Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: More dwarves dying in the hospital than in battle  (Read 5512 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: More dwarves dying in the hospital than in battle
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 11:41:27 am »

Underground wells.  Get one, or don't have a hospital.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 12:11:10 pm »

Also you can make dedicated nurse/doctor dwarves by removing all other labors but the doctorin' ones, including cleaning and hauling.  Cleaning patients is a separate job from the cleaning labor and removing all hauling from them has the docs grabbing the wounded and otherwise doing their jobs while everyone else is collecting goblin crap.

Just one won't do the trick though, you'll probably need a few of them, which may not be completely viable with smaller forts since every doctor is a dwarf that is doing absolutely nothing 90% of the year.  When you start getting really high into the population you can designate nurses too that also don't do hauling or cleaning, and just have feed wounded and cleaning patients on, to make sure the patients and prisoners stay fed and watered.

My current fortress with a population of 190 had 7 dedicated doctors and 3 dedicated nurses.  Haven't lost a single soldier after they arrived at the hospital in 5 years.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 12:44:13 pm »

I never had patients dying of hunger/thirst in my hospitals either. I just assign a couple of specialized doctors, and all my haulers also have "feed/water patients" enabled. It may not be a high priority job, but with so many dwarves having the job, the wounded will always be taken care of. All my dwarves die of are infections.

AaronLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 06:09:26 pm »

I never had patients dying of hunger/thirst in my hospitals either. I just assign a couple of specialized doctors, and all my haulers also have "feed/water patients" enabled. It may not be a high priority job, but with so many dwarves having the job, the wounded will always be taken care of. All my dwarves die of are infections.

Yeh that will work fine as long as you do have idle haulers.  My experience has been what the poster described, that all my haulers give higher priority to hauling things and they are so busy with that that they don't get chance to feed patients.  So if you don't have enough haulers that some are idle, then disabling hauling for a couple is probably the easiest solution.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 08:29:41 pm »

The problem I had with my hospital recently is not having any raw thread to treat my woodcutter who had a run-in with a kobald.  Cut him in his right hand and scrammed.

When the woodcutter was clear of the kobald he went to rest in the hospital, and treatment went normally for a minute.
Doctor cleaned him with some leapord tallow soap, etc.
Didn't have any fucking thread though so the woodcutter sat in bed until the cut eventually turned into a dent.

Which at that point I just deconstructed his bed so he would get his lazy ass up and deforest.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 11:29:19 pm »

Make sure you're actually producing thread first, and have containers in your hospital, like coffers, chests, or bags.  Dwarves should automatically stock thread in the hospital and leave it there, even if ordered to auto-loom thread.

The Balls of Steel

• Escaped Lunatic
  • That's Gneiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 06:30:21 am »

Sort of. I end up with buckets all over my hospital, or dwarves who are completely uninjured spending years in traction. I only recently had the initiative to deconstruct the traction benches.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 10:54:38 am »

Sort of. I end up with buckets all over my hospital, or dwarves who are completely uninjured spending years in traction. I only recently had the initiative to deconstruct the traction benches.
That's kind of horrifying.

Two year strapped to a table for no reason. You'll have a reason when your muscles deteriorate from the inactivity!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

AaronLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 01:51:59 am »

Make sure you're actually producing thread first, and have containers in your hospital, like coffers, chests, or bags.  Dwarves should automatically stock thread in the hospital and leave it there, even if ordered to auto-loom thread.

Seems like producing the thread automatically creats the loom order.  I think it might just be a matter of who gets to the thread first, either the person who gets the haul-to-hospital-container order, or the person who gets the loom order.  I'm just guessing though.

Also, I had a problem where I didn't realize my containers in the hospital had all filled up.  So they weren't filling the hospital with the quota of crutches/splints I had set.  So the same could happen with any other hospital stocks such as thread where the containers get filled with other stocks before someone manages to get some thread into them.  Solution of course is to build more containers in the hospital.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 02:03:48 am »

Change your auto-loom orders.  Hit "o" and "W" (capital w) to access workshop orders.  I have it set to auto-loom dyed thread.

AaronLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 02:11:16 am »

Change your auto-loom orders.  Hit "o" and "W" (capital w) to access workshop orders.  I have it set to auto-loom dyed thread.

Right, and someone could always do this temporarily until hospital stocks fill up and switch it back.  I believe after you switch it back, the autoloom won't cause existing thread to be loomed, but only new thread gets loomed.  I.e. you can build up a stockpile of thread, and then switch auto-loom back on, and there after the already stockpiled thread won't be touched by loomers who will only use newly created thread while the auto-loom order is active.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 02:27:54 am »

No, it'll auto-loom everything, but things in the hospital get earmarked as hospital use. and won't get loomed.

I also set mine to "auto-loom dyed thread" because my dwarves get white sutures and emerald bandages.

The Balls of Steel

• Escaped Lunatic
  • That's Gneiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 09:39:08 am »

That's kind of horrifying.

Two year strapped to a table for no reason. You'll have a reason when your muscles deteriorate from the inactivity!

Oddly enough, the dwarf never became rusty in any of his skills while he was laid up. That could be a bug.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 12:07:53 am »

No, it'll auto-loom everything, but things in the hospital get earmarked as hospital use. and won't get loomed.

I also set mine to "auto-loom dyed thread" because my dwarves get white sutures and emerald bandages.
Emerald? not blue! Elf!
Joking of course, green bandages is pretty awesome. Ideally they would be black.. but unless they fix the bug of no silver-barb growth, we'll have to manage.

I could only imagine the horror of a ☼Adamantine Scalpel☼ menacing with spikes of elf bone.  Which because of adamantine's weight and sharpness, if you dropped it it would cut through a person and stick halfway into the stone floor.
I want that scalpal... and I want it bad. Then I want to use it as a close-range weapon.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 12:40:12 am »

I do virtually all of my farming above-ground.  My dwarves feast on strawberry wine and are garbed in green rope reed.  Which is starting to get pricy.  I decided that for one project I'm doing, I would import most of my materials and make it a very slow process.  Well, my rope reed crafts are getting towards 600☼ each, with 3 produced per job.  A bar of platinum costs 400☼.  A few short years of spamming production, and my guys are up in skill so much they can drop out masterworks on accident and I can buy entire caravans.  Which is getting awkward, as it takes them a whole season and a half to load all of their stuff.  I'm not trading away my bins.  That's my bins dammit!

Now, as much as this seems elfish, I will admit that it's had a very strange effect on my dwarves.  They act, a little crazy.  A little less than sane.  The constant sunlight and exotic booze may have started to warp their minds.  My map is so littered with the blood of fallen badgers and macaque that the rain can't work fast enough to wash away the grime, and broken bolts litter the ground so thick that grass has trouble growing.  They bathe in sunlight and their cries can be heard echoing through the plains.

Also, [GOOD] and [EVIL] are broken on plants.  If you remove them from the raws, you can find sunberries and silver barb, or more likely buy them from a human or elf caravan.  And by "buy" I mean "kill and loot".
Pages: 1 [2] 3