Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Victoria 2  (Read 16857 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 2
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2011, 11:06:22 pm »

I always assumed that if rebels occupied the capital, it would be game over for me.

It's game over for the ruling party/ruler. You on the other hand, as an omnipotent space Buddha guiding the spirit of the country through these turbulent times of industrial revolution, will be just fine.

Another option would be of course not playing as Wallachia, instead choosing bit more well off (and independent) nation to start with. But I guess you have your reasons

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2011, 11:42:46 pm »

Wallachia is the nation of Vlad the Impaler. 

Nuff said. 

On a different note, I really hope you're right, Delta Foxtrot.  So here's a few more questions:

What's the best way to raise militancy quickly?

Will the different ideologies of the rebels influence the new government? 

Will the surrounding countries, the Ottomans more specifically, hate me and declare war on Wallachia?

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2011, 12:05:22 am »

What's the best way to raise militancy quickly?

Will the different ideologies of the rebels influence the new government? 

Will the surrounding countries, the Ottomans more specifically, hate me and declare war on Wallachia?

1. Setting high taxes to prevent people from affording basic needs and losing wars both increase militancy. Being a satellite you can't start a war though, right? No one said this was going to be fast and easy. There might be more ways, but I'm not in the business of increasing my militancy in my games so I haven't looked into it too much.

2. The type of rebel will influence the type of government they set up if victorious. Reactionaries will reinstate monarchy etc.

3. As far as the game is concerned, there is no kill_former_satellite anywhere in the code. Being a weak, independent nation amidst bigger guys could net you their unwanted attention though. Or it might not. You can't really tell just yet.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2011, 12:06:50 am »

Ok...what would be an ideal government type?  That way I can choose which rebels can take over my capitol. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2011, 01:30:18 am »

If you're new, then definitely not Communist rebels. You're most likely to end up with Jacobin rebels who want more democracy, and if you get Reactionary rebels then it's no big deal because it'd just mean that you have the power to do whatever you want. There's no real ideal government type, it really depends on the play style, sometimes communism is good if you have the will to guide every aspect of the economy, democracies are especially good in the new world because of more immigrants (unless you don't want immigrants, in which case they're bad).

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2011, 02:10:47 am »

Can uncivilised nations not build factories? The wiki wasn't very helpful, nor was the tutorial.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2011, 02:56:32 am »

Can uncivilised nations not build factories? The wiki wasn't very helpful, nor was the tutorial.
Uncivilized nations cannot build factories.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2011, 03:01:54 am »

I thought so, but I wasn't sure. Also, I have a navy, but when I try and invade a port I only see a red X, what am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:51:57 am by Kilroy the Grand »
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2011, 12:30:34 pm »

you need to occupy the province with land forces first. To blockade, just leave your ships in the ocean in front of the harbor.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 2 a House Divided
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2012, 11:14:09 am »

The new expansion came out 2 weeks ago and we don't seem to be discussing it. That needs to be corrected.
So, anyway, is there a trick to winning as the confederacy? I seem to have less money and men then USA. (yet somehow Paradox though this was a very fun moment to explore)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 03:36:14 pm »

Also, what is the point of puppets? They don't seem to give you money, or (special) access to their market. It seems like they might support you in wars, but that requires a separate treaty, and they won't always agree (as I found out in my latest game as China). Judging from the war cost, however, it should be something good. So what am I missing?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2012, 08:43:20 am »

Finally got around to patching to 1.3, and exporting some EU3:DW games over.

I'm seriously impressed with the updated economy code. There's several months of economic chaos as prices and supply/demand fluctuate like crazy, but then it settles into a stable pattern. Also, kinda terrifying what's possible when you have liberal/free trade states at the outset. I came into the game as massive Scandinavia-Russia-North-America, with an HM's Government and undisputed Liberal Party control. Cue private investors building crap-tons of railroads, which drives factory investment. Factories which produced goods used by those railroad builders (cement, steel, etc.) survived and thrived. Various other factories (explosives, fabric, glass, etc.) tended to die out.

Austria is even more extreme, as they came in with an absolute monarchy, but an Anarcho-Liberal government. (I refer to them as "the Empire of Rand"). Military strength is considerably weakened from their EU3 levels, but OMG that industry score.... :o

This is a huge step up from Victoria 1, which was really incapable of modelling a rational economy other than the default setup. Without England to make and sell machine parts from the outset, industrialization in Vic 1 non-standard games (imports from EU2 or EU3 for instance) was incredibly slow.

I suppose my one complaint is that artisans make high-population nations a bit too powerful at times. China is an industrial powerhouse, even without factories. I'm curious to see how they hold up as the game goes on, and most in-demand items become produced at industrial scales, weakening the benefit of artisans.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2012, 11:58:56 am »

So I've been looking at Victoria 2 ever since I bought the Paradox Complete Pack on Steam. I've however always been frightened off by the graphs and data everywhere. After a long love affair with EU3 I think it's time to explore other games as well.  :P

So some questions.
The expansion: is it worth it? Don't really have much intrest in reinacting the American Civil War and I'm wondering if the other features added are worth it for the current price.

Mods: Is there any decent mods out there that improve/fixes the gameplay without changing too much from the game. Something like Miscmods for EU3 would be a prime example. Would the expansion pack mess with some of the "prime" mods? 

Gameplay: Any good tutorials that explain the basic concepts of the game/hints? Are there any "bad habits" I should avoid picked up from EU3?
Lastly, for some strange reason, I want to try and a make a highly liberal Arabian country, preferelly Morocco. I want to try to make Islam the centre of rational thought and technology again, is this even remotely possible for a new-comer?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2012, 12:51:07 pm »

So I've been looking at Victoria 2 ever since I bought the Paradox Complete Pack on Steam. I've however always been frightened off by the graphs and data everywhere. After a long love affair with EU3 I think it's time to explore other games as well.  :P

So some questions.
The expansion: is it worth it? Don't really have much intrest in reinacting the American Civil War and I'm wondering if the other features added are worth it for the current price.

Mods: Is there any decent mods out there that improve/fixes the gameplay without changing too much from the game. Something like Miscmods for EU3 would be a prime example. Would the expansion pack mess with some of the "prime" mods? 

Gameplay: Any good tutorials that explain the basic concepts of the game/hints? Are there any "bad habits" I should avoid picked up from EU3?
Lastly, for some strange reason, I want to try and a make a highly liberal Arabian country, preferelly Morocco. I want to try to make Islam the centre of rational thought and technology again, is this even remotely possible for a new-comer?

Don't have the DLC, so I couldn't say whether it's worth it or not. Likewise, no mods (other than modding the country files to convert smoothly from EU3).

The main issues with Morocco/random Arab liberal-to-be country are going to be:
1. What political parties are available. For what you're describing, you'd want one something like this:

"Hizb ut-Tahrir"
Trade Policy: Free Trade
Economic Policy: Laissez Faire or Interventionism
Religious Policy: Moralism
Citizenship Policy: Limitied Citizenship or Full Citizenship
War Policy: Any (although if you imagine them as an outgrowth of the Sufis, probably Anti War or Pacifism)

That's going to be a tough order, although the People's Union in the Ottoman Empire comes close. Most liberal parties are going to secular or plural, and most moralist parties are going to be conservative or reactionary. You can always pick a county and edit in a new party like the one above.

2. The other big problem is that your population is likely to be inclined towards conservatism or even reactionary leanings. Lack of industrialization means that your population is divided into two main classes:
--Farmer/laborers, who tend towards conservativism
--Aristocrats/officers, who tend towards conservatism/reactionary.

You'll also have priests, who can run the gamut, and soldiers, who tend to run to the extremes.

In order to liberalize effectively (especially if you want to transition away from an absolute monarchy), you'll need to get capitalists and clerks. Which means factories, which you can't build as an uncivilized nation. If you had some capitalists and tilted your economy to give them as much money as possible (0% Rich taxes, Commerce techs out the wazoo), they could build factories, but that would require you to have State Capitalism in place at bare minimum (Interventionism preferred, and Laissez Faire greatly preferred). Interventionism would actually be the best to get started, because you could subsidize any factories that get built, as they'll likely be operating at a loss until there's enough workers to get them running at a decent clip. You'll also need to spend pretty generously on education in order to get enough of a literate segment of society to be clerks and craftsmen.

Best bet for something like that in the Muslim world would be the Ottomans, but then you're enmeshed in all the Great Game stuff too. Ottomans are *not* easy to play. Persia is another option. The North African states like Algiers and Morocco are going to be difficult because of relatively worthless provinces and Great Powers in France and Spain who are all too happy to cross the water and wreck your shit.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2012, 02:09:14 pm »

This one links to the dev-diaries of the expansion among other things.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?459403-Important-pages-for-V2-fans-including-reviews-dev-diaries-wiki-and-the-demo!

There's a lot of changes even if you're not interested in the American civil war (which looks pretty much the same as in vanilla vic2). Rebels got an overhaul, you can build things in other countries, china is split up and you can manufacture casus belli (there was a huge lack of them in vic2). There's also new map modes and the process of becoming civilized has been replaced as well.

I haven't actually played it much yet so I'm not too sure about the details though.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6