Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: God's Last Hand - serious story fort  (Read 1342 times)

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
God's Last Hand - serious story fort
« on: September 11, 2011, 12:07:27 pm »

After a few more ideas and some consideration, I've decided to put aside the community interaction I originally intended for this topic. I'd rather keep full control over the fort (insomuch as one can in Dwarf Fortress) and focus on telling a serious story with it. Sorry to anyone who was misled, but please stick around and let me know if you're enjoying the writing!

Spoiler: original post (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:28:59 am by OneMoreNameless »

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: God's Last Hand ~ interactive community fort
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:08:35 pm »

1. Eye Level

Atis's pick slipped into the snow-dusted sand. The ground was too worn to offer any real resistance, even to blunted copper. A gust of wind blew the grit into his beard. Atis nearly smiled at that. If he closed his eyes, it was almost like Zugobdurad's halls again. The picks were steel there and the hollowed spires made the skies feel like home. There wasn't much of either left, now.
    Atis snorted his nose clear and caught a faint scent on the wind. Tree sap. For a second his skin remained cosily numb, then terror shot through him and he jerked his pick up to cover his face. It couldn't be elves, not this far south. They'd never had the bodies to count, he'd covered his tracks underground, in Urist's name it had been years! Or humans then, had his senses shriveled so far that a crotchface patrol could catch him? Copper chips drew blood through his leathery skin. His muscles would not fail him, or he was no dwarf.
    Snow crunched across the frozen stream. Atis turned. There was a gap at the base of an obsidian slope. Heliotrope eyes watched him through it. Atis stared back unflinchingly. The eyes suddenly widened. A moment later they were gone. It was only then that Atis realised they had been watching him from his own eye level.
    "Two cats fall down a mountain." The voice was raspy, presumptuous and familiar. Atis let out a relieved breath that hung briefly in the air.
    "Dastot, I have ten thousand buks buried half an hour outside of Zugobdurad's gates." There was no response. "Damn it, the mountain surrenders. You nearly gave me a heart attack, you bastard."
    "Ten thousand buks is kobold change, boss." Dastot slipped out from behind a frosty boulder. He wore a spider-silk dress and a sarcastic smile. "You haven't seen me since Ashrogamo, but I've kept busy. Let me show you something that'll change that attitude."
    Without waiting for answer, Dastot turned and walked away along the icebed. Atis followed a reasonable distance behind. It wasn't a long walk before Dastot began shoveling a mound of snow. Atis caught a glimpse of a rusted wheel, a camel reign, then something that made his pick finally fall to his side.
    "Fifty ashwood. Three months cut. Elven varnished." Atis shook his head to stop from guessing at the logistics of such a heist. Old habits died hard. But the only place left with so many was Alinothema itself, and ... Dastot shrugged and kicked the wagon wheel. "There's a repairman I need to kill." His eyes were dark as he said it. "You want a hideout from the humans. I have two fool helpers up the bank who've never stained a pick. One last dig in, eh boss?"
    Atis met the offer with an even face, but he didn't really have a choice.

Above the obsidian was a layer of clay, which itself gave way to the patchy loam that covered the flat landscape for miles around the river. A full blown snowstorm was under way by the time Atis reached the start of Dastot's hidden shelter. The two hired dwarves were waiting outside. One was distractedly toying with a chisel and stone, and managed to look somewhat upbeat at the sight of Dastot returning. The other carried a copper pick and crude wooden axe by his side and scowled at the sight of Atis.
    "What is this, a fucking charity house now?" The hired dwarf's beard was patchy and thin even for how young he looked. He raised his axe threateningly when he caught Atis staring. "You want to start something?"
    "You want to dig that by yourself, Sodel?" Dastot asked with the same intonation. Sodel rolled his eyes and lowered the weapon.
    "Hi, I'm Kel." The other dwarf offered a shivering hand. Atis didn't bother shaking it and Kel started stretching his fingers instead. "Always good to see another dwarf this far out."
    Dastot slipped an arm around Atis's belly. Atis held back a flinch. "Sodel, Kel, this is a-"
    "Hey, do you think I could make something from stumps buried back there?" Kel wondered. Dastot gave him a hard look. "The roots might be decayed enough to pull free."
    "Go. Sodel, dig. Atis, let's get you inside."
    The inside of the shelter was no more than a few arms-lengths across and Atis was wary to see that the space was far from empty. A dog dashed outside as he entered and three unfamiliar dwarves rested in the nearest corner. Two were female and sat with their sides touching. One with heavily curled hair gazed at Atis appraisingly while the cuter of them - if even Urist could have thought such things at this time - poured a handful of seeds back and forth between two cloth bags. A male greybeard with a braided moustache was slouched beside an open pack of medical supplies. He smiled broadly at Atis's approach.
    "A seventh. Of course. Will you still call this luck, salesman?" Dastot's fist twitched in response. It was a quick movement, relaxed after a glance at the women, but Atis was used to catching small details.
    "Friends of yours, 'salesman'?" Atis asked dryly. Dastot folded his arms.
    "Urvad and Medtob" - Dastot nodded at the curly and cute dwarves in turn - "are, hmm, relocating to Zugobdurad from a less peaceful outpost. I found them and gave them passage while gathering supplies. Alath and his mutts showed up before I was able to conceal the broken wagon."
    "Well, if you're adding another dwarf then we are simply going to have to redraw the shelter size," Urvad declared. "I kept telling you that you should have made it larger to start with. Now who's going to redo this wall?"
    "Why don't you two run along and haul some rations in for me," Dastot ordered. Urvad rose in a huff and Medtob followed her quietly. Dastot turned to Atis. "Enough introductions. We need to close this up before nightfall. The dig's a nine by nine. You can figure the rest out."
    Atis stepped up to the soft wall. Sodel had already resumed digging, thrusting his pick with bursts of strength but no technique. For a second Atis considered matching the speed, but Sodel ignored him and why bother? There was plenty of time and nothing but dirt anyway. He could have made himself enough shelter with less swings if he'd stayed by the riverbed.
   It felt strange, then, how easily he'd found himself here. He should be fleeing from humans but instead he was once more beside fellow dwarves. It was harmless, surely safer than traveling alone, but there was something about this his belly didn't like.
    Atis struck the earth.

Spoiler: dwarf skills (click to show/hide)

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:50:00 pm »

2. Inside the Snow Globe

A stinging cheek awoke Kel from sleep, but strangely his first thought was that his night had been dreamless. His eyes remained closed for a few seconds as he sifted his mind for pleasant after-images. There were none. It wasn't that it was uncommon for him lately; it was only that Kel remembered such wild and wonderful imaginings during his shifts off from hauling in Zugobdurad. They were what finally drove him upwards of the mouldy halls and into more dangerous employ. Everywhere was at war, tunnelling a few borders with stolen goods was easy buks! Stockpiles. They were still stockpiles. Now the cold days and empty nights felt like waiting, or maybe abandonment.
    Dastot slapped Kel a second time. He struggled to his feet apologetically. It was morning. There was work to do, and meetings.
    "Let me be honest with you, my dwarves." Dastot sat in the only chair in the completed shelter. Kel and the others huddled by the chilly door. "That wagon's not moving. And I'm not leaving my goods. So you all have to make a choice. You could stay with me, help a fellow dwarf protect his fair share of wood and food, keep yourselves busy until my contacts in Zugobdurad backtrack my route to find us. Or you could walk outside right now and see whether the cold or the humans get to you first. So what's it going to be?"
    Kel walked to Dastot's side. Sodel was two steps behind, though one hand had begun snarling his beard in visible frustration.
    "Medtob, we had better stay with them," Urvad said, gently nudging her forward. Medtob took a small step, shook herself, then quickly dumped her bags of seeds in with Dastot's rations.
    Alath gave a wide shrug and wandered back towards the crude beds. Atis was left standing alone. He stared down Dastot for nearly a minute before sagging slightly.
    "There's a small opening in the obsidian further along the river. If we dig there we'll have a more defensible position."

Once the digging of the stone caverns was under way, Kel's days began to pass almost as quickly as his nights. The dwarves all knew they'd be underground together for more than a night or two so the immediate urgency was replaced by a more methodical approach to protection. Atis was determined to store the entire wagon's contents inside and under constant watch, as well clear out extra space for dumping garbage and refuse that might otherwise be spotted outside. Sodel's digging was less planned - Kel noticed him tearing through random stretches of stone, muttering curses under his breath as he did so. Dastot managed to waste none of it. Kel was already sleeping in his own small chamber.
    The end result was as Dastot had promised: there was no shortage of busy work to done. Most of it was simple rubble clearing and supplies storage. Kel was able to avoid most of that, surprisingly, as it became quickly apparent he was the only one in the group with any talent at masonry; this despite picking it up as no more than a hobby a few years ago. Now he chiselled out the table in the morning that he would eat off of in the evening. Atis even requested more furniture for record keeping. It was liberating to walk downstairs and stand in the centre of a stockpile that was of his own making.
    The job of stripping the first shelter and carrying its contents through the snow into the new caverns was mostly left to Alath. He had no special talent that Dastot could profit from but his two dogs could be stationed at either entrance as warning guards. Yet he seemed happy every time another stone was pointed at for dumping. Kel stopped by Alath’s makeshift 'hospital' one afternoon while on break.
    "I'm a chief medical dwarf, Kel," Alath smiled. "We're the laziest professionals in the earth because we're happiest when our skills aren't needed. And I've admired a very fine door lately, too."
    "There must be wounded soldiers in the outposts around Zugobdurad." It wasn't meant as an accusation, only asked out of curiosity.
    "If God wills it, they will live. I ..." Had Kel imagined that look of discomfort? "... thought I needed some time away to find myself. Instead I wandered too far and found you." Another pause, then a stretch and a smile. "Oh, I'm sure it means nothing grim. I'm probably just being dragged around by my dogs' fate again."
    Kel almost thought it would be a shame if the dealers arrived for the logs too soon. Dastot had shared his intentions of turning these caverns into a permanent hideout for future missions and there were still some decorative additions Kel wanted to try out with the obsidian here.

"The snow's finally melting outside," Kel spoke into the dim clay room. Medtob's outline moved among the furrowed rows and knelt beside a tiny plump helmet spawn. "The sun is shining and the river is almost flowing. Urist would have made love to this damp hole."
    Medtob grinned unshyly and gestured the plump helmet growing upwards at a fast speed.
    "I hope so," Kel said. "I’m getting a little tired of dog food. Urvad wasn't too happy either when I asked her if last night's roast was from or for Alath's ..."
     Kel's voice trailed off as he heard footsteps behind him, but it was only Atis carrying a scratched stone tablet. Sodel waited behind him with the wooden axe out and a barely contained eager grin.
    "You're idle?" Atis asked. Kel nodded. "Good. Dastot's pack camel starved to death on top of the dining table and needs to be hauled out of the way to be butchered. Then I need you to start producing components for several collapsing stone booby traps. Do you need me to etch you the designs?"
    Kel shook his head. Technically he'd never produced a working trap in his life and all mechanisms looked the same to him, but he'd seen an old friend put some of it together once and how hard could it be? This would be an experiment! Atis left as soon as he had confirmation, looking distant. Sodel followed.
    Kel nearly forgot to wave goodbye to Medtob before stomping cheerily downstairs. His boots kicked up pebbles to an old marching tune, the good dwarves won the war. The song evoked images of danger and glory with startling clarity - then Kel blinked them away. He didn't need those dreams any more, he thought. He was digging into human territory with stolen elf wood and enough masonry to sicken any goblin. He could learn to live them.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:30:06 am by OneMoreNameless »

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:53:31 pm »

VISION for Kel!

Smoke billows out of a hole in a volcano. Fire rains from above. In the distance, you see a sleeping dwarf with a halberd in his back. No, as you approach, you realize the dwarf is not sleeping. He is dead. All at once, the body begins to twitch and convulse. Then, all at once, the body explodes into gore. When the blood mist clears, You see a goblin. The goblin charges at you. Your chest begins to melt. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! END VISION!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:05:27 pm »

I want a champion as a migrant miner. Named as Roboboy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: God's Last Hand - serious story fort
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:30:49 pm »

3. Endings

Dastot stood perfectly still at the entrance to his hide-out. Through slots in the stone he could make out much of the blasted landed that had surrendered to the river's flow. Loose sand drifted over dead pebbles and only the harshest needlegrass remained intact between the cracks. A vulture flew near, seemed to meet his gaze, then fled back to its wake. There were no dwarves outside.
    The guild were trying to intimidate him. The buyer for his logs - an underground smith by the name of Rakust - was well respected for being attentive to detail and would have known within an hour of their intended meeting that Dastot had been waylaid, and probably why. Taking deep tunnels, any of the guild's dwarves could have reached this river thrice over since then. Instead they allowed Dastot's predicament to sink in. Blood or gold was the price for failure since the wars and all Dastot's helpers could bring him was patches of rough white opal.
    It was a weak bluff. Zugobdurad needed his imports and Rakust's pettiness irritated Dastot. What price would the humans pay to discover an extra wooden harvest? Their treaty with the elves was not so strong. Yes, Dastot could out-wait his guild. Perhaps he would charge extra for the inconvenience.

The very next day Dastot's rest was interrupted by a knock on his bed chamber door. Dastot frowned and pushed the uninspired hunk of obsidian aside. His expression didn't change to see Alath standing behind it, wearing thick wool mittens over equally thick wool gloves.
    "Hey. Six dwarves were searching the riverside, so Kel let them in. Their leader, Rakust, wants to speak with you."
    "Good. Are they in the meeting room?" Alath nodded. Dastot smiled coolly and adjusted his silk attire. "Let me settle our arrangements."
    Dastot pushed past Alath and headed towards the small living area that his hide-out afforded. As he rounded the corner he could see his other helpers were already waiting in the back. His hirelings contained themselves as directed and Atis was as stony-faced as ever, but the two women might as well have shaved 'desperate' into their beards. Then Dastot nearly laughed as he saw Rakust's group. Their clothes were still mismatched and dirty from camouflage, hardly threatening as muscle.
    "The logs are still for sale," Dastot assured, taking a seat. "But I'm afraid-"
    "I don't care about the logs," Rakust cut in. Surprised, Dastot examined the smith's smeared face. Dastot’s lying skill was rusty of late, yes, but he knew how to spot one. Rakust wasn't even trying to lie.
    "Zugobdurad is destroyed."
    Dastot stared.
    "Elves brought their armies and worse, druids with magic that quaked the earth and pushed everything to the surface, collapsed it all together and buried it again and the screaming, Urist shame me, the screaming of the children!" Rakust took a deep breath and blinked away tears. "I don't know how many of us survived, I just dug out and ran. We tried to reclaim - I swear I tried to be the good dwarf - but there were just too many and you could never see them until it was too late. We just ... I ..."
    Dastot opened his mouth but the words were already gone and the world was moving around him. Dwarves stumbled around the meeting hall jobless or misplaced. Tame animals snuffled for scraps under tables then a second later screeched from a deeper room then another passed and processed tallow was being carried into stockpiles. Medtob had bags of seeds tied around her waist as she firmly clasped the wrists of dirty dwarves, leading them upstairs and away. Smells of burning meat spun around him and pressed against faint miasma.
    This was ...
    Alath walking straight-backed with a determined expression, Rakust with a pick behind him. The sounds of clean rushing water. Blocks and rope blurring down a new passage. Air stinging with drifting ash. Lye. Soap. Sleeping in clean beds with scratched-out names.
    Everything had ...
    The ground rumbling as stone was struck and rolled into new workshops. Kel - but not Kel, a body without his eager eyes - handing out chisels and demonstrating a swing. A cabinet falling to the ground, a burst of clothing, then up and behind a closed door. A line of stone pots. A slosh of fresh ale, evaporating on touch. Bitterness.
    He didn't work his way to the top for nothing. Whispered defiance that sunk limply through his beard. Disjointed from its body, Urvad's hand struck his face. His mind struggled to feel the impact. Bouncing hair and flapping lips in front of him, fingers tapped as if checking off a list. A word dimly piercing his consciousness. Logs. Logs? They were taking his - she was gone.
    A stone tablet knocked, shattering, Atis leaning backwards from a hurricane of words, reluctant, grim, a flash of a building design and a long tired glance meeting his and gone. Kel carrying a mechanism and a blunt stone, Sodel with gnarled roots, a meeting in entrance, laughing, shattering, obsidian shards clutched and thrust, a drop of blood, Kel nodding, returning, gone. Everything gone.
    Eventually, the world began empty and slow. Only two quiet voices were left digging into his ears.
    "Other survivors might follow them. Then the humans will come, they always do. Can you tell me that being in their territory is safe?"
    "Our best chance is still to fortify what we already have. If the humans launch an offensive now there might not be a dwarven territory in a month."
    "No." The hide-out coalesced before him. His throat was dry and the air chilled him, but he understood now. Urvad and Atis stared from the other side of the room as Dastot slowly rose.
    "No. The dwarven territory starts here."

Spoiler: migrants (click to show/hide)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:26:25 pm »

Nice work!

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:34:57 pm »

4. Stoking the Flames

Sodel had never seen Zugobdurad's grand halls, nor its famous spires. He'd been born in some stupid swamp retreat away from all that, to parents long since rotten. He had only the faintest memories of his first years. There was a toy axe, he thought, and baths of tuber beer. Then darkness and a tomb of cloth as goblin snatchers took him away. It might as well have been forever he was captive in that dark stronghold. Long enough to fully grow without ever feeling the caress of the earth on grubby hands. Long enough to watch, in glimpses from the top of the tower, hills crumble and a forest surround them. Long enough to realise that only scant miles away the elf queen herself slept. The goblins were nearly mindless, wild beasts that Sodel could endure day to day. But the elves trained with nonlethal weapons and planted seeds with knowing eyes. Each fortnight at sunrise they came to scout the stronghold and every single time Sodel burned as they slipped away.
    So he'd escaped on his own. Cut off his beard, soaked himself in the blood of a blendec-mauled goblin and ran. Dastot found him and for a few months' work had promised him the world. And now the elves acted.
    "I'll kill them," Sodel swore. He tried to pace the meeting hall but most of the new dwarves were crowding around the edges and smoothing stone to fortify it on Atis's command. Kel was blankly affixing a lever to the side of the entrance door. Only Alath was idle, no surprise. "I'll take an obsidian sword, walk into their forest and strike down every last one of them."
    "If you wish to die, my dogs would gladly accept an offering of your meat." The bastard said it as if it were a prayer. "But if you wish to return to captivity, by all means go ahead and hunt elves in their forest."
    "... damn it." Sodel checked for his axe in his belt, then carefully stepped around the weapon traps. Maybe there was still some of their precious wood outside that he hadn't culled yet.

It wasn't long before six more refugees found their way to the hide-out. The news they brought did nothing to quell the fire inside of Sodel. The elves hadn't been seen anywhere since the day they gutted the kingdom and left it to bleed. Most of the survivors had simply dug themselves deep under the earth in hiding, but there were others who had scattered and begun fortifying themselves on surface. The humans were so far slow to react. There was a rumour, one refugee said, that a couple of brave merchants and fortress guards were travelling between the new outposts to exchange vital supplies.
    Sodel slit the throats of their livestock as soon as the refugees were being shown around. The spurts of blood released him, a burst of steam on still-molten coals. Then Urvad carried the entrails away for cooking and he was left with nothing. Dastot came soon after, with plans for a underground trading depot. There needed to be a smooth slope concealed under an natural indent of the riverbed just north of the hide-out. A medium-sized cavern would suffice for merchant wares, with a second level beneath it for storing in advance whatever Dastot had to offer. A wide tunnel would connect the cave back to the production centre of the hide-out. A drawbridge over a pit could cut off access while the route wasn't in use. Or if the dealers proved particularly problematic.
    Clandestine meetings and backhanded plots. Dastot spoke as if nothing had changed. Sodel scowled as he struck away the stone.
    The digging was slow and tedious. There were still only two picks in the hide-out and Atis was unwilling to trust another dwarf with his while he was eating or on break. Sodel was left digging alone for much of the time. He didn't complain. The depot itself was constructed only barely in time for the arrival of the heralded traders.
    There were only four in total: two merchants with camels and two armoured guards. All of them looked on edge and hurried inside the moment the depot was finished. As they began unloading their supplies, Kel carried up several full bins of finished goods to meet them.
    "We heard you were coming, so I crafted some mugs to help the outposts without a steady booze supply. Then some figurines to remember the fallen fortress. And some instruments to keep the mood up. Oh, and toys for the poor children without a home. Um, and earrings." There was a spark of energy behind Kel's downturned eyes. Sodel recognised it from fellow captives in the goblin stronghold, the few who never quite stopped resisting.
    "Yes, yes, let me do the talking," Dastot interrupted. Kel moved aside and Dastot got down to business. Sodel expected arguments, or haggling at least, but instead the merchants came quickly to a relieved agreement. They would take all of the obsidian goods to distribute across the other outposts. In return Dastot would be left with an anvil, two bins of leather, some small food supplies, three decorative well-crafted picks and a sly grin that only shifted when the guards looked his way.
    "We are stable, but any salvaged metals or fuel would be greatly appreciated here," Dastot pressed as the merchants began to reload their animals.
    "We'll see what we can find," the lead merchant promised. "The other outposts we've passed are not so subtle; weapons, armour, backpacks and especially ammunition would be worth your while 'procuring', fellow dwarf."
    "My dwarves don't need them, friend," Dastot promised meaningful. Sodel turned his gaze away and left the depot, then.

Before long there was more work to be done. With large enough stores of food and drink prepared, Urvad had taken to bossing around the newer dwarves into doing jobs for her. Whenever Sodel was idle she came after him too. He was beginning to feel a grudge against her and suspected he wasn't the only one - Dastot and that smith, Rakust, shared Sodel’s scowls at her sight. At least the designs were for the best: a larger meeting hall and statue garden underneath the main hide-out, a thin but wide dedicated dining room with quick stair access to food, and a series of hallways and rooms large enough to comfortably hold well over twice as many dwarves as currently hid here.
    The digging was surprisingly fast this time. Most of the miners were unskilled, but the branching design left no pick unused and some of the rooms were still walled by loam or clay. Sodel stayed upstairs and cut beds from Dastot's logs. On his seventh or eighth attempt he realised with a rush that he had produced a masterpiece. Years of cold floors and cages, and still he had made this! Sodel put his tools aside, hefted the bed on his back and slowly carried it towards his new bedroom.
    Medtob must have been out of seeds again, because there was already an engraved mural on his wall when he entered the chamber. Two trees, doors, chipmunks, bolts and a bed. Sodel didn't really get it. He supposed they were well-designed. The bed fit nicely in the centre of the room beside a cabinet and coffer.
    Sodel was suddenly struck with the realisation that right now he was as close to ecstatic as he had ever felt. It startled him. How? The curt but friendly talks with Atis or even Alath for a common cause? The rock statues arranged above him, symbols of a freedom to continue mining wherever the hell they wanted? The satisfaction of finally experiencing productive dwarven work? The burning was still there, always, but he noticed it less now.
    Sodel shook himself and walked back upstairs. He heard a yipping from near his workshop and noticed that somebody had pastured several newborn puppies amongst the open work stockpile. Sodel spat, reached for his axe, then stopped. There was already blood on the puppy's tail from some crowded scrap before now. No, this wasn't a sweet meet sack. This was a future war dog. And Sodel could wait for his revenge too, he thought, if it meant surviving and growing into something vicious that could reach through the land.
    Both he and the elves deserved that much.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 09:23:51 pm »

5. Uloltad Nom

The migrants were arriving in waves now. Urvad counted some twenty of them nervously making their way down the riverbed. Enough to double the hide-out's current population. There were even children struggling through the snow, shivering behind their beards and clutching worn toys to their chests. Children! It just wouldn't do.
    "You!" Urvad snapped at an idle woodcrafter whose name escaped her. "Tell the masons they need to furnish the lower chambers and quickly. Twenty more rooms with beds. All of them with stone, once the first twenty are done. Understand?"
    The woodcrafter flipped his beard up in a rude gesture but nodded and walked downstairs. Honestly, the nerve of some dwarves! Urvad pulled the lever by the entrance and watched as the doors clacked open. Within minutes she had lead the migrants one-by-one through the trapped passage and gathered them together inside.
    "We heard from a trader that you had food," the lead peasant said plaintively. "Our outpost was falling to madness from human sieges, but we know how to work, I swear. Many of us were competent in our textile industry, or we can learn anything you want."
    "It's alright. We can find jobs for you here. You're safe now." The peasant sighed with relief. Urvad pat him on the back and pointed him towards the drinks stockpile. Most of the migrants gratefully wandered off, but the peasant hesitated.
    "Seven thanks and Urist show you diamonds, but please, what may I call this outpost that has taken us in?"
    "Our name?" Urvad was momentarily taken aback. "We haven't had time to waste on-"
    "Uloltad Nom," Atis interrupted. Annoyed, Urvad eyed the empty doorway between the old meeting area and Atis's record-keeping office. But the peasant's eyes widened, then he bowed and hurried after his friends. Urvad frowned with confusion and turned demandingly to Atis.
    "Have you never heard the old dwarven songs?" Atis asked, his tone sad.
    "I can recite at least the first twelve verses of the good dwarves won the war," Urvad answered in a huff. Atis shook his head with a soft laugh. Before Urvad could speak further, Atis closed his eyes and recited from memory:

mezmeznirotad kegeth tekkud
        abod ber egen idrath
        tilatoram

nist emen stesok anamkodor
        idrath dutdastot dalnural
        ungeg gumur

durad nanoth tilat
        durad nanoth tekkud
        durad uloltad nom

"... from Oram Sarvesh, the World Furnace," Atis finished tiredly. "I suppose the original was lost with Zugobdurad." He paused. "I don't think I could stand to lose here too, Urvad."
    "Yes, well, I'm doing what I can," Urvad answered stiffly.

Months passed. They felt like months too, Urvad had gradually realised. These digs, hide-outs, caves ... they weren't for waiting anymore. There was nobody coming to save them and nowhere to go. Just thirty nine dwarves doing what they needed to survive. No, not even that, really. To live. It was still small, but it was becoming a fortress at heart. Uloltad Nom.
    Between her usual shifts in the kitchen and brewery, Urvad spent much of her time helping to establish a textile industry of her own. The clothes on their backs wouldn't last forever. She knew the basic of threshing and weaving like any sensible dwarf, but setting up large enough scale production to accommodate future migrants required the rousing of a great many idlers. Miners needed to dig out a new production square alongside their current workshops, and additional space on ground level to keep the finished goods. There were stockpiles to be made for each stage of the production process. Buildings and querns that required construction. Pig tails to be replanted. And of course, the actual jobs to be filled in when something was needed. There wasn’t yet much raw material and no dye at all to be worked with, but a test run of cloth bags went smoothly and a happy by-product was being able to add wheat flour to Urvad's list of regular cooking ingredients.
    Not every day was so busy. Urvad had nearly screamed when she heard about the first party taking place. Then she saw that it was Sodel, of all dwarves, who had started it by the statues. His dancing looked more like clumsy wrestling moves than anything else, but she could see that it was helping him relax. Atis had been right about the name; morale and mental health would be as important as good food if they intended to avoid madness themselves. They were here for the long haul, after all.
    Smaller expansions occupied the fort once textiles were available. Filling the bedrooms chambers took time. Kel's trade goods slowly stacked up underneath the depot, though Urvad noticed with concern that he had started locking the bins. Additional passages and stairs were dug throughout the fort after Alath had once become lost for nearly two days in a bustling stone dumping task.
    Leather goods were next on Urvad's checklist. They didn't often have animals to butcher, but that made it all the more important to use as much as possible from them. A single tanner's shop, leather works and stockpile were set up underneath the butchery and across from the main production hub. The bones still went to waste, but decorations with them were plain grisly and there weren't enough to make any meaningful quantity of ammunition. The natural sand and clay niggled at her too, but there was no fuel to make use of them. The rough opals, at least, Urvad made sure were finally being cut and encrusted on trade goods and furniture. One inspired dwarf even took several of the gems to craft an expensive and purely decorative hammer titled the Fields of Splattering. The children praised him as if he were a legend for it.
    But there was still more to be done. Urvad arranged for the construction of a fishery and another stockpile for it, just south of the prepared food. Raw fish would still be carried through the trapped entrance for now, but if - when, Urvad chastised herself - the humans came then it would possible to build a small safe extension to cover part of the river. It was still frozen most of the time but the fish would be a nice change of diet every so often. It was worth it. It was worth it.
    Job assignments needed to be reorganised for the long term. Poorly skilled workers were stood down to keep the best few dwarves constantly active in their fields. Some rarer jobs were given new trainees to ensure there was always someone ready to work with needed. Urvad had pressed for over a hundred changes before she was satisfied that things would run smoothly.
    Leisure! She had nearly forgotten there would need to measured rest between jobs. A playroom could be dug for the children, with bright engravings and doors to keep their pets efficiently out of the way. Then something larger for the adults ... a more tasteful art gallery to display Medtob's best engravings, creations such as the Fields of Splattering and the cutest puppy available. It took Urvad a lot of running around between dwarves and checking mechanical designs, but she even managed to facilitate a crude cooling system that drained and resprayed mist near-endlessly over one end of the room. The wood stockpile dwindled to a mere three logs now, but hadn’t been doing anyone any good just sitting there, had they?

Urvad lowered the last row of roast fish snacks into the corner of the gallery, careful not to let any slip from her aching fingers. There. It was perfect. Let's see any dwarf dare claim they're only content now! Urvad sighed and stepped back into the rolling mist, but her eyes didn't leave the prepared food. She did a few mental calculations. With a start, she realised this left the main stockpile with less prepared meals than mouths. There should be plenty of fresh plump helmets, but this wasn't some hovel. Urvad combed her fingers through her beard and quickly marched upstairs.
    She only made it to the statue hall before Alath and Medtob blocked her path.
    "Urvad," Alath said calmly, holding his arms wide in front of her. "Stop. You've done enough. Everyone is living happily and you yourself assigned other dwarves to fill in your chores. When was the last time you slept?"
    "No, you listen, get out of my way." Urvad jostled left and right several times before her dignity caught up with her. "There is work to be done and I am fully capable of doing it." Alath didn't move. Urvad glared at him. "I won't just sit around while- This fortress needs me to- I'm not going to fail these dwarves like I failed Medtob."
    Urvad regretted the words the moment they passed her beard. Medtob didn't say anything, of course. But she put one hand on her hip and pointed sternly downstairs. Urvad hung her head.
    "I'm sorry. You're right. I ... I need to rest for a while."

Urvad lay on her bed that night, staring at the ceiling. It was unsmoothed slate. She thought she could draw a picture of every bulge and chip. From the corner of her eyes she saw a rat nudge its way into and out of the chamber. An uneasy noise of hammering rumbled from two levels straight upwards. She lay still. Idle.
    No, this was silly. She clearly wasn't sleeping. Urvad swung herself back onto her legs. The large obsidian pots weren't going to fill themselves.

Spoiler: translated excerpt (click to show/hide)

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 09:37:21 pm »

6. A Trap Disarmed

There was an ill dampness spreading through the fortress. Every day it clung to Alath's robes a little stronger and clouded the surface of his ale a little more. The animals seemed to respond to it the most - there were rats scurrying frantically over every stone floor; a pet hen with a broken rib and dented eye from unprovoked fighting; Alath's own long-faithful dogs suddenly acted aggressive towards him, as if they had been war beasts their whole life. One dwarf had even been attacked by a honey badger that refused to release its bite until its skull had been shattered through its brain. The herbalist escaped without major injury.
    It wasn't only mindless animals that acted strangely. One night a strange mood had overtaken a woodcrafter, driving him to claim a workshop and bar all other entry while he frantically worked. He refused to rest or even drink until a puppy had been butchered and fresh body parts provided to him. The end result of his work was a ring spiked with ash and bone in two images of the Fields of Splattering. Then another day Medtob had grabbed Alath’s arm and pulled him towards the fortress entrance. She pointed at a trail of blood that led from the first weapon trap into the distance. Medtob traced a straight line with her finger and mimed goblin fangs.
    "I wonder how it knew to find the entrance?" The sight disturbed Alath, but he kept his tone in check. "Ah, at least we know humans rarely bother to question goblins before putting them out of their misery."
    Medtob gave Alath a surprised look and raised two fingers. Alath blinked, then spotted the second pair of older footprints in the loam. This had not been the first thwarted attack.
    It seemed to Alath, sitting idle in his empty hospital, that the walls themselves were ready to burst open and flood the fortress with some evil at the slightest touch. He had tried, briefly, to share his concerns with other dwarves but they laughed him off. They were not idle and so did not pay attention to small details or notice the symptoms or sit around going quietly mad without purpose. Urist strike him! Alath had been outside of Zugobdurad when disaster struck for the very reason that his healing talents had little place in a kingdom at war. So he, of all dwarves, had survived to find himself useless again. He knew no craft, hauled no faster than any other, there was even a better diagnostician now who could process farm goods as well as heal.
    And war was coming. Alath saw the clues, though there was much busy work being done by other dwarves that distracted them from it. A small team of engravers had begun smoothing the walls and floors of almost the entire fortress. Mechanisms and clothing were produced in large quantities for potential trade. Other dwarves scavenged what natural plants they could outside. A new wine cellar was dug and stockpiles were rearranged. All while in the corners of the fort, leather armour was being stitched together and weapon racks were constructed for distant rooms that Sodel was unusually happy to dig out.
    Alath watched from a distance as a wide passageway was dug out from the statue hall. Food, drink, tables and the spare beds from the first small rooms were all taken down it but not returned or obviously used. A thick drawbridge was constructed on the floor. A migrant mechanic at one point walked out of the passage looking confused, then jumped as the bridge slammed closed behind her. She swore and banged her head a few times against the impassable construction.
    "Is anything the matter that I can help with?" Alath asked, concerned. "Surely you can just toggle the bridge open again?
    "No, obviously not, that was the whole point of putting the only lever on the inside of the- I mean, never mind." The mechanic let out a growl and stalked upstairs. Later, Alath sought out Kel and asked him about the room.
    "It's going to be our emergency bunker," Kel explained cheerfully as he chiselled out a statue, adding details sporadically over its whole height. "You know, in case of flooding or an invasion or madness or anything. We can't be too careful! That reminds me, I need to start loading the stone-fall traps." The statue orders were left inactive as Kel hurried away.
    One day the main entrance to the fortress was walled off completely. Its traps were carefully disarmed without word and the weapons taken away.
    Did the other dwarves purposefully deceive him, or did they just not care?

"... a necessary precaution while we can afford the mason's time."
    "Let me tell you why you're not the boss any more, Atis, it's because you lost your battle. I don't plan to lose mine."
    Alath stood outside of Dastot's office, shivering. The voices coming from inside were deliberately quiet but they carried far enough.
    "The first rule is that you can never plan for everything. I've seen your mistake made a dozen times and heard as many tantrums afterwards."
    "For fifteen years my job was breaking your rules. I know my dwarves and everything they're capable of. They're not some riled peasants accustomed to ancient halls. Only the strongest survived Zugobdurad and these are the bravest of those."
    "Then they won't be bothered, and there's no cost to an extra hallway of carved stone."
    "'Carved stone'? Let's call them what they are. Coffins."
    Alath couldn't stand it any longer and meekly knocked on the new door. Dastot opened it first and gave Alath a disapproving look.
    "Another extended family of migrants have arrived," Alath reported. Dastot nodded and stroked his beard. Atis looked away.
    "Good. We should have enough spare labor now," Dastot decided. "Bring them straight to me. I have a list of other unskilled dwarves I need to speak with as well. Tell them ... Tell them I have a special job for them that is going to make them all heroes."

Spoiler: more screenshots (click to show/hide)

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 10:23:48 pm »

Abandoned due to vast popular disinterest.

Spoiler: chapter 7 notes (click to show/hide)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 10:53:16 pm »

If it's done, you should probably lock the topic.
Just sayin'.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 12:26:28 am »

Owwwwwww i thought it was pretty good.