Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: An alternative to beer  (Read 6419 times)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An alternative to beer
« on: September 10, 2011, 04:23:50 pm »

I'm bored of beer, plus its full of carbs and oestrogen, so I'm seeking a manly alternative to beer.

Not really keen on the taste of whiskey so that's off the tables.

So far I've settled on red wine, but its still got a bit of a stigma up here of being a froo-froo drink, so buying it on a night out makes people think I'm either a poof or a Tory - the later could result in me getting stabbed...

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An alternative to beer
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 04:33:32 pm »

Well, here's a list of various alcohols I know of:

Cider
Gin
Scotch
Perry
Ale
Port
Vodka
Ethanol (Probably a bad idea)
Stout
Mead
Pisco
Brandy
Cognac
Lager

Any ideas out of them?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 04:43:20 pm »

Mead is good. Drink it before it finishes fermentation, while it's still slightly bubbly and sweet, if you want MANLY RAGE DRINK. Drink it about a year after fermentation finishes and it's gone still, been bottled, etc. if you want MANLY ELEGANCE DRINK. There's a good chance you'll have to make your own, depending on where you live and what types are available, though. This can be a notable downside.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 05:40:18 pm »

Most bars will serve cider, so if your worried about looking out of place when you order a glass of red wine, go for the cider rout. I love the stuff!

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 05:58:51 pm »

Cider and larger have the same problems as beer, namely the high carb content (trying to cut down on the gut) and lady hormones. Ciders too sugary, makes my teeth feel like they've melted.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 07:23:34 pm »

What country do you live in?

Are we talking pub or home drinking?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 07:25:23 pm »

Have you tried Bourbon instead of normal whiskey?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 09:53:32 pm »

They might be considered a bit girly, but only by losers :  Margaritas and Sours (Midori, Vodka, and Whisky are all good choices. Or you can mix and match!)

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 02:04:16 am »

Be a dwarf and mix ale and beer, tastes so god damn good.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:12:35 am »

I never liked beer and there's only a few liquors I've tried that I liked.  Personally, I favor wine.

I suppose the question is, why do you want to drink?  A lot, including what you drink and when (as well as how often) depend on that.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 03:05:59 am »

Try bourbon with ice and some water, thats how I drink it and I used to not like bourbon much. Or use a mixer like ginger ale.

I'd also suggest gin and grapefruit juice. Maybe vodka if you don't like the juniper berry smell of gin. One, its not unhealthy and two you hardly taste the liquor. The second point has the potential of being a very dangerous qualify if you are not careful.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:10:32 am by Montague »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 05:50:13 am »

Jagermeister and ice. It makes you want to kill caribou with your bare hands.

Also, I like a Vokda Cran now and again. One of the girly drinks of lesser girliness.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 10:05:15 am »

So far I've settled on red wine, but its still got a bit of a stigma up here of being a froo-froo drink, so buying it on a night out makes people think I'm either a poof or a Tory - the later could result in me getting stabbed...

Only idiots think of something as a "froo-froo" or "girly" drink. Ignore them. There are only good drinks and bad ones. Except Smirnoff Ice, seriously, fuck those douchebags that drink it.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 10:25:00 am »

Also, in what possible way is red wine a girly drink? I mean, there ARE wines I could understand people calling a girly drinks, even if its stupid, but I can't think of a single red that has any justification in falling under that banner.

Why, if I ever found a pot of gold, I'd buy bottles untold of the nectar of the vines...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 01:55:29 pm »

Where do you live?

Try different beer, if you're just bored of beer. Belgian beer are delicious.
As far as alcohol goes, vodka is manly, raki can be good, but their respective qualities depend on where you live a lot.
My first idea would search what kind of alcohol are produced locally and try them(ps : mead is delicious).
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4