Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Manormatch, the construction of new capitol  (Read 5865 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Manormatch, the construction of new capitol
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 01:45:19 am »

Thanks!  It's cool that I'm married, I really hope I don't die quickly, that's why I chose to be an archer. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 01:52:01 am »

There shouldn't be much worries about dying by the hands of goblins as our entrance is very well protected.  :P

You also have a daughter, Eral Mansiongoals...
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 02:37:05 am »

*ROFL*
Dorf me as Gar, Jeweler. I'll be making gem windows for temples and noble manors.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 02:49:57 am »

The siege "Onslaught of Gales"

Right after the forming of military the real test begun in form of goblin siege.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At first it was considered to pull everybody to safety, including the soldiers, but as there were no archers in the invading force there was no direct threat for dwarven archers and thus the were ordered to defend the entrance. What made everything more interesting was the fact that the goblins were commanded by their general, who surprisingly wasn't carrying any weapons.

The elven caravan reach the fortress before the shut down and so it was time to kill some goblins. Unfortunately one of the peasants wasn't as lucky, being outside during the siege and never reaching the safety. The poor dwarf was slain by goblins.

The battle was huge success as the invading force was slain to oblivion by the traps and archers. Only one dwarf fell, the poor bastard who happened to be outside at the wrong moment.

During the battle Fingerbells and Wypie were both able to kill one goblin, otherwise the lethal wounds were caused by the traps. Notable fact was that the leader of the siege, Ozud Leopardevil, was killed by Wypie. The promises made in the recruitment announcement weren't lies, after all, as Wypie immediately became the hero of the fortress.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 02:53:47 am »

*ROFL*
That artifact inspires me to write a short story related the battle. It will explain a few things as I changed the dwarves to be able to use fallen enemies as food/crafting material...

Dorf me as Gar, Jeweler. I'll be making gem windows for temples and noble manors.

Sure thing!

Spoiler: Gar Paddlelocks (click to show/hide)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 03:45:15 am »

The Sock Rush

Dwares are a strange creature. In one side they are very carefully folk, fleeing due slightest hint of danger, abandoning everything they were doing at the moment. The carefulness is at times taken even in the furthest extremity as they may flee even though there weren't actually any threat, for example when they see a creature they consider dangerous in distance, even if the creature can't actually reach them. On the other side when they decide something nothing gets between them and their goal. Socks are good example of this. If a dwarf learns about free, unclaimed sock somewhere near them they don't care about the dangers when they try to reach that sock. This form of behavior has been known as Sock Rush. Humans are also known for something like this, though for them the triggering is usually a valuable metal. Gold Rush is commonly known type of event among human societies, and Sock Rush can be considered as dwarven equivalent. The following event gives a good example of what Sock Rush means for dwarves.

After the siege had ended the news of victory spread across the citizens of Manormatch. But there was also another rumor spreading around, faster than any non-dwarf could believe. The rumor, which was in fact a truth, claimed that there was a free pair of pig tail fiber socks outside the fortress, the previous owner being dead due the goblin attack.

The archers were returning from the battlefield when the earth begun shaking. At first they thought it was an earthquake but no, the shaking and rumbling was caused by one hundred and forty dwarves rushing towards the entrance, racing for the free pair of socks. The Sock Rush had begun once again.

While rushing onward the dwarves were shouting only one word; Sock! Unfortunately nobody had given a thought about the field of traps, especially the iron spikes installed there. And nobody had remembered to inform the lonely dwarf who was pulling the lever controlling the spikes again and again about the rush, resulting total chaos when the first dwarves reached the spikes. One dwarf was impaled immediately, four more being wounded seriously though still dragging themselves forward, towards the socks. The dwarves behind the unlucky bastards weren't slowing down, instead they stopped shouting the word sock and begun shouting "Stop the spikes! Stop the spikes!"

All four wounded dwarves were dragged to hospital by the archers and only dwarf actually interested in healing them was the chief doctor Tomerains. Everybody else were fighting for socks and other pieces of clothing scattered around the entrance.

The doctor fought hard to keep all four injured dwarves among the living, and eventually he got help from other dwarves who had returned from the battlefield, some of them happy due getting new pieces of cloth, others unhappy due the failure of doing so. Fortunately Tomerains were skilled enough and no further deaths occurred, even though the injuries were almost lethal.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 03:49:47 am »

We have also got a new mayor, jeweller Athel Teachersmiths. There is also a new artifact created through possession.
Spoiler: Enterscholar (click to show/hide)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 04:02:42 am »

The Sock Rush
it's traditional sport game - Socker!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 04:17:41 am »

The Sock Rush
it's traditional sport game - Socker!

Totally going to sig that!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 04:49:07 am »

I didn't get any kills?

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :) :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 04:50:30 am »

Try to find the happy face. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 04:52:19 am »

Found the happy one, first row, fourth from right....  :P

So far no kills, though it will change soon as I'm going to execute all 20+ goblins in my cages. Wooden bolts are quite crap in the hands of unskilled archers against armored enemies, though the execution will be done against unarmored goblins...

EDIT: And another artifact, this time limonite bed. So going to reserve that for the queen...

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:53:50 am by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 05:10:43 am »

Breaching the Cavern
Taken from the journal of miner Wealthwheels

8th of Limestone, year 105

Our task was to dig deeper in hope for discovering new veins of iron. And so we begun our task, abandoning the smoothing of graveyard.

We managed to work only a day before we discovered something interesting; there is a huge cavern just bellow our fortress! Quickly the masons sealed the breach, though we managed to take a look at the area bellow us. We didn't saw any veins of iron but instead there were several ones of gold and nickel. There was also this huge lake down there, though I suspect it's not actually a lake but a underground sea in fact.

Our new mayor was enthusiastic about our discovery. Underground sea would mean endless supply of water, which we should be able to transport to the ground level with pumps. Perhaps we could even construct a power generator using water and waterwheels?

Despite the discovery of the cavern our task still continues. We are just diverting the route to avoid connecting our fortress to the cavern, after which we shall go deeper and deeper. Perhaps we could even find a magma sea down there? That would be awesome!

Going to leave this diary again and return to work, we have lots of digging to do before our mayor is happy.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 05:14:04 am »

Wow. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 05:37:51 am »

The Great Sea of Magma and other treasures

The miners of Manormatch were able to divert their mining plans to avoid the cavern completely, and thus the work continued. They dug deeper and deeper, passing dozens of levels, while discovering nothing except gold, tin and nickel ores. They were already getting frustrated, so deep they had dug, that one of them was already considering to abandon the project. What could they possibly find down here?

The answer for the question came sooner than they anticipated. It was Wealthwheels again who gave the answer. One moment she was mining a rock floor, next moment she was staring down to a hole leading to magma.

Quickly the miners cancelled all mining and gathered around the hole. Despite the hot fumes arising from the hole they peeked inside, only to discover huge sea of magma. But that was not all they saw; there were dozens of veins of gold and other valuable metals, alas no iron though. But even that didn't get their attention, instead their eyes fixed on the small pillar rising from the sea; a pillar of adamantine!

It was the best thing they could have dreamed while working! There it was, a pillar entirely made from the most valuable known metal in the whole universe, right bellow the fortress!

The day when adamantine was discovered became the most holiest day in Manormatch, a day that would be celebrated every year as long as there was still dwarves living in there.

Unfortunately not everything went as planned. You see, greed is part of dwarven nature. This is especially true with metals, and adamantine can and will take that greed to the extremity. Right after the adamantine was discovered the plans were made to mine that precious ore. The miners worked hard and fast, the thoughts of wealth provided by the precious metal making them ignore any personal needs.

But the rushing did come with a price. There was a small miscalculation made during the planning process, and that miscalculation caused the miners to mine too close the wall separating the vein from magma. And so the wall was torn down, and the hot red liquid begun flowing inside the vein.

The work were quickly cancelled and thus the damage was minimized. Only a small portion of the vein was flooded by magma, and only few pieces of the ore was lost under the red liquid. Unfortunately this made bigger part of the vein forbidden to prevent the flood spreading further. The mayor was angry, very angry, bu was calmed a bit when the miners assured that they would be able to get past the problematic point and thus the lower section of the pillar was reachable. But still, the whole incident caused several ores to be wasted, not something any sane dwarf would allow in any circumstances.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:12:25 am by Kipi »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5