Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32

Author Topic: Ockham's Mafia - Day 3 [NEED REPLACEMENTS]  (Read 54969 times)

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ockham's Mafia - Day 2 - [ONE REPLACE NEEDED]
« Reply #330 on: October 24, 2011, 03:50:38 pm »

Anything else about this wizard?
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 24, 2011, 03:59:25 pm »

No. All I know about him is that he is a 'strange old man', and that he sold me my ex-horse.
Long Live United Forenia!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 24, 2011, 04:53:50 pm »

I'm inclined to leave Nuke alive for now.  Lynching him doesn't really get us closer to our goal.

I need to do a reread- my case on OB is stale, and I want to see if there's a better target.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 24, 2011, 05:10:47 pm »

What if there's no particular mafia, but instead a set of lynchers set up to lynch townies?

I know that my win condition is clear town.  So maybe, I'm wondering if our setup is something like that, since I'm not getting a clear scum read off of anyone right now.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 24, 2011, 06:52:55 pm »

What if there's no particular mafia, but instead a set of lynchers set up to lynch townies?

I know that my win condition is clear town.  So maybe, I'm wondering if our setup is something like that, since I'm not getting a clear scum read off of anyone right now.

I think you might be on to. My wincon (AKA, my duty as stated in my flavor) to save this town from any dark forces that would seek to destroy it and those that would harbor them, verbatim. That doesn't indicate a definite scumteam, but it doesn't confirm your hypothesis either, and I'm more inclined to believe that the death singer is some sort of SK or survivor rather than a lyncher.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 24, 2011, 09:43:47 pm »

If nuke hasn't responded to my post by monday, I'm voting him.
Three days is more than enough time to answer that question.

NUKE. I keep my word.
There is literally no excuse for not answering me.
Here. I'll quote it for you.

Not sure if you've noticed, but Dariush? Kind of a dick.
It was not an OMGUS. I had my reasons, which are clearly stated.
Overreacted? He overreacted first.
Just because someone else did it first doesn't make it any less scummy.

3. You voted Zrk immediatly after his Jester claim and abandoned whatever (shreds of) scumhunting you were doing previously. That implies you're simply looking for a way to get through the day with an easy target and aren't really worried about finding scum.
3. You assume that I stop scumhunting the instant I find a lynch target. This assumption is wrong.
Except that's exactly what you did; After you voted Zrk2, you made two posts. One was advice to Zrk2 about how to best get himself lynched, the other was this defense. I don't see any scumhunting in them.
You assume that I feel the need to post my every thought, and inform every person whom I am watching that I am watching them. This assumption is wrong.

To clarify: the active, posting part of scumhunting involves two things: pressuring people to get better reads, and exposing what leads you have found so that others can think about them. Neither of these things were applicable.
You were doing neither of those things.  Why weren't they applicable, because everyone was focusing on flavor hunting? That doesn't change anything. You can still scumhunt while others are flavor hunting.

Nuke AND Dariush: That's only a scumslip if I actually have huge holes in my flavor.
But of course.
Do you have huge holes in your flavour? Who can tell. Certainly you wouldn't admit to it. I will confess right now to not being a flavour cop, so I have no way of finding out, either.
I've posted a lot of my flavor; the only things i have left out are things that would make my role obvious.

In other words, you are now defending yourself with... not even WIFOM, worse than that. This isn't a defence, this is just you saying 'maybe this isn't the case'.
...That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying 'prove that this is the case'. That I'm scum trying to keep people from looking at my flavor because it is full of massive holes. If you can prove the second part of that sentence, it recursively proves that I'm scum.

And it doesn't explain how you can be certain that the scum do not have any huge holes in their flavour, which is the actual main point of the argument.
I didn't see any huge holes in anyone's flavor.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 25, 2011, 12:58:30 am »

Once per game, I can poison someone's wine, killing them.
Aaaaaaand that's obviously a power of a wine merchant. Nuke, that fakeclaim is pathetic.
...Would you mind explaining in a bit more, um...detail?  Why wouldn't a wine merchant be able to poison wine?

I'm somewhat doubtful of this, though that's mainly because I'm getting a lyncher read from NativeForeigner (the whole thing about hunting down one specific person, even with the stated wish to take out all those who hate the town, feels lyncher-like).  Feels like we've got a lyncher (NUKE) trying to lynch a lyncher (Native) trying to lynch some Anthony Gallows person.

Max: When will the day end?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 25, 2011, 01:07:59 am »

I'm somewhat doubtful of this, though that's mainly because I'm getting a lyncher read from NativeForeigner (the whole thing about hunting down one specific person, even with the stated wish to take out all those who hate the town, feels lyncher-like).  Feels like we've got a lyncher (NUKE) trying to lynch a lyncher (Native) trying to lynch some Anthony Gallows person.

I guess it's possible that I'm a lyncher, depends on how you interpret it I suppose.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 25, 2011, 02:58:56 am »

It is obviously a clever reference to Wine In Front Of Me (I even use the same poison- Iocane powder (among the more deadly poisons known to man))
Haha, nice joke!
Wait, you're serious? You're seriously offering a reference to a random novel as argument to your innocence? How... just... What.

Also, I don't remember Westley being a merchant.

Nuke and Jack:
Wine merchant, by definition, sells wine. How would a wine merchant POISON someone else's wine?! By sneaking up to them in the night, offering free wine that incidentally is poisoned? And the... offeree will immediatly drink it?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 25, 2011, 05:35:12 am »

Dariush[0]:
NUKE9.13[3]: Vector, Dariush, Orangebottle
Toaster[0]:
Orangebottle[3]: Toaster, Jack A T, NUKE9.13
Urist_McArathos[0]:
Vector[0]:
Jack A T[0]:
NativeForeigner[0]:
Akigagak[0]:
Xanatos Jr[1]: Xanatos Jr

Not voting: Akigagak, Urist_McArathos, NativeForeigner

Game is tied. Day will be extended a few more hours at most.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 25, 2011, 07:43:11 am »

Max:  Can we get a specific time?  I'm against lynching Nuke, but I suppose I'd switch to break a tie.

Also, does that mean there are no more extends?  If not, extend.

Content coming soon.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 25, 2011, 07:55:36 am »

I'd really like to hear more from Orange, see if Dariush suspects anyone else, and hear from Native and Urist as to why they hasn't voted- especially Native.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 25, 2011, 08:05:52 am »

If nuke hasn't responded to my post by monday, I'm voting him.
Three days is more than enough time to answer that question.

NUKE. I keep my word.
There is literally no excuse for not answering me.
Here. I'll quote it for you.

Not sure if you've noticed, but Dariush? Kind of a dick.
It was not an OMGUS. I had my reasons, which are clearly stated.
Overreacted? He overreacted first.
Just because someone else did it first doesn't make it any less scummy.
Yes it does. Overreacting to an underreaction is stupid; overreacting to an overreaction is slightly less stupid.

To clarify: the active, posting part of scumhunting involves two things: pressuring people to get better reads, and exposing what leads you have found so that others can think about them. Neither of these things were applicable.
You were doing neither of those things.  Why weren't they applicable, because everyone was focusing on flavor hunting? That doesn't change anything. You can still scumhunt while others are flavor hunting.
No, they weren't applicable, because I had no one to apply them to.

Nuke AND Dariush: That's only a scumslip if I actually have huge holes in my flavor.
But of course.
Do you have huge holes in your flavour? Who can tell. Certainly you wouldn't admit to it. I will confess right now to not being a flavour cop, so I have no way of finding out, either.
I've posted a lot of my flavor; the only things i have left out are things that would make my role obvious.
So you say. Do you honestly not understand the concept that scum might lie about their flavor.

In other words, you are now defending yourself with... not even WIFOM, worse than that. This isn't a defence, this is just you saying 'maybe this isn't the case'.
...That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying 'prove that this is the case'. That I'm scum trying to keep people from looking at my flavor because it is full of massive holes. If you can prove the second part of that sentence, it recursively proves that I'm scum.
Burden of Proof. Its a fallacy. Don't use it.
I'm not saying that your flavour is obviously full of holes; I am saying that on closer inspection (eg flavorcops) it might prove to be full of holes.

And it doesn't explain how you can be certain that the scum do not have any huge holes in their flavour, which is the actual main point of the argument.
I didn't see any huge holes in anyone's flavor.
Neither did I. But I'm not going to take that and assume that there are no huge holes in anyone's flavour. Because that would be scummy.

Sorry for not answering you, but it just wasn't a very interesting set of questions. The answers should be obvious to anyone.

It is obviously a clever reference to Wine In Front Of Me (I even use the same poison- Iocane powder (among the more deadly poisons known to man))
Haha, nice joke!
Wait, you're serious? You're seriously offering a reference to a random novel as argument to your innocence? How... just... What.
Actually, the scene from the movie is more well known, I think.
It is that scene from whence the phrase 'Wine In Front Of Me' is lifted. Every time you use the phrase WIFOM, you are referring to what Westley pulls in that scene. So, yeah. It is appropriate.
It isn't an argument for my innocence, you tool, it is a counterpoint to you thinking my poisoning of wine is ridiculous.

Nuke and Jack:
Wine merchant, by definition, sells wine. How would a wine merchant POISON someone else's wine?! By sneaking up to them in the night, offering free wine that incidentally is poisoned? And the... offeree will immediatly drink it?
Look, guy, really?
I am a wine merchant. I know about wine. I know about slipping poisons into wine. Yes. What I do is offer someone some free wine, which is poisoned. They drink it, because I am clearly a wine merchant, offering free samples. I assume- it isn't even spelt out in my role PM- It just says that I have a once-per-game night action which will poison someone's wine with Iocane powder (one of the more deadly poisons known to man), killing them.
I honestly don't understand how you could possibly not understand this.
Long Live United Forenia!

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 25, 2011, 08:24:11 am »

Finally.
Yes it does. Overreacting to an underreaction is stupid; overreacting to an overreaction is slightly less stupid.
My point is, it's still overreacting. Which is still scummy.

No, they weren't applicable, because I had no one to apply them to.
Why not?

So you say. Do you honestly not understand the concept that scum might lie about their flavor.
No. But if they lied about their flavor, it'll probably have flaws in it.

I'm not saying that your flavour is obviously full of holes; I am saying that on closer inspection (eg flavorcops) it might prove to be full of holes.
Hint: it won't be.

Neither did I. But I'm not going to take that and assume that there are no huge holes in anyone's flavour. Because that would be scummy.
I forgot. How is this scummy again?
Sorry for not answering you, but it just wasn't a very interesting set of questions. The answers should be obvious to anyone.
That is literally the worst excuse I have ever heard. You just admitted to deliberately ignoring my questions because they 'weren't interesting'.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 25, 2011, 08:56:25 am »

I am clearly a wine merchant, offering free samples.
I just laughed out at this sentence. You aren't even trying.
I assume- it isn't even spelt out in my role PM- It just says that I have a once-per-game night action which will poison someone's wine with Iocane powder (one of the more deadly poisons known to man), killing them.
Wait. How can you assume that you're poisoning with iocane if it isn't spelled out in your role PM?

Toaster, Nuke is painfulyl obvscum, OB is simply obvscum and I'll be doing a reread for more suspects on D3.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32