Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gladiatorial Arena  (Read 665 times)

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gladiatorial Arena
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:03:04 am »

So, I was watching Spartacus and the Roguelike bell went off in my head on a particular scene where a guy gets his teeth smashed out in a gory way.

Showmanship, skill, victory, glory!
Different arenas with different stakes and rules. Different masters, rulers, with varied attitudes, want and needs. Different audiences with likes and dislikes. And, of course, the life of a gladiator. The fights, the training, the Gods, the inspiration. Desperation, lust... a story in every one of them.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Probably not the first time this has come up and certainly not the last.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Gladiatorial Arena
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:07:42 am »

A lot of players have made "arenas" where their militia fights captured, unarmed goblins for practice, killing them sometimes.  As for Dwarves fighting other Dwarves with a loyalty cascade, not sure.  Maybe only the prisoners could fight?  They would have to be put on the same level as berserk dwarves, though. 

I support. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:22:22 am »

"Welcome to the Undead Weekend Special! Please, necromancers in the crowd, no intervening."

This would give nobles something to do, methinks. Investing in fighters. Bickering and gambling. ;)
A militant dwarf with no purpose left in life could find satisfaction in the arena too, no?

Really, there's just so much potential. Sloppy "hospitals", income leading to better equipment, special equipment forged by request (something gained from crowd pleasing and "honor"?). There's just no end to it. Also deals out a nice amount of disfigured fighters, I imagine.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:24:39 am by Slax »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 11:59:49 am »

Wasn't there a thread here about just this a day or two ago?

Search function, people.

(FYI, even though RL gladiatorial arenas tended to be made for more people than DF can handle without forcing your CPU to commit seppuku, I am in favor of eventual gladiator battles. Especially for crimes. At least when your legendary weaponsmith is killed for not making 13 gold scimitars, he'll die with style.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.