Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: More dwarves dying in the hospital than in battle  (Read 5503 times)

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
Re: More dwarves dying in the hospital than in battle
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 01:10:48 am »

A few short years of spamming production, and my guys are up in skill so much they can drop out masterworks on accident and I can buy entire caravans.  Which is getting awkward, as it takes them a whole season and a half to load all of their stuff.  I'm not trading away my bins.  That's my bins dammit!

yeah i generally dont trade my bins either, ever, but i'm gonna change that - trees are a fucking renewable source (*duh*) and i'd rather wait for them to grow than wait for them to grow while traders are loading their shit.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 01:19:51 am »

I'm curious what will happen if the merchants take so long to load up that another caravan arrives... time to find out!

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 01:26:54 am »

nothing - it used to happen all the time in my mass hoarding, no-military, disc/spear-trap grid fort.

they just come in like normal and start unpacking while the other guys are packing.

cue the confusing messages about merchants arriving and leaving.

but that was .18 i think - normally the same should happen but i havent had it since. i learned to let go of my stuff.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

AaronLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 03:53:21 am »

No, it'll auto-loom everything, but things in the hospital get earmarked as hospital use. and won't get loomed.

I also set mine to "auto-loom dyed thread" because my dwarves get white sutures and emerald bandages.

I tested this by flipping auto loom all thread on, and none of the thread in my stockpile was ever touched for like 2 seasons.  My guess is that autoloom is probably event based, triggered by either the creation of new thread or the acquisition of thread through trading.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 12:29:01 pm »

I'm curious what will happen if the merchants take so long to load up that another caravan arrives... time to find out!
Nothing special.  The trade depot was apperantly programmed with just about every scenario in mind.  Nothing bizarre happens when one set of traders is packing up while others are unloading. You can even have multiple traders in the depot wanting to trade at once(highest I tested personally was 4) and it will just bring up a menu asking which ones you want to trade with before you open the trade window.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 12:46:36 pm »

I've had 9 at once before, but not of the same civ.  But then again, the same civ won't be trying to trade with you two times at once anyways, even if they're trading every season then one will leave before the other arrives.  *shrug*

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 03:07:17 pm »

I always have a group of "Nurses". Their only job is to clean and feed patients and dress wounds. No hauling. No nothing. That's it. I've found that injuries that can be treated by those two skills make up around 2/3 of all hospitalized injuries.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 06:55:01 pm »

I would add suturing to that.  A ton of people just need to get a few stitches, a gauze, and go about their business.  Broken bones and rotting organs are relatively rare compared to scrapes and cuts, but dwarves will gladly go starve themselves in the hospital if a goblin looks at them too hard.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 11:10:16 pm »

Nurses can be hard to find when just producing the fort.  If you routinely disable hauling on all useful dwarves--all good masons, legendary armorsmiths etc--they will be excellent nurses--if dwarves are dying of thirst, you disable an industry for a while, and all those workers requalify into nurses.  Haulers are just too undependable/needed for useless, hard-to-micro labor to make good health care.

And yes, as girlinhat says, underground well or bust--remember a well does not need to be 1 z-level above water, it can be 10, 50, 100 z levels above the cavern lake and still be a perfectly functional well.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 11:24:39 pm »

Picking a doctor is the hardest part of labor management.  You want an altruistic dwarf with "enjoys helping others" in their personal thoughts and preferences.  Bonus points if they are spontaneous as well.  Altruistic dwarves are MUCH more likely to provide medical care, and spontaneous dwarves don't wait very long before taking a new job.  I always assign doctor labor according to altruism, not skill.  Legendary wound dresser migrant and a peasant who likes helping others?  That legendary doctor won't do any good if he's never going to actually do his job.
This is incredibly valuable advice and probably should go somewhere on the Wiki.  I've had put doctors into burrows containing nothing but the hospital and various hospital-critical stockpiles (cloth, food, crutches/splints, buckets) and watched them sit around with "No Job" while a dozen dwarves lay bleeding and starving around them.  It seems to take my Chief Medical Dwarf about 10-15 seconds to pick up a new labor while standing around in a room of sick and dying.

But leave him with access to a sock that needs storage, and he's Johnny on the spot!

Medical labors seem to have the lowest priority of any task.  I've seen a doctor clean a tile before bothering with a patient, and I've seen haulers grab all of the goblinite in the trap hall before deigning to carry a dwarf to the hospital.  If they bother grabbing them at all before the injured limps off to a private bedroom to die of starvation and thirst.

Underground wells.  Get one, or don't have a hospital.

Best to put one in or right next to the hospital, in fact.  With a small bucket stockpile next to it.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.
Pages: 1 2 [3]