Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: How Close are we to the Next Release?  (Read 19739 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: How Close are we to the Next Release?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 07:36:09 pm »

I'm sorry if what I say is disrespectfull to everyone here, especially programmers.

But I came to the conclusion that Toady One is like Notch. And I mean exactly like notch.

Except ironically Notch is the faster of the two.
Alright, you've got my attention. Name one way in which Tarn Adams is anything like Markus Persson. One. I dare you. One. I'm listening.

They are both English-speaking, caucasian, human males that create independent video games, where mining is a pivotal feature, which are distributed through the internet and have a devoted fanbase.

That's 8.
You got me.

Alright Rooster, these are taken. Your turn.

Both of them like to develop games based on Tarn's ideas.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 07:53:05 pm »

I've never really found Minecraft to be all that similar to Dwarf Fortress.. At least not anymore then XCom is similar to Half-Life 2 (which is not to compare quality or depth but rather to state they have a few similar features but the games themselves are wildly different).

As for the release, I am always wrong with these things but like others based on the past few posts I'd assume late this month or early next month at the earliest, and possibly a little longer to hammer out game breaking bugs (Which in the end make for the best stories).

There are lots of things in this release which sound awesome but as somebody who only plays Fortress Mode I am more looking forward to more major changes in how trade is done (particularly with the caravan, which right now can easily become the "I win" button of sorts) and in the far future the army arc.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 03:02:39 am »

Guys, he's obviously a troll.
Please don't feed him, and let it go.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 05:46:01 am »

Dorf is right. I am trolling.
But that doesn't mean I don't have a point.
Notch does have more updates per year than Tarn.
And I've seen a huge similarity in their development practices.
They obviously are better on thinking where the development has to go than on programming in any efficient time frame.
Tarn does updates 2-3 times a week, and I'm really getting frustrated that he does things other than Army arc.
I'm trollin cause I want army arc. Simple as that.
Army arc is being made like what? 2-4 years?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 06:03:48 am »

Dorf is right. I am trolling.
But that doesn't mean I don't have a point.
Notch does have more updates per year than Tarn.
And I've seen a huge similarity in their development practices.
They obviously are better on thinking where the development has to go than on programming in any efficient time frame.
Tarn does updates 2-3 times a week, and I'm really getting frustrated that he does things other than Army arc.
I'm trollin cause I want army arc. Simple as that.
Army arc is being made like what? 2-4 years?

Its unknown for the army arc timeframe.

The only really safe thing that can be said, is that Release 3 will probably be started before the year is out.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 10:57:59 am »

Notch: Millions on his bank account, staff of people helping him.
Toady: His brother and around 3k a month.

Minecraft - Adventure Update: Three new critters, experience system that does nothing, some cosmetic changes, villages without NPCs, Dungeons.

Dwarf Fortress, next update: Vampires, werewolves, mummies, zombies and skeletons are back, necromancers, 8 new animals from the donation drive, each one of them completely different from each other. Whole cities, complete with NPCs, furniture traceable on the world gen, sewers, catacombs, dungeons, interactions as an adventurer...

Can you really compare them?

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 11:54:48 am »

I agree with the don't play into it.  Honestly the discussion has been had countless times.  Both games are, IMO, great but to discuss them and compare them is pointless as the games themselves, and circumstances surrounding the games, are completely different.

However, because I simply cannot resist, to play Minecraft I had to pay for it, real live money, and that implies a certain degree of responsibility on the creator to follow up on their promises (not that countless game developers haven't of course.. MoO3.. Breaker of Hearts).  To play Dwarf Fortress you simply have to download it and play it, costs you nothing, zero.  Now of course this doesn't mean you don't have the right to comment or heck even complain about it, if people didn't there would be no feedback to make changes to the game that can take it to better places.

That said once its clear what you want either isn't happening (*cough*urinefeces*cough*) or what you want isn't happening any time soon (sadly, the Army arc, which I too am looking forward to more than anything else on the table) you can either accept it and move on or stop playing and come back later when it is done.  You have no right to complain beyond that point, it becomes disrespectful and useless.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 12:02:52 pm »

I agree with the don't play into it.  Honestly the discussion has been had countless times.  Both games are, IMO, great but to discuss them and compare them is pointless as the games themselves, and circumstances surrounding the games, are completely different.

However, because I simply cannot resist, to play Minecraft I had to pay for it, real live money, and that implies a certain degree of responsibility on the creator to follow up on their promises (not that countless game developers haven't of course.. MoO3.. Breaker of Hearts).  To play Dwarf Fortress you simply have to download it and play it, costs you nothing, zero.  Now of course this doesn't mean you don't have the right to comment or heck even complain about it, if people didn't there would be no feedback to make changes to the game that can take it to better places.

That said once its clear what you want either isn't happening (*cough*urinefeces*cough*) or what you want isn't happening any time soon (sadly, the Army arc, which I too am looking forward to more than anything else on the table) you can either accept it and move on or stop playing and come back later when it is done.  You have no right to complain beyond that point, it becomes disrespectful and useless.

Your post laid down some phat wisdom.  That said, my main takeaway from it is that (*cough*urinefeces*cough*) should be a standard self-interruption, regardless of context(*cough*urinefeces*cough*) .

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 12:28:51 pm »

See you say that now, but I'll bet the moment you get to a funeral, wedding, or speech to elementary school students about the values of friendship you bail.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 01:50:34 pm »

See you say that now, but I'll bet the moment you get to a funeral, wedding, or speech to elementary school students about the values of friendship you bail.

Considering that my most recent wedding speech involved 5 minutes of me comparing their marriage to a "bowl of awesome," all ad-libbed, I'd say my response would have to be

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.S. The first thing that comes to mind of me giving advice to elementary school kids is when I told one they should "Run into the middle of the street," just before getting elbowed by the person next to me.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 03:23:35 pm »

If you mean finished everything he was planning for this release? then he is months off
Quote from: Development Page
Caravan Arc Releases
    * Release 1
          o Better town maps involving workshops/markets/shops based on world gen economic activities

Isn't that all in now?  I don't think we've had so much info on shops and markets, but they are mentioned in the page linked above (which references DF talk 15).

Yeah. The bulk of the city creation part appears to have been finished in less than three weeks. Then the new city design led to temples, sewers and catacombs. These in turn led to secrets and curses. These led to the undead rewrite. This led to necromancers. This led to the night creatures rewrite. This led to vampires and werewolves. And all this had brought their own added features, such as townspeople recognizing people not aging and cults. And on top of all this there were the sponsorship animals, which brought their own new features such as the breath attack rewrite.
Toady gets sidetracked easily.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 04:13:24 pm »

Notch: Millions on his bank account, staff of people helping him.
Toady: His brother and around 3k a month.

Minecraft - Adventure Update: Three new critters, experience system that does nothing, some cosmetic changes, villages without NPCs, Dungeons.

Dwarf Fortress, next update: Vampires, werewolves, mummies, zombies and skeletons are back, necromancers, 8 new animals from the donation drive, each one of them completely different from each other. Whole cities, complete with NPCs, furniture traceable on the world gen, sewers, catacombs, dungeons, interactions as an adventurer...

Can you really compare them?
Exactly.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Weaselcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 06:32:16 pm »

I just wish toady would give the community updates more. Even if he just says he fixed some boring bugs, it still reminds us that he's actually working on something. 1-2 a week isn't enough. :(

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 06:49:34 pm »

I'm sorry if what I say is disrespectfull to everyone here, especially programmers.

But I came to the conclusion that Toady One is like Notch. And I mean exactly like notch.

Except ironically Notch is the faster of the two.
Alright, you've got my attention. Name one way in which Tarn Adams is anything like Markus Persson. One. I dare you. One. I'm listening.
Markus is the guy who makes Minecraft, right?
Both go mainly by odd nicknames among their fanbase and are making sandbox-style games in which you defend yourself against fiendish monsters and build massive structures. Both also have caverns, magma, and a physical hell. There, about four similarities.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 02:09:50 pm »

So, complaining is cool, I get it. I mean, it would be awfully neat to wake up tomorrow to a new release of DF.
That having been said...
Isn't it a little strange that people are essentially bitching about Tarn adding -more- features into this release than he originally may have planned to?

I mean, seriously, the whole concept of 'interactions' is F-ing huge. We have vampires and werewolves and necromancers. I can wait a couple extra months for my Dwarf Mode Tavern.

And as has been hinted at earlier... If you think this is bad, when he gets into real economy simulation time between releases is going to balloon like mad... Unless Tarn already has some really, really, good ideas on how to abstract some things, that will be a huge dev-time sink.

So maybe it's just really nice that we're getting some fluffy fun features on this releases before we enter the long dark that will be economic simulation.

Again, not saying 'shut up and stop whining,' just trying to help you look on the bright side...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8