Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Apexwhips II - Convicts at large!  (Read 5803 times)

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apexwhips II - Convicts at large!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 01:12:35 pm »

I'd like to be dorfed :D I don't care the gender/specialties.
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 02:16:34 pm »

I would want to be dorfed! I loved the old Apexwhips and I would want to see how this one turns out!

I can take the female Smith, name her Eliza. I'll PM the crime later today.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 12:12:26 pm »

--- Third Entry ---
Ugh I may never get the taste of /water/ out of my mouth.  That may be the worst torture we have to endure while living here.  I suppose I should be thankful we even have water or we would have died from thirst by now.  The surrounding forest has been cut down near the location of our cart and we have the walls mostly completed. A crude butchery and kitchen have also been fashoned from the downed logs.  Watching Loki butcher those poor beasts with just crude wood tools is a sight that will haunt my nightmares.

While sipping from the murky pool near our cart we discoverd that it contained turtles. "Damn, we didn't have to butcher those beasts after all, we could eat these!" mutterd Ralph waving at a turtle as it swam away from the shore.  "Those animals would have starved anyway." I said "Better that we have the meat leather and bones from them while they were still fat."  "About that leather, don't you need to cure it to be of any use?" asked cog.  "Oh by Armok's hairy nose!" I cried out as I ran to the butchers shop.  It was too late though, the hides were starting to fall apart and smelled terrible.  "Well, at least the bones don't rot." pointed out Loki.

I glared at Loki "Very funny, well since you are now our most experienced cook, you get to fish those turtles out of that pond." Loki looked like she might protest but then just shook her head and walked off. "Where are you going?" I asked. "To make a fishery of course." she snapped back.  "Unless you happen to now like rotten fish as well?" I briefly wondered if perhaps we could make do with six of us instead of seven but decided against it. Instead I took my frustrations out on several more trees.  I was starting to get the hang of wood cutting.

That's when the Undead Ducks attacked.
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 02:37:14 pm »

Undead ducks! They can't be that hard, can they? I can't wait for the thrilling battle between dwarves and ducks!
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Lokspear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 03:45:23 pm »

I would like to be dorfed.

My preferred profession would be a speardwarf but any thing will do.

My crime was being head of a political party that wanted to replace the Hammerer's weapon with that of a spear.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 11:33:10 am »

--- Fourth Entry ---
Or should I say that's when Oden swatted some skeletal ducks into piles of bones.  Those might have been the foulest fowl I'd ever seen but they were still just ducks.  Oden happened to be the closest when they waddled up to the wall we were working on.  She dropped the log she had and proceeded to punch them both apart.  Maybe once we have the walls finished I'll see about taking up bone carving to pass the time.

That's something none of us have really wanted to think about or talk about.  The fact that we might be stuck here for the rest of our lives.  We have very little food, no real drink, and nothing but wood and some axes to work with.  We don't even really know where we are.  Axegrind was in a fairly remote location and it's possible that its the only settlement around.  None of us is quite desperate enough to risk trying to go back there as I am sure we would get a dozen hammer blows each as punishment.  As terrible as this place is, uncertain death is still better than certain death.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 05:16:52 pm »

I'd like to be dwarfed if we have another wave. I'll take any immigrant.

Name: Fniff
Crime: Impersonating a dwarf. He is, in fact, a human con artist.
Personality: He is actually quite a nice person, and generally affable, but doesn't mind pulling a con or two if he needs money, which is basically all the time.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 05:53:45 pm »

--- Fifth Entry ---
The walls are built.  There was some discussion on what to do next.  Ultimately we decided to extend the walls to protect the path to the murky pond we have been drinking from and that Loki has been fishing turtles out of.  Loki has also been cooking up some of the meat and assorted parts from the butchered animals.  I can't say that the horse lung stew she made looks at all appetizing but I suppose it's better than starving to death. 

We had another attack from undead birds. This time it was a single undead goose. Oden was hauling a log that she had just cut over to our little store pile inside the walls when she literally tripped over the thing.  A quick swipe of her axe ended it's pitiful existence. 

Cog, Ralph and Oden have been doing most of the building while Tombs, Eden and I have been cutting wood.  Loki fishes out turtles and cleans and cooks them along with the meat from the animals.  I wish we hadn't wound up in such a barren and dead location or we could have started farming.  I'd kill for a bit of strawberry wine right now.

Now that the main walls are up, I've had Cog put together a carpenter shop, or at least as best as we can get with just wood logs.  She is working on some doors for our walls, then I'll see about having her make some beds for us.  Once the path to the pond is safe maybe we can roof over part of our shelter and get a proper place to sleep out of the rain.  Did I mention the rain?  It has been a perpetual downpour.  The very first things I had Cog make were a set of barrels to protect our precious food supplies. I swear it's so damp here even Ralph's beard is starting to mildew. 

Speaking of Ralph, I've seen him sneaking off towards the pond a few times now.  I think I know why Loki insisted we include him in our escape plans despite the fact that they had us prisoners separated by gender which meant extra risk getting him out of the men's camp.  Of course the fact that he had managed to swipe a key to the building where the carts were unloaded didn't hurt.  Hmm now that I think about it though, I wonder if Loki didn't swipe it for him just to give him an excuse to be included.  I really shouldn't be angry about it but it's just him and us six girls, possibly for the rest of our lives.  Doesn't really seem fair that Loki should have him all to herself.

--- OOC ---

I'll see what I can do about getting people matched up with free immigrants this weekend if I can.  I also really need to sit down and turn my latest batch of notes into more entries.  (No worries yet, I've got up to the 8th one done so still a fair bit of buffer with how I'm spacing them out.  8) )

Just a reminder to folks, if you want to keep some mystery for other's reading the story you may want to either PM me your 'crime' or put it behind a spoiler tag.  ;)

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 11:26:27 pm »

--- Sixth Entry ---
By Armok's Third Nipple! This is either a disaster or our salvation.  I was huling a fresh cut log to the stockpile we had set up inside our walls when I heard a shout go up from the other side of our little fortifcation.  I quickly dropped my log and ran, axe in hand, to see what the comotion was.  Through the dead forest a line of dwarves could be seen heading our way.  Were these guards finally caught up to us?  I for one was not going to go down without a fight.  As they got closer though it became clearly apparent that these were in fact not guards.  I don't think I've seen a more miserable and disheveled group in my life and when you consider our own state that's saying a lot.

The lead dwarf stumbled forward with her head down and it wasn't till she was almost upon us that she looked up and saw us.  "Oh thank the blessed gods and saviors!" she cried out joy coming into her face.  "I thought we were all going to die out here."  "Who are you? What is this?" I responded as Oden and Eden stood to my sides.  "We were to found a new fort for the glory of the Arena of Axes when it all went horribly wrong." she started. "Found a new fort? Out here in this place?" asked Oden incredulously. 

The new dwarf looked at oden and frowned. "Your here..." she said.  I dearly wanted to throttle Oden at that moment, the last thing we wanted was a bunch of overly curious dwarves on our hands. "Yes we are, but tell us what happened to you first.  Where are your supplies?" I said sending a brief glare in Oden's direction.  Hopefully she would have the sense to not interrupt again. "Our cart?  It... was..."  "We had to leave it behind." supplied another one of the group.  "Yes, we were attacked by a goblin ambush and we managed to run away while they were looting the cart." 

"Goblins!" I nearly shouted. "And you led them right to us too I'll bet." muttered Oden. "Oh no, they were much too busy with the cart and animals to follow us." the first dwarf said. By this time the rest of the group had finally all walked up.  "Aren't there supposed to be seven dwarves in a founding group for luck?" I asked doing a quick head count. "I only see six."  "Poor Urist got herself killed by them." said the second dwarf.  At this pronouncement another one of the dwarves covered her face and started to sob.  "I knew her so well." she sobbed into her hands.  Several others also showed signs of distress.  For some reason the scene struck me as a bit odd but it was hard to tell with as much on edge as I was.

I waited a bit for them to get control over themselves again and then asked them where they had started from.  There was a bit of a pause before one spoke up, "Tumbledvines" he proclaimed.  It was at that moment I took a bit closer look at our new arrivals.  The group consisted of, two more men, four women, a yak calf, cow calf and piglet.  That still left us women fighting over what we could get but at least there was some hopes for us to catch one of the two new men what with our current one already claimed.  That was when I realized I was actually planning on letting them join us.  I tried to tell myself it was the tasty looking animals that decided me but if I was to be perfectly honest it was the cute young looking man that caught my eye.

--- OOC ---

Yup, that's right. The first immigrant wave has arrived!

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 04:27:20 am »

More menfolk! Though it looks like one has already been claimed ;) I'm still reading, and still interested.

I have one request though, is it possible to keep an updated list of claimed/unclaimed/queue dwarves? The list already is a bit old.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 04:47:53 am »

Can I be dorfed as ( the next? ) a male ( maybe in a new immigrant wave ).  The details will be PMed to The Fool. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 02:20:30 pm »

Please continue this if you have the energy. I've read the original Apexwhips as well, and both are great stories.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Apexwhips II-Convicts at Large!
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 06:45:40 pm »

I'd like a dwarf. Name him Shedkubuk (means "Orderlance" in Dwarven; it sounds cool). Ideally a speardwarf with minimal civilian skills but organizational skills instead. More info for The_Fool76 in a PM.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2011, 04:16:47 pm »

Fear not I just got a bit behind on things.  I'm playing catch up this weekend so there will be more posts... soon.
I'll also update the dwarf list to add the newly claimed dwarves, and maybe the ones that ought not to be claimed. (Well not unless you like being a ghost.)

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 05:24:58 pm »

--- Seventh Entry ---
"That's a fair way from here.  The only fort nearby is Axegrind and that's a prison fort.  Where were you going?" I asked. "We were going to try our luck in the plains to the north of here. I had no idea there was a fort in this forest or we would probably gone further west.  You do seem rather close to the prison."  "If you don't like how close we are, feel free to continue on your way.  Say hi to the zombies and skeletons for us." said Loki from behind me.  I looked over my shoulder and saw that the rest of my crew had joined us as well. We outnumbered them by one dwarf but we had axes and they were unarmed.  Hopefully it wouldn't come to a fight.

"You would turn us out to die?" said one of the dwarves. At that we got a bunch of fearful and angry looks.  I sighed. "No we wouldn't but I'll be honest with you.  You aren't going to be much better here than you would be just walking onward.  We too had problems but of the undead nature.  I would rather not relive those memories so I won't go into the details of the attack.  The bottom line is that we are without supplies and have no tools except a crate of axes.  We were even forced to kill and cook the animals we had hauling our wagon." 

--- OOC ---
I have updated the list of claimed dwarves and also added the unclaimed and doomed dwarves. 
(Doomed dwarves are ones that WILL die as I'm a fair bit ahead in the game from where the story is.) 

List of claimed, free, and doomed dwarves
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 05:29:27 pm by The_Fool76 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3