Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ways to reach the underworld?  (Read 3506 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ways to reach the underworld?
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:15:31 am »

I've been trying to find an alternate way of reaching the underworld rather than through an old fort. So far, I had no such luck. Is there an alternate way?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to reach the underworld?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:38:57 am »

I'm sure it's possible, though wildly unlikely, to find a Curious Underground Structure by entering the caverns through a cave entrance and making your way down to layer 3 via downward passages. I've never heard of anyone actually accomplishing this, though, and cavern adventuring is REALLY annoying.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 01:14:16 pm »

I think one person managed to do it a long time back. It took them a couple of weeks (real-time) though, and they had to savescum a couple of times when they died by throwing themselves down deep pits in order to reach lower cavern levels.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

optimusjamie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 02:35:10 pm »

It's possible if you dig there in Fortress Mode and abandon the fortress. It certainly will take a while and there'll be lots of fun on the way (i.e magma, forgotten beasts, the stuff you find when you get there, etc) but worth it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 02:45:10 pm »

I think one person managed to do it a long time back. It took them a couple of weeks (real-time) though, and they had to savescum a couple of times when they died by throwing themselves down deep pits in order to reach lower cavern levels.
This fits quite nicely...
Quote from: Quote from: PTTG?? on July 16, 2008, 02:23:51 pm
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!

Making a fortress to abandon would ultimately be the simplest option, if you're feeling a little elven today.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 04:27:16 pm »

Tried it. Eventually got tired of wandering the caverns hopelessly for hours.
Though after this thread, I think I'll give it another try. (Probably change cavern openness and the such in advanced params to get caverns more likely to have a path down)
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:29:16 pm »

I've fallen into the deeps by having a random section of the world just collapse into the caverns for no apparent reason. Survived the fall by landing in water, but got killed by a GCS before I could find a way up or down.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:52:51 pm »

This fits quite nicely...
Quote from: Quote from: PTTG?? on July 16, 2008, 02:23:51 pm

Making a fortress to abandon would ultimately be the simplest option, if you're feeling a little elven today.
you could retire a open lair fort wait 4 days and try to take on 100 demons to buff back the lost difficulty.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 02:42:38 am »

Ive only managed to find such a thing Once. It was a Hole in a Deep, Deep Cave. For some reason, it flooded. I followed the Water, and saw it Draining into something.

I swum down for quite a while before I found myself in the Underword. And promptly got Savaged.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 02:58:02 am »

I was thinking of making a fort, digging a stairway as deep as possible, unleash the demons ( screw censoring, everybody knows about them ) have them kill all my dwarves.  I can then use an adventurer to go down there.  I've seen stories of how the demons are re-unleashed in DF Adv mode, such as taking a certain adamantine sword from the rock.  Is that part true?  I want an adamantine excalibur. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 04:20:47 am »

I was thinking of making a fort, digging a stairway as deep as possible, unleash the demons ( screw censoring, everybody knows about them ) have them kill all my dwarves.  I can then use an adventurer to go down there.  I've seen stories of how the demons are re-unleashed in DF Adv mode, such as taking a certain adamantine sword from the rock.  Is that part true?  I want an adamantine excalibur.
It works. Just don't expect much actual excitement, since them being them they are often either laughably easy to kill or god damn near invincible. You either die or get bored.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 04:26:40 am »

I don't intend to actually stay, I intend to get the sword, and run the hell ( absolutely no pun intended ) out.  I just want the sword, I'm not stupid enough to fight DEMONS. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 07:34:42 am »

They fly very quickly.
[Signature]

Fidna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 09:39:46 am »

I once found a CUS by sheer chance. I wasn't actively looking for it. Though, I also ran like hell because screw those freaks and their pit of loathing.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 04:35:46 pm »

I don't intend to actually stay, I intend to get the sword, and run the hell ( absolutely no pun intended ) out.  I just want the sword, I'm not stupid enough to fight DEMONS.
Better be fast as hell and have a straight path. First time I tried this I charged in for the hell of it, second time I tried to run away and a couple of those bastards caught me before I could get out of the area. Didn't help that the pointless zombie people were loitering everywhere no matter how damn many of them I killed.
Pages: [1] 2