Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Syndicate the FPS  (Read 12009 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just another fps.
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2011, 10:36:28 am »

What's with the empty spoiler ta... Hmm. Perhaps it's because I adblocked the ad by that spammer on these forums yesterday.

Edit: Aha. Adblock, you foolish fool.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:38:35 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2011, 01:36:20 pm »

I actually thought Fallout made the transition fairly well, plot sillyness in 3 aside. New Vegas feels very Fallout to me.

On a lark I checked Toys for Bob, they did mention in 2007 taking the Star Control idea to Activision and there was "some interest." Take that for what you will. Maybe with all the sequelitis someone will run across that and hand it to the original developers? One can only hope.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2011, 01:37:37 pm »

Activision having Star Control sounds like another bland fps, but in Spaaaaaaaaace.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2011, 04:02:52 pm »

For an alternative squad based strategy game with evil corporations that have taken over the world, there is always Fray:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/01/fever-fray-first-fray-screens-interview/

I've really liked what I've seen so far of it.

A Frozen Synapse that isn't totally obsessed with tactical purity to the point there's not enough mechanics?

Do Want.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2011, 07:34:22 pm »

For an alternative squad based strategy game with evil corporations that have taken over the world, there is always Fray:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/01/fever-fray-first-fray-screens-interview/

A Frozen Synapse that isn't totally obsessed with tactical purity to the point there's not enough mechanics?

Do Want.

>Implying Frozen Synapse lacks mechanical depth
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2011, 07:37:53 pm »

Do Want.

>Implying Frozen Synapse lacks mechanical depth

>Implying with non functioning greentext on not-4chan
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2011, 07:45:47 pm »

It has mechanical depth. Just not enough for my taste. It was a really purist game that was entirely focused on tactics. I wanted something with that level of tactics but with all the additional RPG and RTS stuff they chose not to do.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2011, 09:22:36 pm »

'Dark Messiah of might and magic'
Which is definitely on my list of good series turned FPS, although in truth it died with the small buggy mess that is Might and Magic IX. I remember my father saying that they were getting it back together with Messiah, and he took my reserved interest as a good reason to buy the game. A couple weeks later, I decided to install it, and during I tried to imagine what kind of party I might put together; looking at the ugly 3d on the box, I was expecting there would be mechanics for controling multiple party members in tight spaces. I was, however, interrupted in thought when both scanners on that computer noticed some "Pro" spyware, that had apparently infected the game. Removing it, the Messiah setup immediately said there was an error with the files; apparently the reason the spyware was 'professional' was because Ubisoft packaged it with the game. This dissapointed me extremely, but since there presumeably was a game past the spyware, I messed with it a bit and discovered the setup/launcher didn't detect quarantines if the filepaths weren't changed. The game itself was even more dissapointing than the spyware. Not just because of what it lacked from almost any other game in the series (i.e. imagination), but because what it did have only added up to about 2 minutes of interest (guided fireballs:2s, rope ~dynamics:3s, pointlessly bloodly sneak-attacks:1s, telekinesis:11s, fired ropes:4s, plot:~25s[but not for the reasons the authors intended, like most of these]; bosses:18s...).
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2011, 10:59:41 pm »

Oh. Shit. No.
DAMN YOU EA! WHY MUST YOU RAPE MY NOSTALGIC FAVORITES FOR MONEY!? WHY?!?!?!
Goddammit. Okay, allow me to count ruined games...
Deus Ex
X-com
Goldeneye
What next? Nethack?
Crap, it's hard to resist punching those jocks who actually look forward to shit like this.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 04:28:52 am »

Roller Coaster Tycoon, the FPS anyone?

Uh, wasn't RCT3 that exactly?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 04:55:42 am »

Oh. Shit. No.
DAMN YOU EA! WHY MUST YOU RAPE MY NOSTALGIC FAVORITES FOR MONEY!? WHY?!?!?!
Goddammit. Okay, allow me to count ruined games...
Deus Ex
X-com
Goldeneye
What next? Nethack?
Crap, it's hard to resist punching those jocks who actually look forward to shit like this.

Wait what?
What was so bad about goldeneye and deus ex?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 04:59:19 am »

't Is a sad day, today. But... now I want to watch the original intro again.  :D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 05:21:46 am »

Roller Coaster Tycoon, the FPS anyone?

Uh, wasn't RCT3 that exactly?
You got to shoot clowns, blow up ferris wheels and pummel angry customers with a lead pipe in RCT3? I NEED THAT GAME!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2011, 06:10:11 am »

I can't help but wonder: don't companies check online forums? can't they see there is a sizeable market (who compose most of the people who would actually recognize the names they are rebooting) who DOESN'T want clonic-fps remakes?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2011, 10:45:45 am »

I can't help but wonder: don't companies check online forums? can't they see there is a sizeable market (who compose most of the people who would actually recognize the names they are rebooting) who DOESN'T want clonic-fps remakes?

Nope.
They want the other gazzilion million people who will toss their game after playing it for a week.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9