Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Syndicate the FPS  (Read 12015 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just another fps.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 10:17:48 am »

Your city will be built upon the corpses of the unrighteous.

The bones of foul beasts and villanous wrongdoers will be its foundations, their flesh will power it's furnaces, and their blood will fill it's sewers and plumbing.

They said it would be impossible to build a city in the bowels of hell. You're going to prove them wrong.

SimCity 2012 - City of the Damned

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 11:29:58 am »

Honestly, I expected nothing else. The only hope these days for quality strategy games seems to be small developers and the indie folks. Everyone else is too busy whoring out whatever franchise they can get their hands on to the FPS crowd.

While I resent the assertions that an FPS is somehow an inferior style of game, THIS obviously does not do the series justice.

Certainly not intended to be a remark against FPS's, as I love shooting me some people. But instead of making a new game from the ground up with it's own story, it seems to be the new thing to take an old franchise and cram it into an FPS skin, regardless of what the game used to be.

Okay. I can get behind that. Though I still wouldn't say its impossible to change the game type without ruining the games universe.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 11:32:29 am »

The bones of foul beasts and villanous wrongdoers will be its foundations, their flesh will power it's furnaces, and their blood will fill it's sewers and plumbing.

They said it would be impossible to build a city in the bowels of hell. You're going to prove them wrong.

SimCity 2012 - City of the Damned
I'd play that.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 11:58:21 am »

Honestly, I expected nothing else. The only hope these days for quality strategy games seems to be small developers and the indie folks. Everyone else is too busy whoring out whatever franchise they can get their hands on to the FPS crowd.

While I resent the assertions that an FPS is somehow an inferior style of game, THIS obviously does not do the series justice.

Certainly not intended to be a remark against FPS's, as I love shooting me some people. But instead of making a new game from the ground up with it's own story, it seems to be the new thing to take an old franchise and cram it into an FPS skin, regardless of what the game used to be.

Okay. I can get behind that. Though I still wouldn't say its impossible to change the game type without ruining the games universe.

Yeah, I enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas, even being a fan of the original 2 games. Different format, although still RPG's. There have been plenty of first person strategy games, where you order your units/team while being in control on the ground. Something like that where you upgrade your men between missions, select their loadouts and take control of one of them during the mission and give orders to the rest. That would be interesting, but I get the feeling they're going to go with a standard FPS loaded up with a few gimmicks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 12:57:33 pm »

I kinda knew Syndicate was screwed when I heard about EA's reboot on the heels of the Xcom reboot.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 02:55:50 pm »

The syndicate "series" died when they went for graphics over gameplay with Syndicate wars.

At least they're even vaguely keeping the same setting/premise, unlike a certain other butchering of a beloved tactical game into an FPS

i really doubt it will succeed to maintain the same dark atmosphere the original had. besides, in syndicate the agents were kidnapped men who got programmed to assassinate, in here you play the good guy who goes to revenge against the syndicates. i find it dull and dumb and if this is how this development starts, i doubt we will see anything promising from this title. they should have at least made it a Hitman like game.
Wait, shouldn't they have used the Crusader franchise for that?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 03:11:52 pm »

Well, at least it won't hurt Syndicate more than its already been hurt.
Meanwhile, I found this.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 06:26:04 pm »

Dwarf Fortress- Fortress Mode
Fixed that for you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 06:45:05 pm »

Except it would be a first person shooter.

Fortress mode... as an FPS...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 07:00:08 pm »

It... it'd actually be pretty awesome to have dungeon keeper style possession in fortress mode. This theoretical FPS would have some kind of ability to sync with dwarf fortress, allowing you to dive into a next-gen graphics FPS mode at will. Perhaps only certain dwarves would able to be possessed like this, particularly the tantruming or insane ones. Bonus points if you could snap into a goblin invader or mega/forgotten beast and assault your own fortress.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 07:34:22 pm »

It... it'd actually be pretty awesome to have dungeon keeper style possession in fortress mode. This theoretical FPS would have some kind of ability to sync with dwarf fortress, allowing you to dive into a next-gen graphics FPS mode at will. Perhaps only certain dwarves would able to be possessed like this, particularly the tantruming or insane ones. Bonus points if you could snap into a goblin invader or mega/forgotten beast and assault your own fortress.

I'll get EA on the phone right away.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2011, 10:00:41 pm »

NO! DON'T LET EA GET THEIR HANDS ON DF!
... :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 10:55:02 pm »

For an alternative squad based strategy game with evil corporations that have taken over the world, there is always Fray:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/01/fever-fray-first-fray-screens-interview/

I've really liked what I've seen so far of it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:57:09 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 11:07:49 pm »

I like to think Toady is too used to his creative freedom and the knowledge that we'd much rather donate mounds than have him sacrifice it for him to sign anything that would let EA ruin DF if they made an offer.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 11:18:13 pm »

For an alternative squad based strategy game with evil corporations that have taken over the world, there is always Fray:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/01/fever-fray-first-fray-screens-interview/

I've really liked what I've seen so far of it.

"They would fill us with themselves..."

Omigosh.  Want.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9