Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have discovered that dwarves -do- know shame!  (Read 2612 times)

spaz102

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I have discovered that dwarves -do- know shame!
« on: September 12, 2011, 02:34:53 am »

Having epically failed in his duties as an untrained naked wrestler. Urist Mckindabadass dragged his dismembered and mangled body out of the battle, leaving a huge trail of blood and parts behind, all the way to my outdoor refuse pile. And then he died in it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: I have discovered that dwarves -do- know shame!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 02:37:49 am »

This is only topped by the story of the little dwarven child who was caught in a siege, was mortally wounded, and mooded in the hospital.  He went and made a stone casket.  Then he died.

I heard of another injured dwarf who made a crutch.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 02:42:12 am »

This is only topped by the story of the little dwarven child who was caught in a siege, was mortally wounded, and mooded in the hospital.  He went and made a stone casket.  Then he died.

Back in the 2D version, dwarves would regularly clutch their artifacts until dead. I had one mooded dwarf that dragged an artifact spiked obsidian sarcophagus into battle and hammered goblins with it, sending them flying across the map where they would splatter and blow apart against the first tree/wall they came upon.

I enjoyed thinking about the looks on the goblins' faces when they saw this legendary champion that beat things to flying, explody death with a stone sarcophagus.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 03:06:22 am »

Wait, really?  They hauled their artifacts around?  That's... good god, 40d had all the awesome stuff D:

S3Cs4uN 8

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels be Kobold: Too Dangerous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 03:13:21 am »

why must 40d be so awesome D:
Ala Kotraldermechebi, Hoardcounter has given birth to octuplets.

Wait What!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:26:51 am »

Back in the 2D version, dwarves would regularly clutch their artifacts until dead. I had one mooded dwarf that dragged an artifact spiked obsidian sarcophagus into battle and hammered goblins with it, sending them flying across the map where they would splatter and blow apart against the first tree/wall they came upon.

I enjoyed thinking about the looks on the goblins' faces when they saw this legendary champion that beat things to flying, explody death with a stone sarcophagus.

I hope he was laid to rest in it.  Sounds like he certainly earned it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 03:29:24 am »

Urist McCoffinSlayer cancels Rest: Too Weary.

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 03:36:22 am »

Wait, really?  They hauled their artifacts around?  That's... good god, 40d had all the awesome stuff D:

No, he said 2d version... that'd be further back to v0.23.130.23a

Artifacts in 40d were pretty much identical to how they work now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 03:41:41 am »

Oh, derp my reading comprehension.  Yeah 23a was the last 2D.  Still, lugging artifacts around sounds potentially awesome.  Or an ever-present reminder of your failure.  Urist McMigrantLyeMaker just won't put down that cedar piccolo...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 03:53:45 am »

Nist Akath had the Captain lugging his artifact around in 3D but it was quite a few patches before 40d.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 05:44:05 am »

Yea 2D had some pretty neat stuff.  Cave rivers, floods, guilds, goblin golf, necromancer attacks (so I have heard) big sprawling one z level forts...  Its too bad all those hardcoded things were removed before there procedurally generated replacements were ready.  Its really strange not being able to build walls though. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 07:36:41 am »

You CAN build walls in 2D: Out of statues.
A little bit drafty in the winter, I think.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 07:58:07 am »

Yeah, it was pretty awesome when you had a dwarf pitching a fit and lashing out with his artifact throne or whatever.  Menacing spikes and hanging rings weren't just pretty decorations at that point.  "Ow!  My leg!  Hey, that's an awesome table!  Ow!  My spleen!  Look at those engravings!  Ow!  My arm!  It's encrusted with rose quartz!"

A little bit drafty in the winter, I think.

I always figured if they could block the liquids, they could block the wind.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 09:10:31 am »

Sumthingwhatev, "Empaledpretty", a iron door.
This is an iron door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with carp leather and goblin leather. This object menaces with spikes of iron, goblin bone, elf bone, macaque bone, cat bone, and dwarf bone.
On the item is an image of Snozu Doomdoomed the goblin in goblin leather. Snozu Doomdoomed is making a plaintive gesture. The artwork relates to the mortal wounding of the goblin Snozu Doomdoomed by the dwarf Urist McFey with Empaledpretty the iron door in the early winter of 251.
On the item is an image of Ilya Treehugging the elf in elf bones. Ilya Treehugging is in the fetal position. The artwork relates to the mortal wounding of the elf Ilya Treehugging by the dwarf Urist McFey with Empaledpretty the iron door in the early spring of 252.
On the item is an image of Mistem McWrongplacewrongtime and Urist McFey in dwarf guts. Urist McFey is striking down Mistem McWrongplacewrongtime. The artwork relates to the killing of the dwarf Mistem McWrongplacewrongtime by the dwarf Urist McFey in Boozenone in 252.
On the item is an image of Failurefun the tantrum spiral in tantrum.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Garky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 12:53:08 pm »

The only problem was you literally could not get them to drop the artifacts short of wounding them too badly to carry objects. I think they would drop them after about 5 years in-game, but I usually got bored of my forts before then back in 2D. Rather frustrating to get, say, an artifact mechanism and not be able to use it in a weapon trap. Dwarven heroes clobbering people with cabinets did kinda make up for it though.
Pages: [1] 2