Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: A quick question about the HFS  (Read 7197 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question about the HFS
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 10:53:38 pm »

That's no fun. It's too safe.

But if it lets you finish your goal in the end, I say do it.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 11:03:43 pm »

Oh, i fully expect enough will survive to keep my militia busy, don't worry.  I have no illusions about that part being easy.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 04:46:12 am »

The best part is that it snows in the winter at my fortress.  If we're very lucky, It might actually snow down the channel to the HFS.

A snowballs chance in hell...
Haha make the hell freeze!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 04:48:17 am »

Urist McSkeptical: Civilizing the pits?  When hell freezes over.

Urist McAwesome: It might just do that, ya know. 

Urist McSkeptical: ...
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 05:41:02 am »

Must add a note on my list of "stuff to do if/when i take hell";  Wall in a little sunlit area and fill it with water to see if it'll freeze in winter.  That should screw with reality and mythology quite a bit.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2011, 09:42:43 am »

By the way, one thing you may want to remember to do: make sure a portion of the wall is actually a raising bridge, so if/when your fort falls, you can explore hell with an adventurer.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 04:25:40 am »

Right now I've got what i've dubbed "The Hammer of Armok"  under construction over the room the Clowns will have to emerge into.  I'm gonna try and get a lever-controlled floor hatch into where they'll pop out of to seal them in before i flatten them.  Progress is slow as i'm down to 101 dwarves (of which 24 are children)  and there's only two idle at the moment (I think there's a stockpiling rush, but i cant find it). 

Edit:  Knifemurders attracted no new migrants this season.  It's like they KNOW what i'm planning to do and want to be well-clear of a fortress filled with insane projects, wails of the damned echoing through the halls and 5 graveyards that're all full.  With a corpse pile on the front doorstep outside that still needs seeing to.  My guess is they don't like the clean mountain air of an independent city.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 04:54:30 am by ThatAussieGuy »

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 05:02:10 am »

With a corpse pile on the front doorstep outside that still needs seeing to.  My guess is they don't like the clean mountain air of an independent city.

kinky

suit you sir.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 05:04:37 am »

do you have a militia capable of dealing with the daemons? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 05:13:02 am »

One original squad of competent dwarves with it's two Legendary Axe Dwarves each given their own squad to train.  I'm also working on strand extraction for new armor for everyone.  I'm in need of recruits at the moment as i lost some of the squad members to !!Fun!! that i must've missed.

Edit:  Here's the current Militia, such as it is

One Legendary Spear Dwarf who's been around so long that his notable kill list can be scrolled through
Five Legendary Axe Lords, two of which have titles

The rest are a mix of novice and barely-competent axe/sworddwarves with half a squad of marksdwarves that can barely shoot straight.  All-in-all, 23 out of a potential 40 dwarves.  I'm hoping to get the Danger Room finished to improve their skills a little.

Oh and for anyone interested;  There's 783 coffins and they're ALL full.  There's also at LEAST 30 ghosts wandering around, possibly more.  Last time i shared a Knifemurders save, it scared one poor soul.  I'll share the savegame when the DF file depot's back online.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:24:09 am by ThatAussieGuy »

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 06:28:29 am »

Here's the current Militia, such as it is

One Legendary Spear Dwarf who's been around so long that his notable kill list can be scrolled through

The rest are a mix of novice and barely-competent axe/sworddwarves with half a squad of marksdwarves that can barely shoot straight.  All-in-all, 23 out of a potential 40 dwarves.  I'm hoping to get the Danger Room finished to improve their skills a little.

ok thats good, you've got at least a nice core of melee fighters. makre sure to make a big archery range. and bone bolts are cheap too, you can use those. but you probably already know all this, i dont have anything useful to add here, except good going so far.

Oh and for anyone interested;  There's 783 coffins and they're ALL full.  There's also at LEAST 30 ghosts wandering around, possibly more.  Last time i shared a Knifemurders save, it scared one poor soul.  I'll share the savegame when the DF file depot's back online.

ok WTF. &*# (number-caps).

really, wtf. those CANT be all dwarves, but i dont understand how you can have all those dead. maybe wait for the necromancy arc to be done so you can raise em >: )

seriously though, how did you fill all those coffins?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2011, 06:39:28 am »

One original squad of competent dwarves with it's two Legendary Axe Dwarves each given their own squad to train.  I'm also working on strand extraction for new armor for everyone.  I'm in need of recruits at the moment as i lost some of the squad members to !!Fun!! that i must've missed.

Edit:  Here's the current Militia, such as it is

Nice, what is their weaponry made of? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 06:50:06 am »

ok WTF. &*# (number-caps).

really, wtf. those CANT be all dwarves, but i dont understand how you can have all those dead. maybe wait for the necromancy arc to be done so you can raise em >: )

seriously though, how did you fill all those coffins?

Oh, they ARE.  Well, maybe a few... around ten in the first graveyard... are pets.  That was before i discovered you could disable that.  There was a tantrum spiral that killed half the pop... Three elf sieges with dwarves that don't understand "DON'T GO OUTSIDE WHEN THE TREEHUGGERS COME!" and various accidents and beserk dwarves.  There's a flooded passage with about 12-13 corpses (and recently; an FB) that I'll NEVER recover because of a digging accident with a cavern lake, a dozen or so that died building my megareactor (only gets 15k UristWatts at the moment... must fix that at some point...) and one poor idiot that somehow fell into the well.  The lowest settlement at the magma sea level have been drinking him for years. 

At the moment I'm building a COLOSSAL graveyard to save time on digging out smaller ones periodically (because hey, i know my fort) and in the center, surrounded by gold statutes and an adamantine floor, is an artifact coffin.  It's marked for my Legendary Speardwarf.  He's the oldest, most badass killer in the fortress and he's well and TRULY earned it.  He carries two spears, one an artifact, and an axe in one hand, and an artifact shield in the other.  He's dressed in the bones of crundles he slaughtered personally and is purely a dwarf of death. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:57:24 am by ThatAussieGuy »

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2011, 08:17:18 am »

Sadly, &*# is not a number I find surprising. I'm not sure what that means anymore.

I've a nice 16x16 graveyard almost full, and another to the east of it just in case. Other forts were of the 5x5 room variety, and I was getting bored with so many chambers. I currently have 236 drunks, so the second 256 spaces are for my beloved that fall to stupidity, magma, stupidity, FBs, or standing in a corner hoping for a beer while one is 10 paces behind her. (Translation: stupidity)

Granted, there are quite a few pets in there, but I am not going to count, and I won't stop Urist McCatLover from burying his friend. But you do remind me that I have another @%^ coffins to make.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2011, 10:00:44 am »

lol more migrants arrive in this game than i ever realised. most of my forts have few deaths so i stop getting migrants pretty soon and never even have more than 300 or so total, including the dead.

would it just rock if we had a way to take advantage of the ghosts? like discover some way to have violent murderous ghosts stationed at certain locations to scare the life out of invaders and FBs.

btw, does the artifact shield have any impact on how well he blocks? i'd assume no.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5