Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chimeric templates  (Read 1128 times)

Marek14

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chimeric templates
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:57:06 am »

I was wondering if it would be useful to have free mix-n-match chimeras.

Examples would be:

Griffins:
Combination of bird and mammal (of comparable size). Can eat anything that either part can eat (has two-stage digestive system), but the bird part is dominant and will mostly pick food based on its own preferences.
Example griffins:
Sparrow/rat
Parrot/cat
Hawk/wolf
Penguin/dolphin

Merfolk:
Generic merfolk is a combination of humanoid and fish (could also have mer-animals as mammal/fish). Only certain kinds of fish are available (those with long bodies), so no rays, for example. Different kinds of merfolk for rivers/oceans/underground lakes, as they are different kinds of fish. Possibility of marine merfolks based on sharks.

Alternate merfolk:
Instead of fish, this template would use cephalopods. These have upper body of a humanoid which replaces the head of a cephalopod. Possible lower parts include octopuses, squids, cuttlefish and for large species, krakens. Even another kind of merfolk might use a gigantic starfish as the lower half.

Centaurs:
Humanoid torso replacing a head of a mammal. Real-myth centaurs use hooved mammals, but there could easily be centaurs with body of, say, lion. There are selkies, which are basically human/seal centaurs. Alternate template might use other creatures as base, like lizards or even arthropods. I'd like to see a giant centipede centaur, for example.

Harpies:
Humanoid head and chest replacing those of a bird.

Snaketails:
Anything with a mammal tail can have it replaced by a snake. If the "main" head is cut off, the body can't move anymore, bud the snake still can. Cutting off the snake's head will only kill the snake.

Metapedes:
Reptiles or mammals stretched in a horizontal directions with extra pairs of forelegs added. There could be an antelope metapede with, say, ten pairs of forelegs and one pair of hind legs.

Jimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chimeric templates
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 05:31:45 am »

Do you mean to make modding easier? 'cause virtually all the above can be done already by changing raws with the exception of a "split-able" creature ala Snaketail suggestion which i think is an excellent idea btw.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:38:24 am »

Me too,all of the creatures you said are possible,except for their magical powers,we just need to wait toady "create" them of the official Dwarf fortress
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:28:38 pm by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:22:16 am »

Toady thought about this and he WANTS to impliment it but here is the thing

It would take a month or longer JUST to add the code that allows Chimeras.

While I am all for it, I already polled people on if they thought it was an acceptible use of time (lets just say, most people would rather have lots of features in a short amount of time... then one small feature in a long period of time.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:52:26 pm »

I like the general concept. Especially if it involves procedural generation of chimeric creatures. Imagine a badger man/carp merfolk: They remember 40d, and want revenge! Or the ludicrous minotaur-headed cat-bodied minocataur, or a roc/dragon griffinesque hybrid as a megabeast, or a magical ritual to combine goblins with rabbits for punishment, or what-have-you. But it can wait until Toady has time.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.