Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Modular fortress [pics][updated]  (Read 8267 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modular fortress [pics]
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 04:08:25 am »

then a giant robot dragon fortress with ai from its in-game water-powered computer, that can get up, move about and spew magma at invaders

Lol, pressure plates on every tile of the map to give path, 1152 bytes of input just to figure out where to aim the magma, and the thing would probably manage one cycle of its AI routine every year :)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 04:09:51 am »

Oh yes, I'm particularly looking forward to the first dwarven mecha.  We should also expect great innovations in magma-diving, aquifer breaching, hell divers, obsidian casting, and open-pit mining.  Just wait until someone constructs an entire tower out of engraved native gold that was brought up from the depths mechanically.

NINJA: It wouldn't be automated, it would be dwarf-controlled, with an Urist McGundam in the middle of it with a series of levers and more levers.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 05:08:01 am »

Yuck.
Mecha.
I'd rather build an Aperture Science. Or Black Mesa, whatever...
So far I was able to make them all wear white robes.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 06:11:39 am »

gaiz...

no controls... that way it can go insane and digest all the dwarves in gnomeblight

it has to be ALIVE!!!

except its mounted miniguns, those can be controllable.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 08:44:02 am »

the first thing ill do when we get moving fortress parts is a elevator into the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

just thought of something, we are getting better atom-smashers!

half back on-topic: i think ill develop some modules using large stone walls as gates

preview ideas of entrance modules: giant hatch(4x4 bridge), drawbridge, dual-mode pit and trap corridor

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 09:56:08 am »

Hello there. I love these, and I promise my next fortress will be very modular and efficient.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:20:55 pm by Crazy Cow »

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 02:53:12 pm »

i would like opinions on the fluid distribution system

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 03:02:20 pm »

That irregular dorm is horrendously inefficient. I would make one entry and one door in the very center connecting all 4 and just spin the design to match hallways. You use two doors instead of four and nobody has to walk all the way around the block to get to bed. OR just take out two parallel doors to keep dwarves from taking shortcuts through bedrooms.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Modular fortress [pics][updated]
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 11:39:28 pm »

The interesting thing about this is that one could set up macros or use third party programs to easily make each of these rooms.

Do you happen to have pictures of a fortress with a modular system, gabandre? I would love to see one.
I'm rather interested in these designs now since my fortress often looks like the crazed drawings of a drunkard.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 02:11:23 am »

The interesting thing about this is that one could set up macros or use third party programs to easily make each of these rooms.

Do you happen to have pictures of a fortress with a modular system, gabandre? I would love to see one.
I'm rather interested in these designs now since my fortress often looks like the crazed drawings of a drunkard.

I'm personally considering using these in a fortress at some point, though modified slightly to 7x7 and 15x15's, as even numbers just annoy me, and I prefer a different sort of grid. They look useful though.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 11:33:06 am »

i made several fortresses using this system but I always forget to take pics of them and as all fortresses, them eventually fell(or got boring, then i had to add FUN)

ill start a fortress today and take pictures as requested

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 02:54:09 pm »

example fortress uploaded

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 11:27:16 am »

Why do you have the 1 tile wide hallways on the sides of the main hallway? I've been looking at that and can't see the reason for it.

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 05:21:39 am »

I'm poundering about 1 thing and it might be solved with !!SCIENCE!!.. but as a lazy bastard, I'll ask instead first.

Say each module has 4 entries (N,E,S,W) and you place multiple modules next to each other in a grid.
Wont the pathfinding be a lot harder when there's so many different routes to a certain point?

With pathfinding almost every route is similiar to the other routes, so it would have to calculate pretty far ahead to determine the route to take.

This could easily be tested by making x amount of modules connected in all wind directions and place bridges/doors to seal off certain entries to see if that increases fps.

This is basically the reason why I don't use modular fortresses myself, as I often leave my fortresses after a fps death. (using 1 wider hallway and workshops with only a single entrypoint seems to be working better than making everything connected)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 06:20:27 am »

Oh yes, I'm particularly looking forward to the first dwarven mecha.  We should also expect great innovations in magma-diving, aquifer breaching, hell divers, obsidian casting, and open-pit mining.  Just wait until someone constructs an entire tower out of engraved native gold that was brought up from the depths mechanically.

NINJA: It wouldn't be automated, it would be dwarf-controlled, with an Urist McGundam in the middle of it with a series of levers and more levers.

DEUS EX IMPERATOR!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 06:26:58 am by Wannazzaki »
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!
Pages: 1 [2] 3