Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What is a Monster? {Last Ditch Effort}  (Read 4662 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
What is a Monster? {Last Ditch Effort}
« on: September 07, 2011, 05:05:35 pm »

((Hokay, it's time for another shot at a CYOA. I'll try to update it regularly. I'm sorry if none of this makes sense or is confusing or boring, if it is feel free to just tell me so >_>. It's a manifestation of a tale I've been thinking about for a long time.))

EDIT:((The Following pages were meant to be the prologue, you can skip straight to the real start of the story here))

When dusk settles, the darkness comes. It envelopes half the world. No one knows what it is, where it comes from, or why it’s here. It is known as The Devoran, an old way of saying The Devourer. For as long as any man can remember, any fool still outside when the Devoran comes around, is never seen again. There is no body, and no trace of a scuffle. The tracks of people who try to run from it stop abruptly. To date, there has only ever been one person, in the entire history of mankind, who ever survived the darkness: a small, baby boy with yellow eyes.

Strangely enough, the darkness has no effect on plants, and farmers who toil the surface by day found him in a thicket one day. As he grew to be a young boy, many of the villagers came to regard him as a monster. As he grew to be a man, many say he really became a monster.

However, this story is not just about that baby found the thicket.

This is the story of the lives of the men who killed him.

Today, entirety of the world’s population lives underground, forced to fend off the horrors of an accursed underground world, for fear of being devoured by the horror on the surface. No man can recall a time it was different. It's a world filled with Dire Mold (not to be trifled with), Demons, and, most importantly, Those Who Should Not Have Been; The Blood Beasts. Those three are considered the true monsters of this world, each made by man, each in it's own unique way.
If there was ever any good thing that came out of living down here, it would be the Chysts. Apparently, the closer you get to the center of the world, the more power man can obtain from the earth. Chysts are large, glowing crystals deep below the surface.
Chysts will make you do great things. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of Chysts deep beneath the earth, each give a unique gift they bestow to newborn children. The closer you born to one, the more strength you will have. Wars have been fought over powerful chysts. Empires have both risen and fallen by their influence. They are what keeps the monsters at bay and, although indirectly, they are also what make a lot of the monsters.

You are Castrum Perditus, Prince of Whitetown, the city of order and towers. It's a fortress of a city, enclosed in the biggest cavern on record, so big that not even the bright marble walls of the city's perimeter don't even come near the cavern's walls. Above it is The Plug, A massive stone circlet, supporting hundreds of benches, farmers, and pulleys being used to harvest food from the surface. You are fifth in line for the throne, right now you are sitting on the mossy knoll outside your father's castle, looking at the city that your honorable father and all of your siblings would have to die for you to inherit. You'd say it's a nice day outside, but you're underground. Everything. is. underground. You find that spending time just thinking about things is relaxing. Thinking about anything, really.

What are you thinking about?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:18:51 pm by Heliman »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Monster? {Text Adventure}
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 05:07:27 pm »

>About whether or not you really want to be King.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:13:47 pm by freeformschooler »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:19:05 pm »

> Think about which siblings we would most/least regret seeing die.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 05:22:00 pm »

> What foods the other four people in line for the throne are allergic to.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:32:28 pm »

> About how does the moon and stars look like.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 06:28:17 pm »

> About how does the moon and stars look like.
You've never heard of a "moon" before, but you do know what Stars look like! He's your pet Dragon Bunny! You call out his name. Stars comes bouncing down the hill. He jumps right onto your chest. Dragon Bunnies don't really look like dragons, but you're family keeps them anyway because of their name. They're basically just normal bunnies with long, furry tails.
They're around the size of a large dog. You gasp. You think Stars knocked the wind out of you.
You manage to pet him anyway, you wub him.
A pot sails out the window above you and over your head, accompanied by yelling.

> What foods the other four people in line for the throne are allergic to.
What does allergic mean?

>About whether or not you really want to be King.
Kingship?
You cough.
Never. You could never be a king. I mean, what would your brother's think? They'd be furious with you. Especially Norbert, although you're pretty sure he's angry at everything. After all, those pot's being thrown out of his window right now have to be coming from somewhere.
Another porcelain masterpiece sails over you.
Dammit, you liked that one. It had a very detailed picture of your family's chryst on it. Admittedly, there are a thousand other pots, banners and seals with that exact same picture, but that was some of the good china, Norbert!
A voice from up above mirror's your thoughts, "But that was the good China, Norbert!" That must be his pottery tutor. Poor old lady, she's probably the third one his week. Norbert was never good at any of the Royal Fine arts.

> Think about which siblings we would most/least regret seeing die.
You could not possibly bear to witness any of your kin die! you love them all equally.
*smash*
Norbert, okay? You love him, but the man's a brute with no taste for the fine art. Speaking of which, it'd be best to avoid him for awhile. And to stay outside the castle. If he gets too angry and turns into a dragon again you'll be picking the mortar out of your hair for days.
You hear a rumbling from the castle.
There he goes.
Best not to stick around here for too long. You push Stars off of you and stand up. You then fall back down again.

You are the king! It's you! All the peasants are bowing down to you and you have a crown on and Norbert is painting a portrait of you and everything is wonderful and you're right beside the Queen and she's the love of your life and gosh does your head hurt and why is the queen licking you?

You wake up. The back of your head is a little bloody... and is covered with little bits of fine china. Ow ow ow...
Hello Stars, thanks for waking me up.
Oh hey, you're outside the stables, you must've rolled all the way down the hill. You don't think you've ever been in here before. Come to think of it, you don't think you've ever been this far away from the castle before.
You see a big sign outside the stables.
DO NOT STARE AT THE PONIES.
From inside, you hear the most adorable neigh you've ever heard.
Awww. They must be skittish!

What do you do?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:36:50 pm by Heliman »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 06:34:52 pm »

The ponies.

We must stare at them.

Surely it says not to stare at them because they're too adorable.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 06:39:25 pm »

>Just what is wrong with those ponies anyway?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 06:50:49 pm »

>become friends with the ponies...because friendship is magic

Find blunt object. Kill. Feast.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 07:16:03 pm »

The ponies.

We must stare at them.

Surely it says not to stare at them because they're too adorable.

THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:54:20 pm »

The ponies.

We must stare at them.

You simply must stare at the ponies.

poniesponiesponiesponies~
Spoiler: Oh. (click to show/hide)
"Um. hello." you say.
"Neigh!"
"Aww."
"NEIGH."
"what."
You suddenly realize that you shouldn't leave. That you shouldn't take your eyes away from the ponie. It's just. Too adorable. You're going to be friends forever.

@_@

A hand forcibly turns your head around.
"No! Bad idea! Bad, bad idea!" A man yells at you, "Why didn't you read the sign? It's up there for a reason!"
You stare back up at him, pale faced.
"Damn, there's no helping it. You must be One of the princes, I assume?"
You nod.
"Well, come on, let's get you something to drink. You look like the very marrow's been sucked out from your bones."
Frustrated that it had been denied it's meal, the pony let out an annoyed "NEIGH."
"Which, incidentally, is exactly what would have happened if you kept staring at the Dire-Pony."
"NEIGH!"
He leads you into a side room of the stable, and sits you down on a wood bench. He sits down on the opposite side. No tea was made. That annoys you a bit.

What do you do?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Monster? {Blood beasts are scary. T_T}
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 10:37:21 am »

>Ask if there's anything he wants from me.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 10:42:29 am »

Ask him what he thinks about...
Norbert...
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 12:44:26 pm »

>Ask if there's anything he wants from me.
"Ponies ponies ponies," you say,"Ponies ponies ponies ponies?" You realize you can't say anything other than ponies.
"Can't understand you, prince." says the man, "You'll probably be like that for awhile. It doesn't matter, when your brother gets here he'll do the talking."
"pony?" you ask.
"Shut up, that's starting to get annoying."
"PONY." you yell indignantly.
"I said shut up!" He stands, slamming his hands on the table. You notice that he's wearing a black long sleeve shirt and tights. Is this guy really the Stablemaster?

Caestrum seems to be rather ponified at the moment, what say we be someone else for awhile? Pick a circle!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:47:33 am by Heliman »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Monster? {Blood beasts are Bastards.}
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 01:14:21 pm »

Top circle.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Pages: [1] 2 3