Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Author Topic: Frozenvictims 2.0 - Terrifying Glacier succession fort  (Read 30095 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: Frozenvictims 2.0 - Terrifying Glacier succession fort
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2011, 03:19:27 pm »

(so, our only kills this fort are on a pair of axe-wielding female dwarves currently listed as wrestlers.

Does anyone else think they need their own squad?)

Bestiary of the Portentous Planet

URSUS MARITIMUS (Polar Bear) - A powerful predator here on the ice.  Amazingly, its coat appears to be essentially clear, rather than white, on close inspection.  I believe they could be tamed and trained for war, like the common bears of more familiar and hospitable climes, but the exceptional size and power of the polar bear means that it would take a personage of exceptionally strong will to do so.  While I do not doubt the will of some of our residents, a bespectacled friend of mine gives me assurances that the dwarf that can tame such a creature has not been born.  While I think an attempt might be worth the effort, should we acquire a breeding pair here in Frozenvictims, I have come to both trust his judgment and rely on his advice, especially on matters of the spirit.

The essence of the Polar Bear, I think, might confer its resilience to the dire cold.  However, efforts to extract such an essence have not yet begun -- both our equipment and our dwarfpower are lacking, and there is a greater need for simple patching and repair of wounded flesh at this time.  It seems we have another zoo specimen.

From the Desk of Tevish Szat
If you would kindly bring me your severed limbs, I'm sure we can do something with them.  And, if reattachment is out of the question, consider donating such parts to the cause of Science.  The sooner we have a good supply of fresh limbs and organs, the sooner we can begin essence-harvesting for weaponry construct an artificial super-dwarf make advances that will speed your recovery times.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:22:53 pm by Tevish Szat »
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2011, 09:23:05 pm »

Well, this surely took much longer than I expected. Just a few (dwarven) days left of my turn. More tomorrow.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2011, 03:27:45 pm »

Uggi's journal: Year 8, Opal 11

Plans for the zoo, just beneath the offices. I think I'll place the kennels here too. Sirian was finally brought to the hospital, starving and dehydrated. I doubt he'll survive the slow dwarven healthcare.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Opal 12

Litast has been diagnosed. Both she and Sirian will need crutches to be able to walk again, but the dwarven bureaucracy is known to be especially complicated when it comes to crutches. I doubt they'll ever get out of the hospital alive.

Opal 15

Getting water for our injured seems impossible. Our water source is in the old corridor carved through the ice. The water stays liquid in the stone layer beneath the ice, but freezes when someone tries to carry it in a bucket through the freezing cold corridor. Great. Damn this cursed glacier! Sorry to tell you Sirian and Litast, but you're both screwed. As a last resort I'm ordering their beds deconstructed, the hospital zone cancelled and some food stockpiles placed next to them.

Opal 18

Damn it, they were just moved to another vacant beds. ALL RIGHT, NO BEDS FOR ANYONE. I ordered all accessible beds deconstructed and nobles' bedrooms locked.

Opal 19

It just doesn't work. They are starving to death in the middle of food and booze stockpiles. ARGH.

Opal 20

Fine. As a DOUBLE last resort COMMENCE OPERATION EMERGENCY WELL! I ordered the miners to dig into the aquifer FROM BELOW. This will probably flood the whole fortress.

Meanwhile, the farm animals are fighting. I had reused the large rooms in the surface level as a pasture for all the stray animals. There's not enough moss and fungi for them.

Opal 23

Good, water! Now get the hell out of there before you drown, Mormota!

Opal 24

Litast is holding her giant cave spider silk cap tight in her arms and whispering something incomprehensible. It sounded something like "mmmyyy preeeciiiiioouussss". She's being delirious because of the severe dehydration and starvation. I don't think she's got much time left.

Opal 25

The insanity is spreading. Another kid went all nuts today. He stormed into craftdwarf's workshop, kicked the master stone crafter out and then started to search something.

Opal 26

Success! We've got a water source! The well itself is still under construction, but the water cistern below it is filled with water from the aquifer. It can be used as a water source and the water in the buckets stays liquid! Also, the plumbing works as planned and the fortress wasn't flooded.

The hospital has been opened again, since we've got a water source now. Soap is being made. From CENTIPEDE TALLOW. I still fear it's too late for Sirian and Litast. The well is quite far from the hospital.

Opal 27

Litast just received water. Now she's only starving!

Obsidian 1

They're saved! Both of them have been given water and food!

Phew. All this stress has been giving me unhappy thoughts. Maybe I'll go and store this nice plump helmet into my tomb, that'll make me feel all better.

There. It looks just perfect sitting there on the floor. And the tomb will stink all rotten before I'm even buried here! Now, that damn centipede, it's been bugging in my mind since the day it took my hand. I'm gonna tan its skin. After all, the damn thing is being used as a soap too. Recycling is fun!

Meanwhile that kid started building something mysterious out of a crundle bone. A single bone. I'm sure nothing spectacular will come out of it.

Obsidian 3

I had to get ùshrirössek's skin from the refuse pile outside. I saw my rotten arm there. And Sirian's limbs. And the remains of Lorbam's wife, who was killed by the centipede. Try to think happy thoughts... happy thoughs... happy... thoughts. Only one month and I can retire from this cursed overseer's position.

Obsidian 5

That kid made the crappiest artifact I've ever seen or heard of. A crundle bone amulet. He's a legendary bone carver now. He's five. When he grows up he has probably already forgotten everything about bone crafting.

Obsidian 9

New coffins have been placed into catacombs. The haulers are moving the remains of our dead. I told them to do it in a respectful manner, but someone's spirit was still disturbed in the process. Poor Sarvesh, just wait a few moments, this won't take long.

Obsidian 17

There, there, Sarvesh. Rest in peace again. Oh, we had another ghost too, I never noticed that. Well, Erith was put to rest as well.

Obsidian 19

I've been feeling better since I worked with ùshrirössek's skin. I told Led, our grand master leatherworker to use it to decorate something. I gave him free hands to sew anything he likes.

Obsidian 20

Led made the image and sewed it in a pig tail bag. Blazing suns, yeah! This is placed into my office. Every time that damn centipede bugs my mind, I can kick the bag around. Maybe I'll store some centipede soap in it.

Earlier I had ordered the miners to continue digging down the staircase under the barracks in hope that they would find another cavern. They did!

They reported that there's a nice big gold vein going right through it. Strangely, it looks like nothing grows in this cavern. No fungi or moss of any kind. I'm sending Nix's squad to guard the staircase while the cavern is sealed. Exploring the cavern will be someone else's problem.

Obsidian 24

Tevish's zoo was opened. Sirocco II and his apprentices are still smoothing the place out, but the cages have already been installed. Some animal statues will also be placed there for amusement.

Obsidian 27

The zoo has quickly become a popular hang out place for all the lazy bastards here. (All those question marks = dwarves idling or on break). Also some room schematics for the next overseer, if he likes symmetric design.

Obsidian 28

The cavern we just found has been sealed. The masons did a headcount and confirmed that no-one was left in the caverns. They said they could heard noises from the distance, sounded like troglodytes.

Tevish is diagnosing Sirian. Again and again. Litast is laying in the floor next to a hospital bed, starving again. Something is so wrong with our healthcare.

I'm having bad thoughts again. I'm gonna get my alpaca wool left glove down from that bloody corridor. I know I'm not going to need it anymore, since I've got NO LEFT HAND to put the glove in. I'm still going to get that DAMN glove and HIDE IT under all the stuff in my chests. Yeah.

Think happy thoughts. Haaappy thoughts. Oh, here's one: IT'S FINALLY SPRING! My days of overseering are over. Yay!

All right, that's it! That was fun! Sorry it took this long.

Save file here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4990

Check the hotkeys menu, I've placed some points of interest there.

A new lever was placed here, it controls the bridge shown in the image:

The healthcare is borked. Tevish is diagnosing Sirian again and again and Litast is laying in the floor injured. You might need to deconstruct all the beds again and move the hospital zone somewhere else so they can be rescued again. Don't know if it would work.

It might be good idea to remove them from the military until they're healed. Do crutches even work yet? Activating Sirian's squad makes Litast to go on duty, because she's actually not resting in a bed.

Also, you've got an unhappy captain of the guard there. I might just become the first one to start tantruming. Activating my squad will give more unhappy thoughts. Move the rest of the guards to another squad if you like.

Also, expect goblins and huge migrant waves. I don't think the elves are pissed enough yet to start sieging. Have Fun!

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2011, 04:02:44 pm »

Awesome! Great work saving my Sirian! And yes, crutches do work, but only in certain situations. We'll see if it does for this one. Looks like I/Sirian might've earned an honourable discharge, since it looks like I've only got one working arm, and it takes forever to train crutches up. And if I don't get a crutch, well, I'm boned. Stick me doing something easy, heh. I look forward to playing the grizzled war vet (who only fought a little bit).
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2011, 04:18:30 pm »

The best way to get past borked healthcare and failure to hand out crutches is to enable all medical labors on a couple dwarves, and put a few containers (coffers are probably best) in the hospital so crutches will be claimed as "hospital crutches" and given to patients (make all stockpiles refuse crutches if you have to).  I don't question *why* that works, but it has for me before.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2011, 05:00:57 pm »

I was sure they would die before I could get the new well constructed. But it was done surprisingly quickly, and filling it from the aquifer without screw pumps was easier than I thought. I did test the design first in another fortress though, I didn't want to flood this one.

The problems Tevish had with the well before might have been because of the ice corridor where the well was built. Dwarves could drink straight from the water source one level below, but if they used the well, the water in the well's bucket would froze?

I think there are some crutches in the hospital chests. Let's see if Sirian ever gets out of the diagnose loop first.

That cavern without any vegetation, I've never seen anything like that. Is it because of the lower cavern was found first?

I purposely avoided touching the mess that is the dining room/dormitory, forgot the common people and went all for the nobles.

Sirocco is a professional engraver already. He could start doing some nice engravings about dehydrated and dismembered dwarves. The rest of the engravers are not so skilled yet.

That plump helmet in my tomb and tanning the centipede skin, I didn't plan them. I was wondering why my dwarf was heading into the catacombs carrying a plump helmet. Then he went to tan the centipede skin. That was a WTF moment. And Shade discovering those first two adamantine veins, that was spooky. Those damn dorfs.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2011, 05:03:04 pm »

I've seen a "dead" cave before.  Really weird  the time I saw it, it was the first cavern breached.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2011, 05:26:03 pm »

ohhh don't worry, i'm going to spot far more than "just" adamantine...ohohoooo >.>
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2011, 10:05:00 am »

Enjoyable turn, I liked it a lot. Also sent a PM to The Master.

Edit: We are going to wait until Saturday. If he does not check in until then, I will contact the next player in line.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 03:39:51 am by Mormota »
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2011, 09:35:02 am »

I'd really hate to miss out on Sirocco II... bumping this just in case visibility helps.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2011, 10:17:31 am »

Having only just Discovered this Succession (I tend to Read things Monotopically :P);

I suppose youre not still Dorfing People in to your Sprawling Ice Hole of Death, at this Late Stage?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:23:35 am by Chilton »
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2011, 10:48:49 am »

Yes, and you may even ask for a turn!
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2011, 11:08:35 am »

Yes, and you may even ask for a turn!

Alrighty - Dorf me as a Medical Based Dwarf (Preferably a Surgeon, but if thats not Possible, any will do.); If there are no Medical Dwarves available (Im sure there are) - An Engraver will do. Going by the name; Shane.
Consider Shane to be Eerily Calm. As in, too Calm. Emotionless. Feelingless. But oddly interested in everything. And everyone. Thats the best way I can explain it.
To put that in Context, hes the type of Dwarf youd be *slightly* unsettled by, and who lays Awake. All Night. Staring at the Ceiling. That kind of Dwarf, who might run off and Craftsdwarf someones Body Parts into a Masterpiece at any second.

And if this Fortress actually Survives long enough, I wouldnt mind a Turn :)

EDIT: Also, Shane is a MALE Name. Just thought id throw that in there.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:11:17 am by Chilton »
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2011, 01:43:18 am »

So sorry! My computer is dead, so I can't play! This sucks.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2011, 04:14:20 am »

Do you want me to add you to the end of the turn list?

Edit: Sent a PM to the next overseer.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:16:12 am by Mormota »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24