Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: Frozenvictims 2.0 - Terrifying Glacier succession fort  (Read 30069 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: Frozenvictims 2.0 - Terrifying Glacier succession fort
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2011, 01:00:33 pm »

After mauling an axedwarf, our werewolf problem decides it isn’t that angry and commences operation “Run away howling.”  Our remaining fighters commence operation “Kill the thing before it comes back” and give chase.

A ghost then starts chasing… the werewolf?  Our soldiers?  Whatever the case these paranormal shenanigains are getting a bit absurd.

Finally, as someone tells me about the ghost I already know is out there, one of our soldiers manages to kill the beast

I wanted it captured alive so I could examine its still working organs, but I’ll still reward the killer with a lifetime of free medical treatment… whether she wants it or not.
I’d order myself a hospital, but our worthless miners haven’t even managed my PREVIOUS order yet, so that might just be out of the question.  We didn’t lose any military to the werewolf directly, but some could succumb to their wounds.

Elves show.  I know many dwarves dislike them, but how many have ever seen an elf?  They truly are beautiful creatures, once you come to know them.  On their vascular systems alone, I could write volumes, and their ability to remain lucid during operations without the aid of pain-killers or even simple booze?  Simply astounding.  I suspect my research into the matter may have been part of my assignment here, some nonsense about diplomatic immunity.  I maintain I did her no harm!  Had I not been interrupted, even such a graceful, beautiful creature could have been improved through the application of surgical skills.
But I digress.  We need a trade depot, preferably inside the gates this time
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2011, 01:24:15 pm »

ha! i made the work slow down! i'm smart. and i raised GHOSTS to show them off. They didn't get scared. buggers. I just hope they'll haunt the place and throw things around. THE SHADOW will destroy this pathetic fortress...one DWARF AT A TIME. the elves are coming! let's sprout DISSENSE.
*chatter on how elves are whimps and useless and stupid increases tenfold in the fortress...*
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 01:31:40 pm »

While I wait, our wounded (I thought at first) expire from thirst,  I order some coffins set up, and more produced as I find that our well is swarmed by simple, thirsty dwarves and our booze production line is fine, but clearly inefficient. I also note HEALTHY dwarves at the well are not ascending to obtain booze, and are instead hopelessly crowding around it.  Initially, it would appear what I was among those to perish

But really, that vessel was unfortunately pudgy, and I am not one to underestimate the utility of a brain-transplant case.

(It looks like we'll probably lose 3 more to the well 'o doom, maybe less if one of the dehydrated actually gets priority to drink, but no one important in any case.  Weavers.  I have NO IDEA why healthy dwarves are even using the well when we have plenty of booze, but I suspect it has to do with the long distance between the farms/brewery/booze stockpile and the current living area.  Going to work on getting booze to the depths if we don't ALL die of thirst beside the well.)

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 01:38:48 pm »

marvelous. MARVELOUS. i killed one by infecting his wounds with powder and fungis...and then i killed that damn overseer and three other dwarves. But he managed to come back with a brain transplant. He died of thirst, like the others...he will never guess i've been redirecting the booze drinkers to the well by telling them that the booze finishes BEFORE they actually get to it. AH! nice to see...nice...really nice. mwawhuahuahau *creepy laughs are heard everywhere once more*
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2011, 02:14:03 pm »

I order Shade to remove the cursed well ‘o doom, as about a dozen dwarves were crowding around it again.  Once it was gone, they all started getting drinks – admittedly from the water pool that the well had been built over, but at least they’re drinking and not dying of thirst.

(you should have seen it before the well went away – thirsty dwarves on every surrounding square!)

Now that that unpleasantness is done with, it’s time to diagnose this fortress.  Every last dwarf is terminally insane.  Drinking water – nay, failing to drink water?  I’d export my brain case in the next caravan If I thought that would make a difference, but out here on the ice, it’s going to take a better escape plan than that.  The moans of the dying still echo in this place, a malevolent presence seeking to destroy us at every turn.  Even in their tombs I fear that the dead to not, will not rest easily.  Flesh, yes, we have quite a lot of flesh, and it is rebelling against me!  But I am a doctor, I repair and maintain the flesh.  I make people better, and excise the diseased tissues.  I shall let the blood of this fortress flow and cut away its sickened fringe until only a healthy body remains.
In unrelated news, we finished the butcher’s shop and tannery.

(All those coffins are full, but that's the extent of our losses so far -- eight dwarves during my reign so far, three that were rotting in the refuse pile before.  Current population: 32 unhappy teetotalers I'm working on shoving off the wagon)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 03:31:24 pm »

7 Malachite – More migrants, 7 in all who didn’t seem to realize that once they were in Frozenvictims they were either farmers, masons, or both.  To commemorate the event, I order a new outer wall constructed, with a grand bridge that will be linked to a lever in the depths, one that can be pulled without walking all the way to the very bridge it operates.

In the meantime, I also intend to continue the previous overseer’s plan to dig deeper into the ground here.  The burning blood of Armok calls to me, I feel it my duty to discover its hiding place.  Though we could certainly use more miners, I will have to make due with the two I have.

1 Limestone – it seems that no news is good news here in Frozenvictims.  Progress on the Ice Wall goes about as planned, while the exploratory shaft’s progress is… slow.  I’ve told both our miners to stop hauling and mine.  Despite the heroic results of its previous use, I’ve also insisted Shade not practice masonry while there’s mining to be done.

3 Limestone – We’re out of wood.  This could be trouble  Assuming we manage to trade with the dwarven caravan (we do have a new depot), we should be able to fix the problem and get our beds and bins rolling

13 Limestone – Our miners have found another layer of caverns.  I’ve been forced to reroute their dig for magma, but this is good – provided we can get the place sealed off.

19 Limestone – Success.

The uses of magma are almost as limitless as the uses of conventional flesh and blood.  As reluctant as my fellows are to mine near it, I shall begin carving a space for our industries.

7 Sandstone – More migrants.  Flesh and bone for my great purpose.  Our population is up to 48, but my miners are being exceptionally useless – both of them have decided to take breaks.

20 Sandstone – Another Werewolf decided to be a problem.  Time to send out the militia.  After chasing it in circles for a while, Onol Wiltedhall again brings it down, before any other milita members manage to even arrive on scene, without any wounds

I know I didn’t exactly care for the previous one dying, but now that it’s clear it won’t be my only chance, I am quite fine with her destroying those that arrive before we are prepared to cage them.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2011, 04:40:01 pm »

Caravan!  And a diplomat too.  I intend to request as much wood as possible, with a second consideration towards a variety of seeds – some dwarves are getting unhappy with just dwarven wine, and we can’t grow anything but plump helmets fast enough.  I order our trash brought to the depot.

It’s going to take some dwarfpower.  As long as we don’t have any interruptions, though, the goods should get to the depot and-

Of course.  I build a clothier’s shop in the old overseer’s big omnipurpose room (how I loathe that place) because I’d used all the northward-opening shops in my crafts row and wouldn’t have to wait for the lazy miners that way.   Production of an artifact should soon be underway.  It had better be good.  My broker, Nix, being “otherwise engaged” counting every stone in the mountain for the fifth time, I authorize anyone to trade and give the caravan all our junk for wood, booze, and some random scraps of cloth just in case our clothier needs them.  Seems a fair trade, though the merchants were pleased which is never a good sign for the deal.
It seems I didn’t need the cloth

It’s a fine waistcoat, I suppose, but I swear it’s mocking me, especially with a name like that.
I’ve ordered our ill-gotten gains from the last caravan brought inside, and some cage traps constructed around the bridge.  I want a werewolf to study… or perhaps another elf.  I also order nix to finally meet with our diplomat.  I order wood and non-plump-helmet seeds at the highest priority.

18 Obsidian – Our diplomat left, and had this to say to me upon doing so
“I know who you are, or did you think taking someone else’s body with your surgery would fool anyone?  When next the caravan comes, you had best be mending the wounded to exactly how they were before, and nothing else.  This isn’t your fortress, Szat, it’s your prison, and we aren’t about to let you run it.”

He must have found the brain cylinder.  It’s safe, and I’ve moved it to a more hidden location.  All the same, I should probably give up the formal reins of power.  I’ve ordered the future hospital carved

and begun again on my plans for the magma industries

but on the new year, another overseer will start calling the shots.

Frozenvictims – End of Tevish Szat’s Year

Save will be up soon.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 04:59:31 pm »

And here's the Save.

Notes to future overseers:
1) The magma industry dig designation is going to constantly cancel due to warm stone, since it's directly above magma.  If you can turn off the warning, all currently designated digging IS perfectly safe.
2) The wall is complete, and the lever to close the wall-gate is the dark red (kalonite) one in the living area/Omni-purpose room
3) There are three burrows for your conveinence: Gate, Home, and Magma Industries.  They serve no purpose other than to be zoomed in on to get to one of the sticking points of the fortress quickly.
4) Hostile wildlife is going to be a problem: some ice wolves killed one of our dogs just before spring arrived, and I've spotted both cavern life (including a GCS) and magma life (nothing too terrifying so far...) on the units list.  Don't open anything without being ready for what may be on the other side.  Maybe build a kennels and use it to our advantage?
5) Drink variety is going to be a problem: I think we MIGHT be producing a few "other" crops, but basically we've got nothing but plump helmets.  Consider grabbing some elven booze to stave off bad thoughts, and those seeds I ordered when fall comes around.
6) Lastly, consider putting a big Ice roof over the outer yard/refuse stockpile, so that you can wall in against flying enemies and still not choke on miasma.

Good luck, you'll probably need it.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 10:23:26 pm »

Sign me up and dorf me as Sirian, please!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 03:45:13 am »

MWAUHAUAHU what marvelous thing dissense IS! miners i order to take breaks do so.
I reap hell, and i possessed a clothier to make the overseer crumble under a mad dwarf. UNLUCKILY he had what was needed. But i did name it happily. NOW IT'S the time to LAUGH FOR DEATH WILL COME TO ALL
*histerical laughings are heard everywhere once more.*
"it's the wind i suppose" muttered one dwarf.
"nah, " said SHADE "it's a demon from the deep pits of hell who will certainly come and eat us alive if we dig too down the magma sea"
"oh...and the magma crabs?"
"they're everywhere"
"...we're all going to die?"
"precisely. go and be sad somewhere else however. i have work to do" *and shade went for another break and a drink

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 05:47:09 am »

And here's the Save.
Ah, my turn already! DFFD seems to be down at the moment, I'll try downloading the save later.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 06:50:43 am »

And here's the Save.
Ah, my turn already! DFFD seems to be down at the moment, I'll try downloading the save later.
again? What is up with that site? It just keeps going down!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 07:29:22 am »

Ok, it works now, got the save.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 10:56:09 am »

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:25:43 am by Mormota »
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 12:36:30 pm »

my plan to keep idiots out from the stockpiles of booze is working. they all die like idiots running around. three more deaths, all for the glory of THE SHADOW!.
"because i am the SHADE! i have completed this marvelous ROOM!" *laughs as he goes on digging somewhere else*
i give stupid ideas in the mind of the idiots. so they won't build useful artifacts of sorts. and terrible nightmares in the head of the carvers, so only figurines of death and doom will go around...i didn't manage a diplomatic incident...yet.
BUT SOON THE SHADOW WILL RULE THE WORLD!
everything is there...at least...most of it...we just need...a certain hollistic...yup.
but maybe we will dig deep enough...oh yeah.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24