Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: A quick question about the HFS  (Read 7198 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
A quick question about the HFS
« on: September 10, 2011, 12:24:51 am »

Has anyone ever managed to visit the Circus and wall it off around the very outer perimeter, thereby preventing new clowns from visiting?  Thinking of a new project for my dwarves to undertake...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question about the HFS
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 12:29:16 am »

Yes, though I can't recall who right now.  It can be done, because you can wall off the underground map edges.  It's just that your progress will be counted in bodies, not in stones placed.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:32:49 am »

Yes, though I can't recall who right now.  It can be done, because you can wall off the underground map edges.  It's just that your progress will be counted in bodies, not in stones placed.

As any good dwarven project should be.  Gonna do it and turn the Circus into a pleasant little town.  Paved roads and everything. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 12:39:13 am »

Mega-points if you grow wild strawberries down tehre.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 12:58:54 am »

Why, that would require an insanely-tall channel all the way to the surface, taking years and the hard effort of the entire fortress for a relatively minor outcome with no real significance to the fortress.  I'll DO it!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 01:25:59 am »

Bring light to the world of darkness and abominations with SUNSHINE!!!

The plant and the light source. Running a successful sunshine brewing operation aside a EGP would be just great... get the clowns drunk on the stuff.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 01:30:37 am »

The best part is that it snows in the winter at my fortress.  If we're very lucky, It might actually snow down the channel to the HFS.  But that won't be for ages.  Still gotta take on the initial Clown Car (training up my militia at the moment to greet them)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:37:25 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 01:50:29 am »

You could always exploit them to death instead....  Got any nice artifact furniture?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 02:42:03 am »

Why, that would require an insanely-tall channel all the way to the surface, taking years and the hard effort of the entire fortress for a relatively minor outcome with no real significance to the fortress.  I'll DO it!
If you just plan for a one tile farm, that's not so insane. I mean, apart from  the minor detail regarding how to deal with the locals.

My previous fortress had a channel down to cavern layer 2, and it was not so far from the third cavern and the magma sea. (My goal was to evacuate miasma from a crundle stockpile, but those 3 1-tile-wide chimneys weren't very efficient. The crundle hunters, butchers and bone carvers that worked in the area were complaining a lot about miasma.)
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 03:15:42 am »

The best part is that it snows in the winter at my fortress.  If we're very lucky, It might actually snow down the channel to the HFS.

A snowballs chance in hell...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 03:30:57 am »

Sliiight setback - about a dozen elf ambushes have occurred pretty much all at once.  Hatches are battened and nothing's getting inside.  Pity about the 20-odd dwarves that went outside to loot before i figured out i left a door unlocked...

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 04:19:55 am »

Has anyone ever managed to visit the Circus and wall it off around the very outer perimeter, thereby preventing new clowns from visiting?  Thinking of a new project for my dwarves to undertake...

What? You want to wall out all the fun?
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 04:24:37 am »

I'm not just gonna wall it out;  I'm gonna make it downright CIVIL.  Dwarves will build houses, raise families and produce food.  All in the horrifying deeps with the wails of the damned all around. 

Oh, and of course; I'll put the Trade Depot down there too.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 04:33:08 am »

Ok ok. But just do me this one favor

Keep an updated head count for both sides.

The other times people attempted to colonize hell i dont remember them posting one

in any case, we need a betting pool running as your campaign progresses
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 05:04:57 am »

Willdo.  The campaign itself hasn't begun as the militia's still training and I've lost a few craftsdwarves due to the damn elves.  I did do a savescum breach to find out how deep down the actual "uh-oh" moment is.  It was surprisingly deep.  Cotton Candy armor for everyone!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5