Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: A quick question about the HFS  (Read 7196 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question about the HFS
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2011, 10:06:19 am »

Not a clue.  Don't think so though.  The ghosts seem mostly content to follow some of my dwarves around, particularly The Copper Relics (my go-to squad for killing stuff).  The worst they've done was possess a rookie axedwarf in their barracks and make him go beserk.  He killed one of the recruits, but an Axe Lord took him apart good and proper.

Oh, and i've nearly finished The Hammer of Armok.  Just gotta seal off the walls around it so any surviving demons cant fly out into the cavern. 

edit:  I'd just like to add that I've just passed 800 filled graves (at 805 and climbing, thanks to the backlog).  And I think I've finally dealt with the backlog of corpses left out in the sun.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:17:10 am by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 02:42:02 am »

Just wanted to share the current save for the curious.  The cotton candy spire's a little south of F3.  The mass-graves are everywhere.  Enjoy.  Oh, and the population's down to 91.  REALLY need some migrants... >.>

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4933

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 03:02:16 am »

lol are you using a tileset? shit is fucked up here, save works fine but i'm having a hard time decoding all the messed up characters.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 03:02:52 am »

Uh, yeah sorry.  It's the Ironhand 0.57 tileset.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2011, 03:16:17 am »

ok your fort, especially with the messed up tiles, is such a delightful concentration of chaos, i love it. to me it looks like literally everything's engraved, its crazy!

your reactors rock and fuck do you have lots of pages of dead people!

lookin good, keep it up - i'll probably take sneak peek and break into the hfs to see how well stuff holds atm.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:34:47 am by plynxis »
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2011, 03:46:50 am »

Assuming your average dwarf to be 12 inches thick, with a healthy belly of booze and kitten tallow roasts, then you could pile all of the corpses atop one another and reach over 100 stories tall.  The Wold Trade Center buildings were both 110 floors.

Assuming a dwarf to be 4.5 feet tall, you could lay the bodies head to toe and reach 3,600+ feet.  A mile is 5,280, and the Hoover Dam is 1,244 feet.

You could build a 3 foot deep sandbag-wall of dwarven corpses on the hoover dam.

I would like to give you this +1.  That's for everything.  +1 Internet, +1 Epic, +1 Dwarf-Score, +1 Everything.  I have no idea what you've been doing, but you've been doing it right.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2011, 03:54:15 am »

I feel humbled by your complements.  Knifemurders; 40+ years of death, tantrums and ambushes.  And ironically few deaths by blades.

I'd also like to add that that save is one of only TWO occasions in the history of the fort when i've been ahead of the corpse pile in terms of available coffins

Edit:  The hammer WORKS!.  It somehow caused magma to leak into the spire though, so i need to fix that.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:02:52 am by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 08:06:07 am »

Okay, need a bit of help - Can someone tell me why my dwarf refuses to build a set of up/down stairs directly under the one he's standing on? (it's giving me the "cannot path to x" error)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 09:14:03 am »

Okay, need a bit of help - Can someone tell me why my dwarf refuses to build a set of up/down stairs directly under the one he's standing on? (it's giving me the "cannot path to x" error)

I sort of have that same problem, but its just a dug stairway, not a built one. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 09:27:12 am »

It looks like a bug or something - It's not letting me build straight down because there's something on the ground (in this case, raw adamantine).  Much as i hate to say it, I'm gonna have to obsidian-cast the lowest current level of the spire to get down to it. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 02:41:42 pm »

You could DFHack and autodump it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 09:05:22 pm »

That's no fun!  I've already set up lever-controlled channels from the cistern and pumpstack into the hammer chamber.  They'll flow straight down into the spire and be (reasonably) stoppable once enough of either fluid is in the bottom layer (I already had the reachable layers cleared of raw adamantine with a bit of stockpiling)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 09:18:59 pm »

Do keep in mind that you don't need to cast it.  Flowing water will push the boulder aside.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2011, 09:26:30 pm »

But then I might have the problem of building down into water, which will probably have the same result (it's the lowest level I've dug into the stack so far).  The original "explorer" just channeled down to see how deep it was before the Clowns popped out, so that's why there's no staircase.  My dwarves are unreliable when it comes to pulling a lever when you tell them to.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2011, 06:09:06 am »

Right.  Water's down the bottom of the spire, and a little too deep to work in (4/7).  I have a fix for that - channeling down a 3x3 area from the level above that I'll drop magma into to create a nice little 3x3 obsidian area i can dig down through
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5