Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: animal fortresses?  (Read 1063 times)

TomTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
animal fortresses?
« on: September 11, 2011, 04:40:16 pm »

i'm playing adventure mode for the first time, and i'm looking for soldiers to help me. but every fortress i visit is filled with chimps, girraffes, and capybaras that want to kill me! there are no soldiers any where. is this normal?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: animal fortresses?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 04:51:04 pm »

Those fortresses are abandoned. You can take advantage of that by training on the animals, which respawn infinitely.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

GloriousImp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:20:47 pm »

How old is your world?

The best world for adventuring is usually between 150/300 years in as far as I can tell.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 07:35:00 am »

Yeah, still getting those myself. Only found two castles that were inhabited by people over, like, ten worlds. Don't know what causes that, but the world age thing is cited frequently.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 11:02:30 am »

Yeah, still getting those myself. Only found two castles that were inhabited by people over, like, ten worlds. Don't know what causes that, but the world age thing is cited frequently.
Starvation and frequent wars, as well as attacks by beasts.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:14:58 pm »

So the best way to prevent RAF (Random Abandoned Fortress) syndrome is to end world gen early?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 08:12:23 pm »

I avoid fortresses after I got my head kicked off in one shot for the grievous crime of opening the front door.

Rhinoceroses are jerks.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 08:48:18 pm »

I had the same issue 4 times with two different un-modded vanilla races.

As an elf, I went to a town to pick up some metal weapons and ammo, but found buzzards floating around. Then, I travelled to a fortress, hoping to recruit some followers, but found giraffes roaming.

Then, as a dwarf, I went to go get some soldiers, but found rhinos and lions wandering about, the latter of which bit my head off.

Finally, as a human, I went to go recruit some expedition members, but saw nothing more than groundhogs and Rhesus Macaques. The former bit my throat open.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 11:56:21 pm »

Heh, same thing happened here... Though I was happy I got to smack around some wolves and turkeys, when I tried to go to the Main building, to see if there was a lord still there, I found a lone grizzle bear. It seems such bears care not if you're superhumanly strong, agile, and a professional swordsman. Not one bit. After many wounds, and much bleeding, I "gt'd" the "fo".
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 09:28:35 am »

CUT THEIR THROATS!
BURN THEM!
EAT THEM!

Or destroy the damnable world.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.