Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gladiator System  (Read 1234 times)

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gladiator System
« on: September 06, 2011, 05:56:59 pm »

So, I doubt this idea hasn't been suggested, but either way i think it would be interesting. Essentially the idea is a gladiator system, utilizing arenas that you designate as such. For fighters, perhaps there could be an option to use dwarves who have been unruly and are currently imprisoned, to be put into the system. As well, captured goblins, and other humanoids could be put in. Ideally, I think it would work best if there was a team system (Ie, you assign Dwarf A, and Dwarf B to team red, who have to fight team blue consisting of Goblin A, and Goblin B. ). Or perhaps even it could be mixed up with goblins and dwarves being on the same team, but I'm not sure if that would work lore-wise (with goblins being cruel creatures, would they work with a dwarf if forced to?). Although I only used two teams for an example, I don't think it should be limited to that, maybe throw in a couple colors and have a few options to show who they are friendly or hostile with (ie, there are 3 teams, Red, Blue, Green. Red is friendly with Bue but not with Green, making Red and Green possible competitors).

Also, captured creatures could also be used, but I don't think an team system should be used for them, ideally they should fight everything else in the arena (besides being friendly to their own kin). Just a few more thoughts, to add to the spectacle of the arena, maybe dwarves who are in the vicinity of the fight could get a happy/sad thought at the spectacle of bloodshed, dependent on their view of violence. And finally, when other civilizations in the world interacting with your fort on a bigger scale gets established, perhaps other fighters from around the world could hear about the glory of your Colosseum and come to fight against your best for the glory of their nation (Possibly triggered when the area you designate as your arena becomes worth however much or some other mechanic like that).

Let me know what you think, critiques and comments are welcome. I've also posted it on the Eternal Suggestion Thread
(Shameless Advertising) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php#vote132
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:45:43 pm by Mercenare »

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
Re: Gladiator System
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:46:23 pm »

maybe the idea of gladiators coming to fight could be triggered by X number of fights occur in that arena, and it has Y value. Like the idea, it would make it a bit easier for training my squads in live training.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:40:35 am »

I like the idea of gladiators and arenas,nobles like king or generals should demmand an oppulent arena,and dwarves could place bets on gladiators.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:25:36 am »

I like the idea of gladiators and arenas,nobles like king or generals should demmand an oppulent arena,and dwarves could place bets on gladiators.

It sort of heavily depends on the society with to how the Gladiator arena is used (Which is essentially... an arena...)

To my knowledge the Arenas were just as much for the general populous as it was for the nobility. So it would actually be asked upon by the general populous.

MIND YOU... proper Gladiator arenas seem a bit much for a Dwarven Fortress given that it is a fort with 100 elite members of society and not a city.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:24:33 pm »

Somehow, even though IRL arenas and theaters were intended for audiences much larger than what DF can handle without requiring a mercy-kill for your computer, I like the idea of gladiator arenas. They're just so iconic in fantasy literature.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:46:56 pm »

Somehow, even though IRL arenas and theaters were intended for audiences much larger than what DF can handle without requiring a mercy-kill for your computer, I like the idea of gladiator arenas. They're just so iconic in fantasy literature.

Exactly, so although the audiences might not be to scale, I think if a majority of the fort was present for the battle, it would still give a feel for a classic gladiator arena.