Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Deathwatch - The Charnel Spectre (Signups/Interest Check)  (Read 9016 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Deathwatch - The Charnel Spectre (Signups/Interest Check)
« on: September 11, 2011, 12:01:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's the story of the beginning of this campaign.  After Captain Wolfe returned from his mission, the encrypted data file was passed up the command ladder until it found its way into the hands of the Deathwatch, who possessed the ancient clearance codes to access it.  The Charnel Spectre had been part of the dominion of the Yu'vath, the worst xenos empire you've never heard of.  Once Saint Drusus was finished killing them he razed their worlds to the ground and struck them from history.  Only a scant few documents remain to tell their story, and Wolfe was in unwitting possession of one of them.

The Yu'vath are bad.  Real bad.  Nobody knows much about them, but it is known that they're psykers, worship the Dark Gods, and use their malign powers to enslave their victims.  Normally they Deathwatch would just perform exterminatus, the planet's too fucked up to colonize and the Yu'vath are too dangerous a presence to just leave them sitting there next to the only marginally successful branch of the crusade (The "northern" branch is being eaten by Tyranids, the "Middle" branch hit a brick wall made of heretics right out the gate, the "Southern" branch is in a pretty good spot fighting the Tau, and the Pelegius system is right behind the front line).  But they can't just destroy the planet because there's a slight complication.

Spoiler: Behold! (click to show/hide)

Imperator Proscriptor, the Emperor's will made manifest!  This sacred engine of destruction was part of the force exterminating the Yu'vath when the planet got sucked into the warp.  It's still there, in two pieces, but nothing a few hundred techpriests can't fix.  With the Orpheus and Acheros salients failing and the Canis salient in a stalemate, an Imperator Titan could be the turning point in the crusade.  And by could be I mean will be.  Look at that fucking thing.  The enemies of the mankind might as well just kill themselves, at least then there'll be something for their families to bury.  Already reinforcements are being mustered and battle lines are being drawn.  Whatever the cost, Imperator Proscriptor must be recovered.  Then we can exterminatus.  Your kill-team is one of several chosen as support units in the Charnel Spectre campaign.  You'll be going full Scalpel of the Emperor on this one, using surgical strikes and black ops work to support the Imperial Guard invasion force.  There are two main fronts in the war.

Spoiler: Target Primus (click to show/hide)

The Imperator's body is in a major Yu'vath city which must be sieged.  The city's surrounded by a thick wall, and that's what that wall looking thing is.  Also, looking at it I realized it's a little messed up.  The city extends to the walls, there's not a huge wasteland in between the city and the walls, that would be retarded.  The brown and red lines near the bottom are the lines of battle and the camps are staging points.

Spoiler: Target Secundus (click to show/hide)

The Titan's Hellstorm Cannon somehow ended up in a mountainous valley.  The valley is clearly of some kind of significance, there are unique structures of unknown (But likely important religious or political) purpose, and the whole area is bristling with all kinds of defenses.  The cluster of stars is the cannon.  Everything else is as it is in the top map.

These maps will be updated as the campaign progresses.

What we know about the enemy:  Jack shit.  Drusus was very thorough in his scouring the Yu'vath from existence and all the Imperium knows about them comes from fragmentary documents and data files.  Imperial forces already setting up at the staging points have reported the Yu'vath are extremely tall and gangly, and shrouded in robes.  They also appear to be very few in number, with the bulk of their army composed of human slaves.  It's unknown where they got all these people, seeing as they've been in the warp so long.  They don't have much of a navy, but stealth ships have been seen in the neighboring systems, always accompanied by the disappearance of entire towns full of people overnight.  It's probable the Yu'vath are already getting back into the swing of things.  More disturbing is the presence of other elements in their armies.  Sporadic reports of daemons and even Chaos Space Marines have cropped up.  This isn't a huge surprise, as the Yu'vath are chaos worshipers, but it's still cause for alarm.

This is an unknown enemy, your presence in the campaign is as much about acquiring knowledge as killing Xenos.  Knowing is half the battle.

Information about Deathwatch as a game will be in the next post.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:27:26 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Deathwatch - The Charnel Spectre (Signups?Interest Check)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:12:41 am »

Now then, about the game itself.  Some of you may remember the last time I ran deathwatch.  It was bad.  I didn't know much about it and I didn't know how to run it.  I've got things figured out now, and I know how to keep it from turning into a series of fights.  I can't guarantee it'll last longer than any other RPG run on the forums, but I can guarantee I've already put a good amount of work and creativity into it and I don't plan on letting that go to waste.  If you've read the rogue trader book you'll know that there's really no information about the Yu'vath available.  I'm making them from scratch and not to pat myself on the back but I think they're pretty cool.

This is what I originally posted for the first Deathwatch attempt.  It explains things pretty well.

Deathwatch is the third RPG in the Warhammer 40k RPG lineup, and the one that finally brings Spess Mehrens into the mix.  Even better, you are full-on fluff marines.  Not those silly guys from the tabletop that can die to lasrifles, but the superhuman killing machines of 40k novels.  You spit acid, eat dirt, absorb the memories of your foes by eating them, laugh off concentrated volleys of gunfire, and you can rip a guy's head off with your bare hands.  As alien-hunters and slayers without peer even among your fellow Astartes, you were seconded to the Deathwatch:  An elite multi-chapter force that serves the Ordo Xenos.  As Deathwatch, you will be expected to undertake missions even the Space Marines would find ridiculous and suicidal.  Make no mistake, the enemies of mankind are savage and implacable.  You may be a massively bionic, hard-boiled terminator type, but if you underestimate your enemies you will die.  Even if you don't underestimate them, your odds of surviving are pretty slim, but even then, you can make a difference in the universe and the Emperor will be proud.

That's the basic premise of the game.  In a nutshell, you are a Deathwatch Space Marine, and you go out and give the enemies of mankind everything you've got.  That's not to say it's all combat though, you can also expect to serve as a bodyguard on diplomatic missions or investigations of xenos ruins, a rudimentary investigator if for some reason the Inquisition was unable to uncover your target, and in a warzone you'll have to deal with the other branches of the Imperial Military, some of whom will be unwilling to cooperate with those jerks in the power armor who always steal all the glory.

I'm looking for four or five people, anything in the rulebook generally goes (Although I dislike Wolf Wolfs and ULTIMAROONS you have my blessing to play them if you want).  There are also some other chapters being set up by people, namely Salamanders, Iron Hands, and Scythes of the Emperor; I'll accept them if you let me read them and they sound alright.  If you have the book you can make the character on your own time. As for the people who don't have the book, we'll set up a time to get together and I'll get you straightened out.  If you have the book feel free to join us anyway, we can have a big character creation fest.  Beforehand though you should have an idea of what you want to be, and I'll list the choices:

Spoiler: Available Chapters (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Specialties (click to show/hide)

I'm looking for four or five people.  Friday and Saturday are the best days, but I can probably do it on Sunday too if we don't go until 3 AM and Criptfeind's D&D game isn't at the same time.  If you're interested, post what times you're available and we'll figure something out.  You don't need the rulebook (And I would really rather you not buy something just to play this campaign) but it'd be nice if you knew how to play.  There are free quickstart rules available somewhere on the internet you can use to figure out the gist of it and the rest can be learned in game.  I will say nothing on the subject of acquiring PDFs of the rulebook.  The game will be played via IRC with a dicebot.  Deathwatch has a bit of a bad rap among some people for being "all combat" or "hack and slash" but that's really about the GM.  Like I said, I know how to run it the right way.

If there's anything else that needs to be said, I'll edit this post.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:24:59 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:19:05 am »

Chapter: Blood ravens.
Specialty: Techmarine.

Edit: If i need anything else ill just edit in.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:53:23 am »

Looks interesting, but sadly I can't make any of those times, except for perhaps your (American/English) Sunday, which would be Monday for me.
But, if you ever need some short-lived cameo character for comic relief, ya know who to call! :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 09:35:03 am »

You're gonna need more than that.

In case it wasn't apparent, I remember Tack got confused about this in the first Deathwatch game, this isn't a forum RPG where you put your name and info and that's all you need.  This is an actual RPG like D&D or anything else.  There is a thick and obtuse rulebook, and it costs way more than any RPG rulebook should, but all you need to actually know how to play is this PDF with quickstart rules.  Again, I'm not going to discuss or warrant the discussion of getting the book illegally on the internet in this thread.

If we absolutely have to, I'm willing to do what we did with the Dark Heresy game and run a short learning session with premade characters.  Not sure what it'll be about but we could do that if we have to.  Character creation can be done on your own if you know how, if you don't we can probably do it as a group at some point, maybe the first session.  We'll see what happens.
Shoes...

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 12:00:31 pm »

I recommend servitorbot for a good dicebot, if you run it on your own computer.

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 01:56:19 pm »

There is a thick and obtuse rulebook, and it costs way more than any RPG rulebook should.
Sounds like you disapprove of the game. Why run a campaign in it?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 02:03:49 pm »

Because having a thick, obtuse, expensive rulebook doesn't make the game bad?
Shoes...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathwatch - The Charnel Spectre (Signups/Interest Check)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:43:27 am »

Heck, I'm interested. Tuesdays would be optimal for me, Though Wednesdays I can do (Though I soubt I'd be able to stay as long then). Thursdays are also an option if we start later then 10-11PM GMT.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 10:46:36 am »

Tuesday and Thursday I probably can't do, the way my classes are set up I just don't have enough time.

Wednesday could work, I only have one class and it gets out at 3:15.
Shoes...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 10:51:10 am »

Would it be possible for you to post the session logs here? A Dark Heresy campaign run here did that, it was fun to read them. I don't know anything about the various 40k RPG's or pen-and-paper RPG's in general, but man don't I love 40k, especially now with Space Marine getting me back in the mood for all things grimdark.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 03:20:55 pm »

I'll probably post logs or at least summaries of the sessions.

My full availability chart (All times GMT-5):

Sunday:  Available all day
Monday:  Available past 4PM or so
Tuesday:  Nope
Wednesday: Available past 4PM or so
Thursday:  Nope
Friday:  All day
Saturday:  All day
Shoes...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 03:27:03 pm »

Just asking, but would I be able to play as a black shield?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 03:28:48 pm »

Yeah, that's fine.  I'm fine with stuff in Rites of Battle as long as it doesn't turn into a Mary Sue thing.
Shoes...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 03:30:15 pm »

Eh, interested.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7