Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Swords & Potions  (Read 6226 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Swords & Potions
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 02:33:57 pm »

It is fairly grindy, but I still click my mouse from time to time.

Also, I've seen it established that early on guilds are fairly useless, other than as a way to have to pay extra money (if you're into that sort of thing) or temporarily joining one to trade improvement points.

If you want to build additions to your shop, you have to be in a guild. I don't think they are usless at all. I am getting close to 25k so I'll be able to add a tailor. In the first 30 or 40 days of the game a guild may be useless, but after that you are probably expanding your shop on some level.

If you are just starting out, I'd suggest going with probably Blacksmith and Tailor. Sorcs are cool because you always have a chance to offer potions to customers, but the chance isn't great (even though it is like 20-30%, I get it maybe 1 out of 10 times).

In general I try to make sure I have a stock pile of 3 of each type of item before I go researching a new one.

If you feel fairly advanced in your research and find your crafter has nothing to do, you can always replace them with a lower level crafter. You'll still be able to build all researched recipies, albeit more slowly.

I don't know, overall, not such a bad game.

EDIT: Don't hire the thug. He is pointless for a long time.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:04:30 pm by Fikes »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 03:00:20 pm »

Yeah improvement points really help, some of those upgrades are really nice.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 04:01:39 pm »

Oh, hey...just noticed this thread. Coincidentally, I just recently deleted my account.

Sappho
I created a guild

Having a guild will be counterproductive in the beginning because of the daily guild fee, which changes the larger the guild is. Having everyone join right away is a sure way to bankrupt everyone in the guild. The benefits to being in a guild (shared thugs and convenience of trading upgrade points) probably won't be relevant for your first 100 days of gameplay.

Seriyu
no negative to offering something

Watch your shop xp/level indicator in the lower right. If it flashes red, that means you lost xp for what happened. I don't recall specifically if failing on an offer docks xp, but it might. In any case, even if it does, in the long run you can easily come out ahead by offering intelligently. The trick is just to never offer anything that has a zero chance of success.

If they're looking for a dagger, offer a main gauche or a dirk or something

More or less, but there are exceptions, like you can sometimes offer potions instead of armor, and there are cases where one handed versus two handed swords are or aren't acceptable suggestions. Also, it is possible to substitute items of other type so long as they're valid for the class. For example, if a rogue shows up asking for leather armor, you can sometimes suggest she take a dagger and she might accept. It's simply a reduced chance of success. Not ideal, but it works sometimes. Also, suggesting something of a vastly different market value can change your chances. If someone wants an 800 gold sword and you suggest a 150 gold sword, odds of success will be low even though both are swords.

When in doubt, check Item Acceptance by Class

Sappho
how do you change location?

Click on the map in your shop. However, there are shop level requirements. You won't be able to move to the city walls until level 7, I think. Also, moving up as soon as you can is not recommended. Customers appear to be somewhat rarer and more demanding in higher level areas, and there's a daily rental fee everywhere other than the outskirts. If you move to the wall right away you might find yourself paying 100 gold a day for the privilege of getting fewer customers who only want things you can't provide.

Does leveling up your craftsman improve their crafting time?

In general yes, but it's not 1 to 1. Which skills a crafter gains is random upon level up, and only some skills improve crafting speed. So leveling might or might not actually make things faster. But in general, yes.

Lightning4
sorceress seems to be one of the best to start with

Sorceress items are cheap and fast to make, and potions are suitable for giving to adventurers and make acceptable "suggest" substitutes for a lot of things.

...however, while the sorceress offers probably the safest and easiest start, she rapidly becomes somewhat gimped, for several reasons:

* There's a massive jump of level required from 10 to 20 fairly early on in her research requirements. She'll make level 10 easily then she won't be able to do any new research for a long time. Once your sorceress reaches level 10, I recommend not leveling her again until customers start asking for things she can't make. That might be a while. 50+ days, probably. At level 10 I found my sorceress was easily able to outproduce demand for her goods, and by leveling her anyway I simply increased her wages without any useful benefit from it.
 * In the middle game, once you start needing to trade upgrade points with other players, for various reasons the sorceress is in the least demand. This won't affect you for a while. But when it does, it can be annoying.
 * Most her early-game items just don't sell for very much. Yes, it's nice to reliably sell 2-3 things a day, but you sometimes need to sell that many to earn the equivalent of a single item from, a blacksmith, for example.

Not saying sorceress is bad. She gives an easy start. But she doesn't keep pace with some other crafters after day 50-100 or so.

Sappho
how much of the content of this game is only unlockable by paying for it

...well, kind of yeah. But the game is playable without paying for anything. If you want to play but won't be paying ever, I recommend saving your tokens for a skill respec if you need it eventually. Some skills are more or less useful at various stages of the game, and what works in the beginning might be useless later on.

In general, it's better to focus on a few skills at high levels rather than diversify. For example, if you suggest an item, you can't haggle. So investing in skills relevant to both suggesting and haggling is inefficient. Whereas if you make a point of always stocking everything and have high haggle skill, or if you only build things that are expensive and invest in the suggesting skill, either of those work.

More detail on skills can be found here

NRDL
don't like the game anymore, it's too boring. 

It is somewhat grindy, but it's not a bad "play five minutes once a day" kind of game. Again, I recently deleted my account, but if there's interest here, I'd consider starting up again.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:11:19 pm by LordBucket »

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 04:21:43 pm »

Having a guild will be counterproductive in the beginning because of the daily guild fee, which changes the larger the guild is. Having everyone join right away is a sure way to bankrupt everyone in the guild. The benefits to being in a guild (shared thugs and convenience of trading upgrade points) probably won't be relevant for your first 100 days of gameplay.

Yeah - what people do in the game is, basically, temp. That's what the chat is full of. People saying "1k bs for 1k tail" - they set up temporary guilds, invite you, and you give them your tailor points and they give you their blacksmith points. Then both people quit the guild.

I am kind of tired of the game but still pick it up every couple of days or so.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »

My advice for your tokens? Use them for the recipes. Especially Blacksmith and Carpenter ones. There's a good range of weapons that you can make with just those; a sword, dagger, club and staff covers the vast majority of classes you will encounter by the time you move to the wall. Fairly easy to make and light on resources, with a great price to boot.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 10:25:26 pm »

Can I get an invite to a guild? my Kongregate name is Riotman477

Can I get reinvited?

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 12:49:07 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:56:03 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 01:45:58 am »

Having a guild isn't TOO bad, though I agree that they should be at least above level 6 so it doesn't completely bankrupt them. By then you should be able to cover the cost with a good profit per day.
Currently it's in the low 100s per day, which will be worth it so long as we have people actively throwing improvement points around.
Personally I'm going to save up for either the tailor or carpenter, as they're both pretty useful for points. Carpenter the most, though I notice we already have at least one.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:47:36 am by Lightning4 »

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 11:04:50 am »

Having a guild isn't TOO bad, though I agree that they should be at least above level 6 so it doesn't completely bankrupt them. By then you should be able to cover the cost with a good profit per day.
Currently it's in the low 100s per day, which will be worth it so long as we have people actively throwing improvement points around.
Personally I'm going to save up for either the tailor or carpenter, as they're both pretty useful for points. Carpenter the most, though I notice we already have at least one.

I've got my Tailor going pretty non stop. I am on day 133, hovering around 7-10k and have a BS, Sorc, and Tailor.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 07:59:18 pm »

I have all four now with a good chunk of change to spare. Grinding new craftsmen levels is a bit of a pain, though.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

erikokimi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2011, 09:31:27 am »

can I request an invite to the guild? How to exchange the points to hire the third worker? I already got sorceress & tailor.

erikokimi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2011, 09:36:19 am »

Okay I lost the guild because I couldn't pay the daily fee. I guess I should wait a bit before trying that again. There are two super-frustrating things about this game: they're constantly trying to get you to buy "tokens" to make the game go faster a la Facebook games, and the game is tick-based so you have to wait for your days to recharge.

The people who made the game are idiots for using the token system. This isn't Facebook and while ads would be tolerable and generate income for the game designers, constantly having tokens shoved in your face is just infuriating.

But the game seems to have potential, so I'll keep at it for a while at least. If anyone else starts a guild you can invite me (my Kongregate username is meganleb), or I'll try to start mine again when I get a bit of money. It's tough to make ends meet though, at least in the beginning, since I get so few customers and the majority of them want things I don't have and can't make...

Edit: OK, I'm doing better now. I re-made the guild. If you want an invite, just send me your username.

can I get invited to your guild? My username in Kongregate is erikokimi. Thanx!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 03:25:10 pm »

I left the b12 guild because it wasn't very active. I am starting to understand a little better why people wait to join a guild.

I think the best thing to do when you start is get tailor and blacksmith, then trade your co-op points in chat to build your other workshops. When you start getting a good amount of income, join an decent sized guild. Guilds with in-active members just cost everyone money.

Also here are some things that I find sell very well, and should be researched quick:

Long swords, dirks, fur boots, gladitor helms, long gloves, maces (steel and the solider), leather armor (padded and reinforced), and priest's robes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]