Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Leather Whips  (Read 9157 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Leather Whips
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 02:54:01 pm »

tie a prisoner to long rope then throw him on a carp infested aquarium.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 03:33:24 pm »

There have been similar forms of execution where they really did leave the opportunity to survive open intentionally.

Usually that was on the assumption that your survival meant God was stepping in to vouch for your innocence, so they really went out of their way to make sure it was realistically impossible (like the rope breaking three times in a row at a hanging). Survival had to be proof of divine intercession, not dumb luck or sheer toughness.

It isn't a "Awsome" alternative to relatively harmless flogging... It is a form of execution or severe maiming.

In early Australia (and presumably elsewhere) flogging was often a form of execution, colonial overseers had no authority to summarily execute convicts without trial, but they did have authority to order floggings whenever they felt like it. Troublesome convicts could simply be given 200 lashes, which was an almost certain death sentence. In Russia they used a Great-Knout instead of a cat'o'nine, where a single lash meant permanent maiming and anything upwards of 10 lashes could be considered a death sentence. Floggings really sucked, is what I'm saying, and aren't really much better than a half-dozen strikes with a hammer.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:39:11 pm by Dynastia »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 05:01:08 pm »

Of course, even taking all of this into consideration the question of whether a whip would be at all useful in combat is still open. I doubt that it would be very useful against an armored opponent, and if you did have a whip heavy enough to effectively threaten an armored opponent you would probably be better off hitting them with a chain or something instead.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

KharBevNor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 02:19:17 pm »

I always imagined goblins were swinging chains, or rather something like this.

It might be nice to allow leather whips to give more options for non-metal weapons (cudgels and stone clubs should be a possibility as well). Perhaps balance out their weakness against armour by giving them a chance to entangle or disarm? That might make some of the more primitive animal men civilisations more dangerous.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 01:07:48 pm »

Hammering is way more dwarfy but it should be in such way that victim doesnt die

Actually Hammering works by a sort of "Trial by Fire" principle in that you are meant to die but if you do survive you were somehow meant to.

There have been similar forms of execution where they really did leave the opportunity to survive open intentionally.

It isn't a "Awsome" alternative to relatively harmless flogging... It is a form of execution or severe maiming.
Hmm you're right. Now we need a justice system with judge and court to decide whether crime is to be punished with lashing or capital punishment

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 04:51:44 am »

...dude, I like the idea, but seriously, research your shit. Being lashed was lethal as all fuck-off, man. Still is. Lash somebody too much? Too bad, now they're dead. Lashers who were ordered to give somebody twenty strokes with the whip would count to a number just a few below the actually ordered amount of lashings, just on the off-chance they miscounted and needed some leeway to make sure they didn't kill the victim.
It depends on the whip.  There's a huge difference between a leather bullwhip or a bone or metal tipped scourge and a cloth cat-o'-nine-tails or knittles.  The latter could be used far more times without killing or crippling a man and were the preferred instrument in naval punishment.

I cannot imagine a human being that could survive 100 lashes.
Believe it or not, the British army used to allow over a thousand lashes in dire cases, and multiple hundreds of lashes weren't uncommon at some points in history.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 04:55:08 am »

Believe it or not, the British army used to allow over a thousand lashes in dire cases, and multiple hundreds of lashes weren't uncommon at some points in history.

There's a part in Candide where Candide gets captured by British military and is given the choice between execution, and a number of lashes that was so great as to be absurd... so I can see that being historically true, and pretty preposterous in its own time.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 05:05:56 am »

[There's a part in Candide where Candide gets captured by British military and is given the choice between execution, and a number of lashes that was so great as to be absurd... so I can see that being historically true, and pretty preposterous in its own time.
Note that people often lived through hundreds of lashes -- after some serious recovery time.
Also, it was pretty common to clean the wounds with saltwater in the navy.  Ouch.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 10:28:23 am »

[There's a part in Candide where Candide gets captured by British military and is given the choice between execution, and a number of lashes that was so great as to be absurd... so I can see that being historically true, and pretty preposterous in its own time.
Note that people often lived through hundreds of lashes -- after some serious recovery time.
Also, it was pretty common to clean the wounds with saltwater in the navy.  Ouch.

It probably would help to prevent infection though.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 03:28:02 pm »

I feel like there should be a "kinky" attribute for dwarves wherein, where flogging as a punishment is a sad thought for other dwarves, it's a happy thought for a certain subset of dwarves.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 12:41:11 am »

There is a major difference between whipping for pleasure and flogging for punishment.
People who enjoy being beaten to the point of months-long recovery and permanent, crippling injury are very rare.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 02:38:21 am »

I woul rather have punishments moddable for entities:

[CRIME:MINOR:JAIL:CAGE]
[CRIME:MINOR:JAIL:JAIL]
[CRIME:MINOR:JAIL:STOCKS]
[CRIME:MAJOR:BEAT:HAMMER:10]
[CRIME:MAJOR:BEAT:WHIP:40]
[CRIME:MAJOR:BEAT:2HSWORD:EXECUTION]
[CRIME:MAJOR:EXILE]

I imagine humas would do the whipping while dwarves would keep hammers...

I feel like there should be a "kinky" attribute for dwarves wherein, where flogging as a punishment is a sad thought for other dwarves, it's a happy thought for a certain subset of dwarves.

SM does not work that way...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 03:03:28 am »

There is a major difference between whipping for pleasure and flogging for punishment.
People who enjoy being beaten to the point of months-long recovery and permanent, crippling injury are very rare.

Yeah for the most part "Kinky" things produce mostly superficial pain. Causing cuts and bruises. While a step up from there, more extreme, are just bleeding cuts that don't go too deep. (In fact as far as I am aware the entire goal of SM is to inflict pain without injury or risk of injury.)

Flogging outright slices up tissue and muscle. It is more akin to flaying. Even with modern medicine a flogging would be devistating on the human body.

Any person who would find pleasure in that... would be the same kind of person who enjoys being shot, having their limbs broken, and beaten half to death. It is MUCH less "Kinky" and more "They have a severe mental problem" in a similar way that people who can't feel pain have a serious problem.

I imagine humas would do the whipping while dwarves would keep hammers

Humans had a wide variety of punishments as well the punishment systems were often VERY skewed towards execution and extreme punishment. One of the major differences between the justice system now and only 100-200 years ago is the amount of crimes that are considered "serious".

Jail itself was horrible (yeah you had a good chance of dying there too). Dwarf Fortress Jail is practically luxurious (though given its use, perhaps that is the point. Fortress Jails may not actually be intended to be like a normal jail, but a less harmful one. Which to admit some castles had rather tollerable jails compared to city jails)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 10:01:11 pm »

Yeah for the most part "Kinky" things produce mostly superficial pain. Causing cuts and bruises. While a step up from there, more extreme, are just bleeding cuts that don't go too deep. (In fact as far as I am aware the entire goal of SM is to inflict pain without injury or risk of injury.)

Flogging outright slices up tissue and muscle. It is more akin to flaying. Even with modern medicine a flogging would be devistating on the human body.

Any person who would find pleasure in that... would be the same kind of person who enjoys being shot, having their limbs broken, and beaten half to death...

What about the kind of person who cuts themself (which is far more common than the examples you have given while still being something with the potential to cause permanent injury or death)
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 12:25:35 am »

What about the kind of person who cuts themself

It is very controlled relatively and much less risky then the examples I given (well except I guess controlled breakings).

Also often the people who do that are actually suffering from actual problems (rather then just being Kinky).

Flogging is still MUCH more severe then even cutting yourself and unlikely to be enjoyed by any ordinary practitioner.
Pages: 1 [2] 3