"Alright, don't tell us if you don't want to. But take a word to your lord that we want a detailed description of the reasons why you have a diplomat like that. Fail to do that and our peaceful dealings are over!"
"Right, I can do that. Now, care to do some trading?"

Oilaces studied the human a bit, then replied. "No, no trading shall be done until our demand is filled. You can leave this place now, you surely know where the exit is?"

And so the traders left the fortress, unhappy for the turn of events.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 03:10:09 am »

Can you pretty please give me a status update on my dorf?  P.S., are we at war with anybody other than goblins?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2011, 03:18:03 am »

Can you pretty please give me a status update on my dorf?  P.S., are we at war with anybody other than goblins?

Since the Mass Execution you have been training in archery range a bit as there has been no threats around here lately...

You are quite good with the crossbow already, though there still is room for improvement.

And here are the kills you have made so far.

You also have a nice little family going on.  ;D

And no, we aren't currently on war against anyone else except goblins and kobolds. And neither has been too active lately. I blame the killing of general on that...
But my plans are to make the elves hate us, perhaps killing their traders often enough would be sufficient? Though that means a huge drop on FPS due all the crap they bring...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 03:19:58 am by Kipi »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 03:21:39 am »

I'm a family man, eh?  That's awesome.  I'm guessing the military is only made up of marksdwarves?  As a very minor request, is it ok if you keep it that way?  It makes us seem like an actual, modern army, instead of sword-swinging barbarians. 

It would be awesome if we could get some sort of 21 gun salute if we die.  But like you said, you won't take any special requests, I understand.   
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 04:05:13 am »

The Military of Adamantine

Since the discovery of adamantine the citizens of Manormatch have been dreaming of military equipped with adamantine. On 5th of Limestone, year 107, that dream came to true as seven dwarves were drafted to form a squad of axedwarves, equipped with the gear made from adamantine. And so the squad of Palisades of Order was made, commanded by military commander Fininked.

To celebrate this the order was given to install all the remaining cages containing goblins inside the execution room and then be slaughtered by the axedwarves. Next day the preparations were ready and the squad was ordered to station the room, after which the door was closed to prevent any escapes of unarmored goblins.

Unfortunately someone had forgotten to disarm two goblin thieves, which was realized only after the prisoners were set free. One of the soldiers were stabbed to death immediately.

When it was clear that the squad would have a very hard time on killing the two goblins, who happened to be extremely good at dodging as well, the archer squad was ordered to station above the room to help the axedwarves.

The goblins were slain and when the dust settled down it was noted that the whole squad of axedwarves were more or less injured, most of them lying unconscious on the floor.

Only two soldiers were able to walk away from the room on their own, leaving four injured dwarves to be carried to hospital. Several weeks passed but the doctors were eventually able to safe each six dwarf.

When all the survivors were out of hospital it was time to see who was able to continue on the military. Unfortunately there were only three dwarves remaining with no wounds that would hinder their duties; Nomal Breedmirrored, who was promoted to the commander of militia, Likot Earthmassive and Urist Hammerfountain. Rest of the squad was too injured to fight efficiently, and thus they were demoted back to peasants.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2011, 04:06:54 am »

I'm a family man, eh?  That's awesome.  I'm guessing the military is only made up of marksdwarves?  As a very minor request, is it ok if you keep it that way?  It makes us seem like an actual, modern army, instead of sword-swinging barbarians. 

It would be awesome if we could get some sort of 21 gun salute if we die.  But like you said, you won't take any special requests, I understand.

Most of our military will be archers, that's what I have planned. But I was forming a axedwarf squad using adamantine equipment which will serve as personal guard of the queen as soon as she arrives.

Unfortunately of the seven dwarves only three were hardy enough to stay on the squad...  :'( :D

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2011, 04:08:55 am »

Ouch, that was bad.  Were those really raw recruits?  Any decent warrior in adamantine probably wouldn't have fallen so easily. 

I hope you don't get ghosts.  Or stuff. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2011, 04:13:24 am »

Ouch, that was bad.  Were those really raw recruits?  Any decent warrior in adamantine probably wouldn't have fallen so easily. 

I hope you don't get ghosts.  Or stuff.

Yep, straight from pool of peasants...  ;D

And ghosts shouldn't be a problem since all dead dwarves are burried.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2011, 04:31:42 am »

You cremate your dorfs?

Man, if only there was some sort of Roman Empire mod, or something.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2011, 04:38:53 am »

The Joy and Sorrow of Becoming County

The coming of autumn also meant the arrival of caravan from mountain home as well as the visit of liaison.

With him the liaison brought the news so much waited; the queen had decided to promote the fortress of Manormatch as county, thus making Oilaces the countess.

During the negotiations one of the children decided to honor the news with artifact bauxite throne, with pictures of former rulers and special events.

But lo! Not everything went well! The caravan never reached the gates as it was ambushed by goblins. And not just one squad but two! The slaughter of traders was quick, after which the goblins escaped before any of the soldiers managed to reach the site. So, as there was no way any of the goods brought by the caravan would be left outside for looting, the archers were ordered to guard the scene of battle as long as it takes to get everything inside.

The liaison was, as expected, very unhappy of the turn of events. He blamed the rulers of Manormatch for not guarding their land well enough to allow the safety of traders, but the complaining wasn't listened. After all, how could have they known the goblins were out there as there had been no signs of activity in a long time? And so the liaison left the fortress, unhappy to carry out the news of fallen caravan to the queen of dwarves.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2011, 04:39:49 am »

You cremate your dorfs?

Man, if only there was some sort of Roman Empire mod, or something.

No, just coffins. On a huuuuuuuge graveyard...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5