Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Leather Whips  (Read 9143 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Leather Whips
« on: September 05, 2011, 11:48:11 pm »

One of the things that stood out to me as odd while playing was that all whips were made from weapons-grade metal and used for actual combat -- a whip is a device primarily for punishment against unarmored victims!

It would be nice if dwarves could create leather whips for their fortress guard to dispense lashes as punishment.  A leather whip would do very little actual damage, but possibly give a worse thought ("Has been given lashes recently" or something) than the standard beating.  Naturally, not a useful weapon for standard military combat, but a decent one for a force intended to deliver punishment, not repel invaders.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leather Whips
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 01:43:44 am »

That would be pretty cool, and much better than having to give your sheriff a cotton candy hammer just to keep the legendary craftsman casualties down. :)
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 03:00:29 am »

I certainly agree with the whipping as punishment, but it should still work through the normal damage system I think. So you would have lots of bruising, bleeding and some "muscle cut open" wounds. As long as you have a working hospital, those will get cleaned and fixed up quickly. Otherwise you'll have death penalty by infection.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 04:29:59 am »

Agreed, but you left out the primary use of whips ; keeping animals at bay. It would be awesome if whips had a cracker that caused large unintelligent animals to back away confused and usually forgo their attack for a turn ; so that a 3-dorf team of one lasher and two spearmen would make for a nearly-unstoppable animal control team. Maybe it could even have a chance to panic some goblin mounts.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 04:38:16 am »

I like it.  It has less uses as a weapon and more as a torture tool.  However, since it lacks the arm breaking abilities of its metallic cousins, the leather whip should have more pain inducing ability, capable of causing intense pain in the victim within a few lashes. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 07:07:07 am »

It would be nice if dwarves could create leather whips for their fortress guard to dispense lashes as punishment.  A leather whip would do very little actual damage,

...dude, I like the idea, but seriously, research your shit. Being lashed was lethal as all fuck-off, man. Still is. Lash somebody too much? Too bad, now they're dead. Lashers who were ordered to give somebody twenty strokes with the whip would count to a number just a few below the actually ordered amount of lashings, just on the off-chance they miscounted and needed some leeway to make sure they didn't kill the victim.

Y'know that "crack" noise you hear when Indiana Jones pulls those impressive bullwhip antics? That's the whip breaking the goddamned sound barrier.

Imagine a thin, strong piece of leather hitting your back about twenty times in rapid succesion. That's what a lashing was. It doesn't need to be made of metal to score away flesh, it does that fine on its own - in the hands of a skilled user. It's certainly a tool of punishment (or cattle herdin', which we don't really need because dwarves are perfectly content to grab a huge, snarling crocodile by the tail and drag it to the proper pasture or cage), and doesn't have much use as a weapon (when it's made of leather, at least), but please, don't underestimate the power of a whip. Giving somebody a lashing will leave them near dead - and in the worst cases, just plum dead.

Just don't assign any weapons to your captain of the guard and he'll punch the living buggery out of any criminal. Or, y'know - spend a few chains and make a jail, so they don't get beaten at all.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 11:03:02 am »

lashings were normaly done in bachs of 20, 50 or 100 lashes at one flogging, to stop them from dieing (thayd just hange if that was the aim)

if dwarfs stoped if the offender fanted or got pale
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:12:02 am »

It would be nice if dwarves could create leather whips for their fortress guard to dispense lashes as punishment.  A leather whip would do very little actual damage,

...dude, I like the idea, but seriously, research your shit. Being lashed was lethal as all fuck-off, man. Still is. Lash somebody too much? Too bad, now they're dead. Lashers who were ordered to give somebody twenty strokes with the whip would count to a number just a few below the actually ordered amount of lashings, just on the off-chance they miscounted and needed some leeway to make sure they didn't kill the victim.

Y'know that "crack" noise you hear when Indiana Jones pulls those impressive bullwhip antics? That's the whip breaking the goddamned sound barrier.

Imagine a thin, strong piece of leather hitting your back about twenty times in rapid succesion. That's what a lashing was. It doesn't need to be made of metal to score away flesh, it does that fine on its own - in the hands of a skilled user. It's certainly a tool of punishment (or cattle herdin', which we don't really need because dwarves are perfectly content to grab a huge, snarling crocodile by the tail and drag it to the proper pasture or cage), and doesn't have much use as a weapon (when it's made of leather, at least), but please, don't underestimate the power of a whip. Giving somebody a lashing will leave them near dead - and in the worst cases, just plum dead.

Just don't assign any weapons to your captain of the guard and he'll punch the living buggery out of any criminal. Or, y'know - spend a few chains and make a jail, so they don't get beaten at all.

Yeah, that;s accurate.  Sorry, my head was in mechanics: whips I believe are classified "blunt" and leather... is not a blunt weapon useful material.  to have properly agonizing/lethal leather whips, the whip weapon would have to be overhauled.

Not that that would be a bad thing, mind.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 11:00:28 pm »

I cannot imagine a human being that could survive 100 lashes.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 11:18:59 pm »

I cannot imagine a human being that could survive 100 lashes.

Wouldn't it really depend on the person doing the whipping?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 08:07:43 am »

Here in brazil back to XVIII and XIX they punished people with no more than one hundred lashes,in Rome  IIRC they used a 39  lashes limit
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 08:17:06 am »

The reason there are no ordinary whips is because currently there arn't even forms of non-lethal punishment that isn't simply imprisonment or simply "It only happens during world gen"

It isn't something I would have ruled out, but it is something we are going to have to wait for.

Mind you all that means is that you have to brainstorm about types of leather whips and its possibilities... rather then making a point about it being added.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 08:47:41 am »

And in the current versions we dwarfs and other races do not "try" to commit crimes like stealing or murdering outside worldgen.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 09:15:40 am »

Hammering is way more dwarfy but it should be in such way that victim doesnt die

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 10:25:32 am »

Hammering is way more dwarfy but it should be in such way that victim doesnt die

Actually Hammering works by a sort of "Trial by Fire" principle in that you are meant to die but if you do survive you were somehow meant to.

There have been similar forms of execution where they really did leave the opportunity to survive open intentionally.

It isn't a "Awsome" alternative to relatively harmless flogging... It is a form of execution or severe maiming.
Pages: [1] 2 3