Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Conquest of Elysium 3 - a new game by the developer of dominions 3  (Read 17452 times)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 - a new game by the developer of dominions 3
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2012, 05:07:49 pm »

I wish there was something besides "Conquer everything" Because chasing down enemies when you've won is such a tedious process.

There's also the bad balance between the factions, some of them are quite poor or to good, or only best in certain ways (Enchanter usually is best just making necrotods and mind controlling wandering units)

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2012, 07:22:56 pm »

Ah that's too bad, I'm in UTC -8 U.S. time zone.  The faction balance is indeed all over the place, some of them are pretty good to start with and stay good for a while (troll king), others are extremely weak and then get access to game breaking units (witch), while others just plain stay weak.

Definitely like Dominions 3 more for the unit descriptions and the HUGE variety of units you can recruit.  But when I used to play Dom3 against AI a turn would take 15-20 minutes to load... So it's nice to have the fairly quick turn resolution in Coe3.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2012, 07:24:31 pm »

I have to say, the one thing that kinda intrigued me was the Beholder and the fact that it actually had spells as an attack.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2012, 02:00:48 am »

I wish there was something besides "Conquer everything" Because chasing down enemies when you've won is such a tedious process.

There's also the bad balance between the factions, some of them are quite poor or to good, or only best in certain ways (Enchanter usually is best just making necrotods and mind controlling wandering units)

You can turn on that option that says that losing all your commanders or citadels will lose the game.

Personally don't really mind bad balance. The Necromancer is probably on both extremes of the balance scale. I played an Empire map as a Necromancer vs a Baron level senator. Lost maybe 4-7 games because Necromancers die really easily. But once I got the Undead Legion thing, they were unstoppable by typical human forces. But a skilled player will know that he has to rush a Necromancer or other magic wielding type really early.

Though I think the scales are a little off. It's a hard to forge a kingdom in CoE, because you can't really control what goes on in your 'borders'. I'd like to mod the hell out of this game, but I have enough on my hands as it is :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 02:08:48 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2012, 02:05:10 am »

Scary map when fighting a necro is the fallen empire so many Battle Fields.
Also I wish the ally AI was not a jerk I was playing a 2 v 2 game and my ally took my main place so I could not buy units.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2012, 02:18:17 am »

Dangerous to assume that necros aren't devastating in other maps. The classic method is to beeline towards a graveyard/BF, so people will slaughter a necro/apprentice when they see them near one.

But use the Dark Knowledge right, and you'll get a good idea where the enemy is. Make a grab for a city/town or some other major location they're not guarding. Most of these towns/cities are battlefields in their own right, and you should be able to summon a huge army similar to from a graveyard. By this time, they'll probably be too wounded to counter you, and if they do, you have good odds with a big army inside a fortified area. Plus cities/towns give you plenty of hands of glory for the long term.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2012, 02:53:03 am »

A question for anyone more skilled than me: is it possible to get the same sort of "end of the world" spells you could get in dom3? I usualy die early mid game so I have no idea -_-

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2012, 03:09:10 am »

The game says you can lvl and I see a xp number but how much do you need to lvl up, Also can you buy weapon and armor or can you only find it?
Also the more I play the more the game reminds me of Battle of Westnoth sorta.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:10:46 am by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2012, 04:02:38 am »

20/50/80/100 XP to level IIRC, but you can just move your mouse over/right click the XP number (and most numbers and such in the game), and a tooltip pops up telling you in better detail. Levelling up isn't a super big thing though.

Not quite sure about the items, but I am pretty sure you can only find them (some races might be able to buy them, but no clue if thats true).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2012, 04:45:25 am »

20/50/80/100 XP
20/60/120/200 (or +20/+40/+60/+80 if you prefer). Leveling up will get you some HP (1/2/3/5) some morale (1/1/2/2) strength (0/1/1/1) and a point of MR on level 4. So really, any unit that gets to live to to level 4 won't benefit much from it. Though level 4 rabbits are monsters (almost as good as a goblin spearman vs. being 1-hit-kill chaff on level 1)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2012, 05:05:07 am »

The Cultists's higher summons and their level 3 spells are absolutely insane.  The Basalt King has that drown everyone for 1-999 damage, and then there's the starspawn spell that makes all your troops ethereal.  Good luck with them casting it in the more important battles though...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2012, 05:09:18 am »

Heh. Just saw a giant toad get eaten by a gelatinous cube. In the words of Qui-Gon Jinn "There's always a bigger fish".
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2012, 12:34:23 pm »

A question for anyone more skilled than me: is it possible to get the same sort of "end of the world" spells you could get in dom3? I usualy die early mid game so I have no idea -_-

I don't really know what the dom3 "end of the world spells", but from what I recall in CoE2, the late game skills can get pretty nasty. Trolls can summon dragons. Some Demon Lords can charm an entire army before the battle starts. Some of the Greater Demons have spells that can make a row of units ethereal (yeah, ethereal demons). Liches are not only incredibly powerful as in being capable of blowing up the battlefield... they're immortal too.

I don't know how the El Priest plays in CoE 3, but in the old one, the Riders of the Apocalypse were able to easily wipe out most troops.

Downside is that most of these doomsday stuff take a very long time to start up. Chances are if the faction is easy earlier on, it gets much, much harder later. IMO, probably the best part of CoE is going up against a deeply dug-in opponent with 3 thousand troops, and just blowing them to bits with late game powers.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2012, 02:27:27 pm »

There's a demilich stage now, after lichdom... the upside? You're ethereal, immune to non-magical weapons, have some nasty lifedrain attacks. Downside? You cannot move anymore normally, thus are useless leading armies. You can, however, teleport semi-randomly with a tropism for sites with "presence of the dead"
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2012, 04:05:10 pm »

I caved and bought it, if anyone wants a multi game hit me up on steam: Scriptwolf
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6