Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: A quick question about the HFS  (Read 7206 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question about the HFS
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 05:41:20 am »

Read this:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84451.0

Deathgate was more of an occupational, military operation in hell ( so far ).  If you can find a way to actually CIVILIZE hell, essentially make it into a class-A suburb, this could go down in the Hall of Legends. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 05:46:10 am »

there have been many colonizations of hell, i read one a long time ago

but its the first time i've heard of someone trying to literally wall it off clean.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 06:15:39 am »

I've done it to a Cavern, i can do it to Hell!... Once i get some migrants to draft into more militia squads and crafting armor.

edit - Armok-dammit!  Just lost most of a marksdwarf squad to a !!Fun!! FB that had BOILING EXTRACT DUST.  Took a few savescums to kill it with those few casualties.  (First two times it wiped out most of all four squads).  At least it wasn't the Axedwarves
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:22:07 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 08:28:24 am »

If you're having this much trouble with elves and FB, then you're in a lot of trouble if you think you can handle any amount of HFS...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 08:28:55 am »

What will you do to the eerie glowing pits? Use them as garbage dump holes?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 08:31:41 am »

What will you do to the eerie glowing pits? Use them as garbage dump holes?

Dwarfy. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 08:48:33 am »

I put a dining room at the bottom of an eerie glowing pit. Mostly for the inevitable 300 joke. I started throwing goblin prisoners into the pit, too, of course.

One bit of advice for building in hell: if at all possible, trap one of the demons. After the initial wave is dealt with, demons spawn in "herds," like wild animals. In my experience (with only one fortress, but I can't see how it wouldn't work this way for everyone), no new herd can spawn until the last of the previous herd is killed or has wandered off the edge of the map. If you trap a demon, its herd is still "active," but it's no threat to you. I caught my demon by trapping a non-flier with bridges and artifact furniture as bait, and since then I've let my dwarves work unsupervised in hell.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 08:50:20 am »

I put a dining room at the bottom of an eerie glowing pit. Mostly for the inevitable 300 joke. I started throwing goblin prisoners into the pit, too, of course.

One bit of advice for building in hell: if at all possible, trap one of the demons. After the initial wave is dealt with, demons spawn in "herds," like wild animals. In my experience (with only one fortress, but I can't see how it wouldn't work this way for everyone), no new herd can spawn until the last of the previous herd is killed or has wandered off the edge of the map. If you trap a demon, its herd is still "active," but it's no threat to you. I caught my demon by trapping a non-flier with bridges and artifact furniture as bait, and since then I've let my dwarves work unsupervised in hell.

Brilliant. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 09:00:00 am »

Cheers itg.  Knifemurders thanks you (no, not the current Community game.  Simple coincidence in the name).  Right now I'm collecting the mined cotton candy and building stairs down the spire (RIP Fath Kosothatol for your suicide dig to see how deep i could get away with).  I'm also building what i hope might help deal with the initial wave.  I call it the Hammer of Armok and it's gonna be an x-by-x pillar (haven't decided how big, probably around 5x5) that's gonna be suspended over the spire and about 4-5 z-levels tall.  There's nothing interesting happening at the moment in the fort, just boring prep work.

One question to be sure,  it's an upright weapon trap with training spears for a danger room, yes?  Oh and how many per trap?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 09:23:50 am »

Code: [Select]
╔═╗
║√║
╠╪╣
║^║
╚╪╝
 ò
That's my danger room, every time.  The top door is locked and internal, the bottom door is normal.  Define a barracks from the stand, and it will include the upright spike, but the dwarves can't walk through the locked door.  Link spikes to lever, set /R.  Fill the spikes with 10 training spears, preferably low q but doesn't matter really.  Just make sure your soldiers are wearing full armor, including breastplate AND mail shirt.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 09:49:01 am »

i do it like this

Code: [Select]
#+####
# + ò#
#+####
#||||#
#||||#
#||||#
#||||#
######

the blank tiles are floor
# - wall
ò - lever connected to all the spear traps
| - spear traps loaded with a single training spear each (preferably low density wood though i dont ever pay attention to it)
     load em with more spears if you want a higher rate of training, but one is ok if you're not in a big hurry
+ - doors to regulate who goes in and out

make a burrow over the spear traps (4x4 in this case) and make an alert for your squads that has them defend it. no matter how much they get poked they dont move outside it unless they want food/drink etc a lot

if you station the entire squad there, run it until there's lots of them tired or thirsty etc. otherwise you can just make the order to state 5 as the minimum (in a 10 dwarf squad) so there's generally gonna be 5 dwarves training and the rest will go about their business until one of those 5 needs to take a break.

put the lever on repeat pull (or link up a repeater instead of a lever) and you're set.

round the year training en masse. and i only give my squads shields (of anything) and a weapon at the beginning since i usually dont have the leather etc. to give them more. then i add leather robes. eventually i give them helms, breastplates and high boots. i usually expand my squad numbers at this point. then i make some marksdwarves and eventually i give them full armor.

they occasionally might get light bruises but thats ok. just make sure you're paying attention so if a baby gets hauled in or a child walks in you stop the spears just in case. sometimes they get hit and leave, other times they think its funny so they stay till their heads are on sticks. i used to care, but now i just leave em to learn not to walk into spikes on their own. serves to cut down the baby/child numbers too.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 10:00:15 am »

If you're having this much trouble with elves and FB, then you're in a lot of trouble if you think you can handle any amount of HFS...

I actually don't have trouble with most FB's and elves.  I have a go-to killteam for the majority of them that wander into the caverns, that last one was just really a nasty combination.  As for the elves, they come in on Eagleback and Knifemurders is a mountain, so it's harder to deal with them (the few times they've come and touched the ground, it's been eagle drumsticks and elf bits everywhere)

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 01:05:17 pm »

If you do plan on walling off the HFS you will need a HUGE milita. And it is acculy better to have speardwarfs then axedwarvs for demons because of there size. Also it wouldent hurt to have like a quarter of it as marksdwarfs. I remember reading about one guy who did fend off the clown train but he had like over 200 soilders and off that only like 30 were spears. Yet thouse 30 got most of the kills. He also had a small ammont of marksdwarves and they did there work well. Basicly have mainly spear dwarvs with a good ammont of marksdwarves and see if you cant make an arean for your dwarves to fight in. Like have a huge ass room with pillboxes on the side a z level up so that the marksdwarves will be safe. Also have some  walls in the arena so that the dust synfroms and such wont be as deadly.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:07:16 pm by BeforeLifer »
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 01:49:38 pm »

The easiest way to deal with clowns is encasing them in obsidian.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 10:39:21 pm »

Actually, I'm just gonna drop a nice big 4x4 pillar down on them from above when they all congregate in the room i want them in.  That should thin the ranks a bit.  As for obsidian-casting, I might do that too as a backup plan.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5