Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: 11th of September, 2001  (Read 5424 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
11th of September, 2001
« on: September 11, 2011, 05:19:14 pm »

Kinda surprised nobody else made this thread.  Supposedly, for everyone under the age of thirty, the day in question was supposed to be the defining event in world history for our lives, so we might as well mention the tenth anniversary.  I don't know about anyone else, but it does seem a little hard to believe that was a decade ago.

Anyone have anything they want to say?  American or otherwise, it was pretty hard to miss.  Let's try to keep this is apolitical as possible shall we?

How about this for a question: what do you remember from that day?  As everyone asks of famous events, where were you when you heard the news?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: 11th of September, 2001
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:20:54 pm »

I was in an amusement park that day. Read about it in the newspaper on the way home a day later.

Fuck, have I aged again?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 05:21:40 pm »

I was in second grade. The only thing our classmates and I noticed was that our teachers suddenly began acting very secretive, and then we all got a hastily printed note telling our parents why the school chose to send us home early. I spent most of the day with only a tenuous grasp of what was going on, being that I was 7 at the time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 05:25:53 pm »

I was also about seven, and ended up hearing about it on the news~
At the time, I was fully aware of terrorism, and really didn't understand what the big deal was~
Still kinda don't, especially seeing as it's been ten years, but whatever~

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 05:28:26 pm »

I was in fifth grade, and it apparently happened while I was in the library (it being a Tuesday, when we got to go to the library for third period). I didn't even know what happened until I got back to homeroom and all my classmates were yelling at each other over how it happened (as in, they were arguing over how many minutes passed between attacks).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 05:30:40 pm »

I was in third grade. I didn't know anything about it until a week or two later, when I passed an old newspaper talking about it.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 05:33:45 pm »

I was in Fourth Grade. I'd gotten to school earlier than usual (Edison Elementary School, Moorehead MN), and we all went outside for the time before school started. A friend told me something was up on TV. Just watched it as a class then. Fuck if I knew what was going on.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 05:34:26 pm »

I was in second grade.

Congrats.  You just made me feel old.

I was a sophomore in high school.  Since I was on the west coast, my dad had to get me out of bed to see it.  I was rather confused since I had just gotten up.

My aunt from Germany was visiting us at the time.  She refused to even look at the TV while they were talking about it (which they obviously were for weeks afterwards).

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:36:49 pm »

Third grade, knew nothing about it until the next morning (Australian, it happened while I was asleep), was talked about in school the following day.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »

Third grade, knew nothing about it until the next morning (Australian, it happened while I was asleep), was talked about in school the following day.

The first I saw of it (had no clue what it meant, of course) was when they played the footage on all stations...cutting out morning cartoons.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 05:40:46 pm »

I think that future generations are going to look at this event and be confused as to why it struck our national psyche so very deeply.  Don't get me wrong, it was a very, very horrible day.  But to consider Katrina for example, while less lethal I think it created quite a bit more overall human suffering.  But we moved on from Katrina like we do from most disasters.  We didn't move on from 9/11 like that.  At some point, you just need to accept that the grieving process is over and move on.  Imagine how confused and worried you would be if someone were still grieving their spouse 10 years after the spouse died.

Hopefully I don't sound massively offensive because I don't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with people's reaction to tragedy or the many heroic reactions this event inspired.  I just don't understand why everybody, myself included, have spent so long acting as if this tragedy is different from all others.

Edit: What I find very interesting was that a few people were slow to get the memo and treated 9/11 as a 'conventional' tragedy for a few days.  I remember my middle school history teacher gave us an interesting lecture in our next class after 9/11 on what it was like in a historical perspective and discussing some of the geopolitical issues that the likely war in Afghanistan would entail.  There were some interesting news articles about the attacks that did more then the whole america under siege stuff, actually looking at what we would normally expect.  But within a week or so, all of that stuff was gone.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:57:47 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 05:40:58 pm »

I remember a math teacher that I REALLY hated telling the class that we would remember where we were for the rest of our lives. So yes, I was in math class at the time. I actually wouldn't have remembered much of anything had he not said anything. 9/11 didn't catch me off guard like everyone else as I expected something like that to happen years before it happened.
My personality profile.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 05:44:44 pm »

Kindergarden, I thought it was the school that was getting knocked over....
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 05:46:12 pm »

I was in the school clinic getting a foot wart removed. Luckily(?) they had a television in the waiting room so I knew about it right away and continued watching when I got home.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 05:56:50 pm »

grieving process

Pretty much my thoughts exactly~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6