Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Swords & Potions  (Read 6221 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Swords & Potions
« on: September 10, 2011, 04:45:32 am »

http://www.kongregate.com/games/EdgebeeStudios/swords-potions

I've just discovered this game on Kongregate and am fiddling around with it. Seems like it could be fun. I'm just starting out but I created a guild, Daggers of Roaring Fire (DoRF). If anyone else wants to try it out, join the guild with me and we can help each other with our shops.

The premise is that you own an item shop and you build it up over time. You hire craftsmen to make items then sell them to customers, keeping track of your employees' salaries and morale and of course your materials stock. You can also donate items to adventurers to sponsor them on their quests and get a cut of the loot if they succeed.

So far it seems promising.

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
Re: Swords & Potions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:41:52 am »

Played it for a few days so far, kinda like it.
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 05:49:56 am »

How do I join your guild? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:02:27 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:53:29 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 06:06:14 am »

Okay I lost the guild because I couldn't pay the daily fee. I guess I should wait a bit before trying that again. There are two super-frustrating things about this game: they're constantly trying to get you to buy "tokens" to make the game go faster a la Facebook games, and the game is tick-based so you have to wait for your days to recharge.

The people who made the game are idiots for using the token system. This isn't Facebook and while ads would be tolerable and generate income for the game designers, constantly having tokens shoved in your face is just infuriating.

But the game seems to have potential, so I'll keep at it for a while at least. If anyone else starts a guild you can invite me (my Kongregate username is meganleb), or I'll try to start mine again when I get a bit of money. It's tough to make ends meet though, at least in the beginning, since I get so few customers and the majority of them want things I don't have and can't make...

Edit: OK, I'm doing better now. I re-made the guild. If you want an invite, just send me your username.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:17:23 am by Sappho »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 08:21:39 am »

This is interesting enough as a more passive Recettear-esque game. Something about clicking and seeing numbers go up make me happy. Have a Sorceress and a Tailor so far.

AstralVoid is my Kongregate name, though I have rarely been above 1k gold for any period of time.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 08:25:28 am »

I got a carpenter first, then a blacksmith.  My main trouble is the fact that I don't have certain items, and those particular items are what the customers want. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 08:30:49 am »

Potions and armor tend to sell pretty well, though the lack of weaponry seems to be off-putting for some of the customers.

And I see what you mean by token reliance. It's extremely annoying, but the 100 tokens you get from starting out are nice to get some basic improvements. Around what level do you get access to thugs and burglary/etc? That's my main interest for the game, at the moment.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 09:38:43 am »

Weee this is fun. Mind sending me an invite (name is Vyrex)

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 09:45:54 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:54:46 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 11:43:26 am »

Can't believe that it requires coins for specific recipes. Blah.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 11:52:15 am »

Okay, invites have been sent to those who requested them. If I missed anyone, let me know.

Greyejoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 11:58:02 am »

Greyejoy requests an invite.
If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 12:03:39 pm »

Somehow got a tailor on the second day asking for a job, allowed it and it automatically built a room for them. Heh, wonder if I cheated somehow?

Also, these server lag spikes are getting annoying, now that more than one or two people are playing.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 03:55:58 pm »

Hey, I played this for a while, stopped though. Maybe I'll hop back in again.

EDIT: What the heck, Seriyu1 requests an invite.

Maybe seriyu1? It's not my Kongregate username because I signed up for an edgebee game before with the same name, and as such I keep forgetting my swords and potions name.

So I was basically thwarted by my past self.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:20:38 pm by Seriyu »
Pages: [1] 2 3