Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Syndicate the FPS  (Read 12013 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Just another fps.
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 01:06:37 am »

I think the problem is that currently there are a lot of gaming companies that for years have been doing fps's, and now are running out of ideas (as is everyone else, hence all these damn remakes), so they get an old successful idea, but try to do with it the only thing they actually know how to do, or even more likely, they try to sell the old public onto the new fps's by latching an old name to them (which doesn't work for obvious reasons. We are not ten-year olds)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 01:32:54 am »

i really doubt it will succeed to maintain the same dark atmosphere the original had.
Well I don't know if I found it to be dark, but that's because I accept game mechanics as trumping "official" fluff.

Officially, you are trying to take over the world from all those rival corporations who stole the valuable CHIP program.

In reality, the rival corporations are remarkably passive. They don't attack. They just sit there, all of them, just waiting to be conquered by EuroCorp. Maybe it's the masses...if you raise taxes high, you could get an uprising that you then have to crush, but that's fine because you can then make more money crushing those rebellions in relatively easy territories. So if you can manipulate the people to rebel, they can't be the enemy.

What about your boss? If you lose all your Agents, he blows up your blimp and kills you. That makes things scary, kinda...sorta? But since you have no time limit, you can just hang back with the territories you already conquer to raise more money, load all your agents to bear with the most advanced technologies, start and then crush a few rebellions, and then slowly expand---the game can be hard, but it could not be grimdark, can never be grimdark, because there is nothing dark about eventual victory against no real foe to speak of. The game is just a series of missions strung together justified by corporate greed, with the territorial map just being a sideshow at best.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:36:42 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 01:38:56 am »

(for you lazy bums - Syndicate reboot is to be yet another fps)

What a shame.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 02:18:32 am »

Hello Hunam

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 02:37:01 am »

I wish the thread title were more descriptive. I wanted to see what all the fuss is about and then I see one of my favourite games from my childhood shat on.

I could actually have done without knowing about this reboot.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 06:03:31 am »

Fallout. X-Com. Syndicate.

At least they are done now, right? It's not like there are that many more classics from my youth to rape.

Although I guess it would be stupid to not fear for an Alpha Centauri Visceral Shooter at this point.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 06:40:48 am »

Fallout. X-Com. Syndicate.

At least they are done now, right? It's not like there are that many more classics from my youth to rape.

Although I guess it would be stupid to not fear for an Alpha Centauri Visceral Shooter at this point.

Everquest

Odell Down Under <-- first person would actually be sweet in a game like this to be honest

Oregon Trail <-- already was?

Solitaire

(whatever roguelike you prefer goes here)

LCS

I suppose that's all the games I can think of that would make for questionable choices to revamp into an FPS... until EA starts paying me that is.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:45:50 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 06:45:33 am »

Roller Coaster Tycoon, the FPS anyone?

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 07:51:56 am »

here's what i think should be made to make syndicate a FPS:

keep the soldier equipment
keep their management (at least allow us to switch between them)
AND FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST, WOULD SOMEONE CHANGE THE STORY?

make all that, and i believe the result would be pretty good.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 08:10:54 am »

There's still Planescape, Ur-Quan Masters, Alpha Centauri, Baldur's Gate, and all those console RPGs that have no chance of ever becoming a shooter, really.

I'd honestly say Planescape or UQM are the next on the chopping block.

I tried to come up with more examples, but realized most of them had already been ruined or made into (forgettable) FPSs. Most "reboots" are mediocre at best, and tend to be quickly forgotten.

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 08:21:59 am »

Planescape less as the game and more as the setting would make for a rather awesome 'Dark Messiah of might and magic' game. Not really a 'cutting edge shooter' like all the reboots are becomming...

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2011, 08:42:25 am »

Baldur's gate could very well become a Dragon Age 2 game if handled by the wrong company.

LCS could be transformed to a shooter, but i dont think the IP is that appealing to the big ones.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 08:47:35 am »

I wasn't saying those games would make bad shooters, simply they have not been made into a shooter yet. Any of these games could have been made into good shooters, they just won't be.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2011, 08:49:44 am »

The Sims 3: Grand Vehicle Theft

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2011, 10:06:44 am »

Call of Duty: Tetris assault
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9