Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: An alternative to beer  (Read 6417 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: An alternative to beer
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 02:03:53 pm »

Martinis, mixed drinks. Just experiment. You're bored because you only drink the same stuff. Try something you've heard of or seen in a movie, just for shits and giggles. Order a Mai Tai and then act flamboyantly gay, just to see with people :P

There are a couple reasons I wouldn't get hammered on red wine, but people questioning my sexuality ain't one of them. There is no more depraved drunk than a wino, it dehydrates the fuck out of you and will give you epic hang overs if you're capable of getting hung over.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:05:35 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 04:38:03 pm »

Eym frum yerkSHIRE! Da real 'artland ov Ingleand.
Ahh but tis grim up north, specially after that twat Fatchur closed da pits

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 05:39:19 pm »

I'm gonna have to jump on the pro-red wine wagon here. Since when is that girly? Red wine is the most intimidating alcoholic beverage.

People enter a room, and you slowly spin your chair to face them revealing your immaculately pressed suit and your crystal glass of red wine? That's vampire shit, right there. The ladies'll be swoonin' and the dudes will be too terrified to speak.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 10:11:24 am »

Go for Mead. What is manlier than the booze of barbarians? Taste depends on countless factors. Much variety there

Also to the Beer part. Try different brews. There are tremendous differences between them.
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 10:24:04 am »

It's an image thing.

Red wine being girly is not so much the issue. It's Tory, which can get you stabbed in certain English social circles.

Unless... you drink it from a mug/tankard. Instead of a glass. The dwarven way. Bring your own tankard, order 3 red wine, fill your own tankard with it, and growl a lot while drinking. Oh and look down on anyone drinking beer as if it's a girly drink.

And don't drink too fast ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 10:25:49 am »

Mead is made from honey.

Red wine is made from red wine grapes.

How is honey more manly than grapes?

Disclaimer: I've had plenty of red and white wine.  I've never had mead.  I know nothing of the taste and that would likely be the big factor here.

I still vote for the wine, though.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 11:13:53 am »

And beer is made from grass... No booze is made from something that can really be considered manly. It's all made from sugar.

Anyways, my only problem with mead is that it tastes absolutely miserable. That's enough for me to never recommend it to anyone, ever. Mind you, I also think honey tastes pretty bad too. Mead doesn't actually taste like honey, of course, it's terrible in all sorts of new ways. :P

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 01:34:04 pm »

Mead is made from honey.

Red wine is made from red wine grapes.

How is honey more manly than grapes?

Simple. Harvesting grapes requires hours of difficult labor under a hot sun, and huge time invested in growing your crop, requiring agriculture. This is pretty manly. Harvesting honey requires hours of difficult labor under a hot sun while being attacked by fucking bees. I'd say this is manlier still.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 01:48:25 pm »

But you have a suit that protects you from the bees. While that reduces the manliness notably, it increases the coolness factor.  Because, cool suit.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 01:58:28 pm »

Screwdriver (I think?): fill a tall glass with ice, add Vodka about 1/4th of glass, fill rest with orange juice (real squeezed one, not bottled Tampico crap). Stir a bit... delicious.

You can replace Vodka with wonderful authentic peruvian pisco (not the fake one that tastes like $#!t).

Brasilian caipirinha:
If I remember correctly, take a lime (the sour kind, not green lemons), cut it in slices,  put in glass, add some sugar, squeeze gently with a mortar (there's special wood ones for this, muddler?, alternatively just use any wooden thing, or a spoon or whatever.) Don't squeeze too hard or it will get bitter.
Add ice (somewhat crushed if you want) and Cachaça (if you can't get some, you can try Pisco or vodka, or even rum). optionally add a straw. bendy part optional.

As long as you don't add miniature umbrellas or something they can be manly. It depends on how much alcohol you add, too.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 03:00:38 pm »

The manliest drinks come with a little pink paper umbrella.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

sgt0pimienta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 08:05:23 pm »

Well, here's a list of various alcohols I know of:

Cider
Gin
Scotch
Perry
Ale
Port
Vodka
Ethanol (Probably a bad idea)
Stout
Mead
Pisco
Brandy
Cognac
Lager

Ales and Laggers aren't heavier and lighter beers?

Any ideas out of them?
By:
Bdthemag

Great, now thanks to Bay12 im going to go out and buy an old journal just to write occult information in it and pretend to be insane.[quote

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 08:43:15 pm »

namely the high carb content (trying to cut down on the gut) and lady hormones
Hate to burst your bubble on this one, but carbohydrates are not usually the immediate problem surrounding a "larger than desired" gut.
Do you get enough exercise, eat balanced meals, etc?

Also worth noting is that it's the alcohol itself that causes your body to produce more estrogen, not that any particular form contains estrogen. And, indeed, the male body, does, in fact, produce it on its own, with or without your intervention. (bluh, comma overload).  While it is possible to skew the balance via alcohol, it generally shouldn't be an issue unless you're already in the 'red', so to speak.

Note that I'm no dietician nor doctor nor whatever, so take it for what it's worth.  A little googling + fact checking serves you well.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 05:39:19 am »

Heh, a bit of quick fact checking on your part would reveal that it is the hops in beer that causes it to have a very high oestrogen content, that and the carb content and something else causes your body to produce more belly fat. Belly fat cells incidently produce oestrogen themselves.

So you end up getting hit by a triple whammy of oestrogen from the hops, belly fat, and from the break down of alcohol.

As for the exercise I do try but I am chained a desk 8 hours a day, spend 2 hours a day travelling, AND its a stressful work environment. So no, not as much exercise as I need

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 10:37:47 pm »

Yep, its the phytoestrogens in hops that act as estrogen in the human body. One of the reasons why your typical middle age American male can fill out an A or B-cup. Soybeans, nuts, legumes, whole grains all have plenty of the stuff, so depending on your diet, beer might not make much of a difference.

Red wine and bourbon also have a lot of phytoestrogens, but white wine doesn't. White wine also tends to have less sulfates. A "Brutal Hammer" variant of white wine and vodka might be the healthiest choice.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4