Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Conquest of Elysium 3 - a new game by the developer of dominions 3  (Read 17451 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Conquest of Elysium 3 - a new game by the developer of dominions 3
« on: September 07, 2011, 03:54:39 pm »

Spotted over at Rock Paper Shotgun forums, a new game under development which looks like a successor to dominions 3.

not much to say as this looks like really early in the development stage, but i figured that since dominions 3 and CoE 2 has so many fans around here, they will be happy just to even see the headline.

http://www.illwinter.com/coe3/index.html

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 - a new game by the developer of dominions 3
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 04:37:07 pm »

I will only play this if they add proper ai diplomacy.  It ruined D3 for me.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:02:23 pm »

CoE2 had a great "coffe break" concept for such game, i enjoyed playing it for a few weeks, it is very different from the Dominions serie actually (i played only the demo of D2 and D3), and as it has been released as freeware long time ago by Shrapnel and Illwinter, you can download and give it a try :
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Our_Games/Free_Games.html

But i really hope CoE3 will have a completely revised battle system :
In CoE2 the "every units in the defending side always strikes first" system was giving very bad dynamics to a game based about battle and conquest.
As then to get the advantage in a battle it was better to not attack but wait to be attacked by the AI (because once the defending side finish the 1st turn of the battle, the attacker side is half destroyed before having attacked once)

The Dominions battle system was infinitively better than the CoE2 one in that respect, as 1st strike was depending a lot on the location of an unit, its speed, and other kind of characteristic.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:04:48 pm by Robsoie »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »

If it's a "new and improved conquest of elysium 2" it might be really great. That game had a very good basic concept. My biggest issue with it was that combat was too simplistic.

Re: I see that the long post above me went around the same point: yeah, that among other things. It didn't even allow for rearrangement of units, and battles were long and leaning on boring (I sped them up). I'd like to have some variety in that regard, even if it fell short of DOminion's battle system (I'd not mind if CoE3 HAD dominions battle system though. I found it to be quite elegant)

Diplomacy I don't mind that much. Ok, it'd be nice to have, but consider how few games have a decently-performing diplomatic AI. I'd rather have them focus on the strategic AI and make it an all-vs-all game on the lines of the early Heroes of Might and Magic.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 07:45:55 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:44:05 pm »

CoE2 was the worst best game ever.  There were so many issues and it was so bare bones but I could tell if it were fleshed out it would kick its brudda in da ass (Its brudda, he play da lee singa, and by lee singa I mean Dominions)

It had a lot of potential and in some ways was even better than Dominions, but wasn't as playable as Dominions.
Shoes...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 08:02:25 pm »

It had a lot of potential and in some ways was even better than Dominions, but wasn't as playable as Dominions.

Ouch. Just... ouch. D3's UI is pretty painful, especially at what it needs to be doing. Saying something is less playable...

Anyway, Illwinter production that's fantasy? Sign me up for the demo!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:45:19 pm »

I will only play this if they add proper ai diplomacy.  It ruined D3 for me.

It did have a reason why you didn't have diplomacy. You were basically pretender gods seeking conquest in order to become the ultimate god, and your followers were rabid to the point of desiring their death. If you started talking with the enemy about peace your religion could have begun to fade.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 03:59:23 pm »

People complaining about D3s UI or it being unfriendly are the same people who complain about the "to hard/unbeatable" deus ex bosses. I nearly didn't buy it because of that and when I actually played it (0 combat implants) and beat the first boss with a pistol, I am always reminded that on average, people are -simply not investing as much time as I do and most likely- not as dedicated to Gaming ... so yeah, sometimes I think you don't deserve the rich experience the more complex games can give you.

/rant

Anyway, as a Illwinter fanboy, I look forward to there newest product.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 04:56:37 pm »

D3's UI could save a lot of effort in a lot of different areas. Repeatable build queues, ferex, or queuing up multiple turn movement orders. Rally points for new units. Being able to tap a button and auto-formation a group of units into a formation you pre-design would be tremendous. Lots of stuff like that, to make the logistics of movement and getting ready for combat not so freaking time consuming.

It makes a number of tasks take longer than they really have to, which has the unfortunate effect of stretching out the amount of real-time involvement necessary to keep an empire running (especially a late game one on a large map) considerably further than it would actually need to with some tweaks here and there.

D3's UI does alright considering the amount going on, but it could do a lot better.

Hopefully the new CoE will either optimize things a bit or be designed so the slog doesn't happen, heh.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:58:34 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 03:50:05 pm »

Shameless bump

I for one wouldn't have minded some terrain complexity in dominions (hills, obstacles what have you) and spells that transform it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 04:10:54 pm »

There were different types of terrain. And it did affect combat outcomes, IIRC. Mountain terrain improved defenders, for instance, and subterranean provinces were very good for see-in-thedark troops.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 01:09:30 am »

Bumpidy bump

Just noticed the game is available for pre - purchase on desura.

You can buy it but it will be a month before it gets unlocked. words around the web mention that it is very buggy at the moment.

http://www.desura.com/games/conquest-of-elysium-3

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 05:33:25 am »

Donīt care, if itīs anything like dominion they will fix it, love it and groom it into a wonderful little thing...

Sadly dominion had the lol-wat pricetag of 60 $ (and still has, even with sale itīs like 55$)... Iīd pay 30 for it, happily. I never payed more then 50 $ for any game, ever thou...

Preordering this when Iīm home from work.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 08:21:36 am »

Auto-purchase when I have to money, DoM III is one of the finest games ever made and I have zero reason to anticipate anything less than quality from this one.

Surprised/glad it landed on Desura frankly, though decidedly less so, just the surprised part mind, if it also arrives on Shrapnel come release time.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 09:00:40 am »

Never got into the previous Conquest of Elysium games but I love Dominions 3. Looking forward to see how this game works out.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6